Quick thoughts about PC Gaming from a Non Demographic Targeted Group

Sailordude9980

Im kind of late to the party being 35. I grew up, got lucky, got paid and spent the cash on a over the top PC rig. 5 months in it seems that support for SLI is limited, surround monitors (3) limited, then the "main titles" are almost unplayable. I am rather patient and there are some games that I have bought that have just blown my mind (GTA 5, Battlefield 4 etc). I am the first to get killed in any FPS, but the game is so well designed, it doesn't really matter to me.

And no, this isn't a troll rant on PC Games......unless I mentioned my 4 year olds Nintendo Wi.

Im kind of late to the party being 35. I grew up, got lucky, got paid and spent the cash on a over the top PC rig. 5 months in it seems that support for SLI is limited, surround monitors (3) limited, then the "main titles" are almost unplayable. I am rather patient and there are some games that I have bought that have just blown my mind (GTA 5, Battlefield 4 etc). I am the first to get killed in any FPS, but the game is so well designed, it doesn't really matter to me.

And no, this isn't a troll rant on PC Games......unless I mentioned my 4 year olds Nintendo Wi.

What is the point you are trying to make? Are you disappointed? Just making some neutral comments? 

The general demographic I play with on PC are adults with families and real lives. Most don't care as much about everything being perfect...rather... just like to play a fun game every so often. 

I have the money and monitors to do eyefinity/surround. Tried it, don't care for it at all, and now save money by only needing to power 1 monitor for games. Support is much better now, but still not the best. I mostly play multiplayer online with friends - Otherwise I get bored and don't play. So, because I focus on online multiplayer - Having higher FPS and less buggyness from not doing surround is more important to me. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

AAA titles are gonna die in a fire soon if the devs dont realise they're just fishing more money out of old concepts.

i suggest looking into games by smaller, less known companies, because they know their games will have to stand out for them to even break even.

a good example is talos principle. it tries to reach the audience portal and portal 2 appeal to.

what they delivered is a graphically appealing game with a deep narrative, complex puzzles, driving the player to think outside the box even more than portal even did. to get all the extra goals in talos you'll have to literally think outside the level to achieve your goal.

not to mention they went to the effort of delivering what may as well be the longest config list i ever seen. (and thats coming from a modded minecraft player)

meanwhile the AAA devs dont even go trough the hassle of providing ultrawide support.

--

if you feel you're lacking speed for an FPS, trust me, i know the experience. might be worth looking into slower paced games, that maybe require a deeper insight some of the "quickscope" FPS players dont have.

Many of the major releases recently have been buggy and unsatisfying due to a bunch of problems with the industry recently. I usually play games that have been out for at least a few months and I never pre-order. As a result, I am almost never disappointed by purchasing a game.

Also, FPS games may not be for you. There are so many genres out there that it's almost impossible not to find something you will enjoy. Racing, strategy, puzzle, and role-playing games are just a few of the many genres that don't require the same skillset as shooters. Experiment, try a couple of other genres, pick up some older games. You never know what you will end up liking.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Making neutral comments and getting a perspective from people like you. You brought up some points that I didn't think about

I do think there's some serious attitude problems developer/publisher-side in terms of what's acceptable, but I think the gravitation toward open-world sandbox games probably isn't helping a lot. I have to imagine that the potential for glitches and bugs is much higher when you have a much larger environment with less-easy-to-predict interactions.

That is a good point regarding the open world type of games. Create a bland sandbox, and keep engaged with "New and Exciting Features) aka Patches.

Intel I7-6700 Unlocked / Asus Z170 Delux3 Motherboard / EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SLI / Crucial 256GB SSD X3 / 27" Asus ROG Swift Monitor x 3 / Windows 10 / Corsair h100i GTX / TM 458 / TM shifter / Astro A50 Headset / Sound Blaster Z / Corsair DDR4 2133mhz 16GB DualMemory / Bucket of Chicken