RAID Partitioned Drive

AverageHardware
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

And I'm assuming hardware raid is better than software right?

It has advantages and disadvantages. The benefits of hardware RAID tend to be pretty specific, and only come when you're spending a lot of money on a good card. 

Between Software RAID and cheap Hardware RAID, you'll actually be better going with Software RAID from a performance standpoint, and it won't offer any of the advantages that more expensive hardware RAID does. You can go with Intel's in-built RAID controller, but it has the same issue as hardware RAID, where it just sees the drives as a whole. (I would advise the on-board RAID controller over a cheap dedicated card). 

Higher end RAID cards have a power-loss protected cache, as well as support for a large variety of complicated RAIDs, as well as often having notifications for when a drive fails on the array. 

Basically, dedicated hardware RAID is not really a consumer need, as the good quality ones are very expensive (especially not worth it for a simple RAID 1 setup, which can be handled on-board or through software).

There's a detailed explanation over here: http://serverfault.com/questions/685289/software-vs-hardware-raid-performance-and-cache-usage

In my PC I have a 1TB drive, and a 2TB drive. Is it possible for me to make 2 1TB partitions on the 2TB HDD, and then raid one of the partitions with the 1TB drive?

Is it even worth doing? I'm looking for a RAID 1.

Is it worth spending the effort to rip a 1TB out of an enclosure I have and just raid 2x 1TB?

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

that would not help because both partitions are on the same drive...

raid 0 takes advantage of having the speed doubled by two drives working at the same time

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

raid 0 takes advantage of having the speed doubled by two drives working at the same time

I think you aren't understanding. I want to RAID 1 a 1TB drive, with a 1TB partition on another 2TB drive.

He's looking to basically have a 1TB drive in RAID 1 with a 1TB partition of a 2TB drive, with the other TB separate. The two Partitions for RAID 1 are on different drives. 

@OP It's possible with Windows RAID, but tends not to work with hardware RAID , as it just sees the drives a whole and not partitions. 

I think you aren't understanding. I want to RAID 1 a 1TB drive, with a 1TB partition on another 2TB drive.

oh i see what you're trying to do

no, the raid will use the entire 2TB disk and you effectively will only have 1TB of usable space

https://www.google.ca/#q=raid+different+size+drives

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

He's looking to basically have a 1TB drive in RAID 1 with a 1TB partition of a 2TB drive, with the other TB separate. The two Partitions for RAID 1 are on different drives. 

@OP It's possible with Windows RAID, but tends not to work with hardware RAID , as it just sees the drives a whole and not partitions. 

yeah I know that, he already told me, look above ^^^

Spoiler

yeah I know that, he already told me, look above ^^^

Yeah, I replied before the thread updated. 

Should be possible through Windows RAID though. 

Yeah, I replied before the thread updated. 

Should be possible through Windows RAID though. 

It has advantages and disadvantages. The benefits of hardware RAID tend to be pretty specific, and only come when you're spending a lot of money on a good card. 

Between Software RAID and cheap Hardware RAID, you'll actually be better going with Software RAID from a performance standpoint, and it won't offer any of the advantages that more expensive hardware RAID does. You can go with Intel's in-built RAID controller, but it has the same issue as hardware RAID, where it just sees the drives as a whole. (I would advise the on-board RAID controller over a cheap dedicated card). 

Higher end RAID cards have a power-loss protected cache, as well as support for a large variety of complicated RAIDs, as well as often having notifications for when a drive fails on the array. 

Basically, dedicated hardware RAID is not really a consumer need, as the good quality ones are very expensive (especially not worth it for a simple RAID 1 setup, which can be handled on-board or through software).

There's a detailed explanation over here: http://serverfault.com/questions/685289/software-vs-hardware-raid-performance-and-cache-usage

I can swap the 2TB for a 1TB I have in an enclosure and just use hardware RAID with the onboard RAID controller. I'll probably do that instead of messing with partitions.

~snip~

Hey there AverageHardware :)

It should be easy to pull through the Disk Management option. You should have both the 1TB and the 2TB drives as unallocated and then simply select the New Mirrored Volume, including both drives. The second half of the 2TB drive should remain as unallocated which you can then configure as another separate volume. Do have in mind that the process formats both drives and any info from them is deleted. :)
I wouldn't recommend it, though. I would use two NAS/RAID-class drives for this with the same capacity and model just to minimize the risk of a drive dropping out of the RAID. WD Red should be a good choice for that: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=zBRq16 :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/