1440p or 1080p?

xukaiteo

Hello, I am looking for a high refresh rate monitor to play games on it. But I do not know if I should get a 1080p monitor or a 1440p monitor. If I were to get a 1080p monitor, say the BenQ XL2430T, I will be able to play games at framerates capable of utilizing the 144hz that the monitor can offer. But I worry that 1080p will be getting obsolete and 1440p will take over. If I were to get a 1440p monitor, say the BenQ XL2730Z, I do not have to worry if the monitor will get obsolete as I think it will last a lot longer than 1080p. But i won't be able to play games at framerates capable of utilizing the 144hz the monitor can offer. I don't plan to buy another GTX 970 as I am on a budget. I don't think I would want to get a 60hz monitor.

The games I play are CSGO, GTAV and Osu!.

So here are my questions,

1) 1440p? Or 1080p?

2) How bad will it look if I play games in 1080p on a 1440p monitor?

3) Is 1080p going to be obsolete soon?

Please advise.

Thanks

1. 1440p.

2. It should look fine.

3. 1080p won't be obsolete any time soon.

I doubt the 970 will be able to get up to 144 fps on most newer games, I'm sure it wouldn't have much trouble with it on cs:go or osu!, but on GTA V, you'd probably struggle if you had decently high settings.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1. 1440p.

2. It should look fine.

3. 1080p won't be obsolete any time soon.

Thank you for the quick reply.

So you think that 1440p will be a better choice. Why?

Thank you for the quick reply.

So you think that 1440p will be a better choice. Why?

Updated my above post.

You can fit quite a bit more stuff onto a 1440p screen, and for cs:go and osu!, I'm sure you could run them easily at 1440p, which would make the game look somewhat better than it would on a 1080p monitor.

Just what I would personally choose, you'll notice the higher resolution much more than you would notice a higher refresh rate.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hello, I am looking for a high refresh rate monitor to play games on it. But I do not know if I should get a 1080p monitor or a 1440p monitor. If I were to get a 1080p monitor, say the BenQ XL2430T, I will be able to play games at framerates capable of utilizing the 144hz that the monitor can offer. But I worry that 1080p will be getting obsolete and 1440p will take over. If I were to get a 1440p monitor, say the BenQ XL2730Z, I do not have to worry if the monitor will get obsolete as I think it will last a lot longer than 1080p. But i won't be able to play games at framerates capable of utilizing the 144hz the monitor can offer. I don't plan to buy another GTX 970 as I am on a budget. I don't think I would want to get a 60hz monitor.

The games I play are CSGO, GTAV and Osu!.

So here are my questions,

1) 1440p? Or 1080p?

2) How bad will it look if I play games in 1080p on a 1440p monitor?

3) Is 1080p going to be obsolete soon?

Please advise.

Thanks

1) 1440p

2) Won't look "bad" but it will be blurrier. It won't look sharp as it is not it's native resolution, especially if the monitor is bigger (27 inch vs 24 for example).

3) Depends, obsolete for the mainstream? Hell no, consoles only just reached 1080p. Obsolete for enthusiasts? It was, a long time ago in fact. 1440p has been out for a while now, and monitors supporting  165hz on 1440p have started to just come out, so soon we ll start to see those high hertz in 4K (I hope) with the graphics cards to run it too.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Updated my above post.

You can fit quite a bit more stuff onto a 1440p screen, and for cs:go and osu!, I'm sure you could run them easily at 1440p, which would make the game look somewhat better than it would on a 1080p monitor.

Just what I would personally choose, you'll notice the higher resolution much more than you would notice a higher refresh rate.

I see. That is quite true. I also do not actually run CSGO at native resolutions so in terms of performance, it should be the same for that game. I guess even some games the developers will cap the framerates at 60fps so even if you have a 144hz monitor, it will be quite useless. Correct me if I am wrong. So maybe running games at a higher resolution will be more noticeable.

1) 1440p

2) Won't look "bad" but it will be blurrier. It won't look sharp as it is not it's native resolution, especially if the monitor is bigger (27 inch vs 24 for example).

3) Depends, obsolete for the mainstream? Hell no, consoles only just reached 1080p. Obsolete for enthusiasts? It was, a long time ago in fact. 1440p has been out for a while now, and monitors supporting  165hz on 1440p have started to just come out, so soon we ll start to see those high hertz in 4K (I hope) with the graphics cards to run it too.

Thank you for your reply.

How blurry will it be? Setting your resolution in game to 720p on a 1080p monitor? That blurry?

Also, why did you choose 1440p? Also for the ability to fit more stuff on the screen like TheKDub?

I see. That is quite true. I also do not actually run CSGO at native resolutions so in terms of performance, it should be the same for that game. I guess even some games the developers will cap the framerates at 60fps so even if you have a 144hz monitor, it will be quite useless. Correct me if I am wrong. So maybe running games at a higher resolution will be more noticeable.

Thank you for your reply.

How blurry will it be? Setting your resolution in game to 720p on a 1080p monitor? That blurry?

Also, why did you choose 1440p? Also for the ability to fit more stuff on the screen like TheKDub?

Yes pretty much that blurry if it is a 27 inch, but if you have a 24 inch 1440p monitor then not as bad. The bigger the monitor, the bigger the pixel stretch it seems. (or at least looks like it to me).

I went 1440p because I have been at 1080p for a while now and with my new PC build, I was tempted to go 4K but I couldn't limit myself to 60hz after owning a 144hz 1080p display. And since there is no hardware out there to even run all games maxed at 60fps at 4K yet, let alone higher hertz, I decided to 165hz 1440p, and it is amazing. The higher the res, the better things look. Also more screen space as well yeah.

Yes pretty much that blurry if it is a 27 inch, but if you have a 24 inch 1440p monitor then not as bad. The bigger the monitor, the bigger the pixel stretch it seems. (or at least looks like it to me).

I went 1440p because I have been at 1080p for a while now and with my new PC build, I was tempted to go 4K but I couldn't limit myself to 60hz after owning a 144hz 1080p display. And since there is no hardware out there to even run all games maxed at 60fps at 4K yet, let alone higher hertz, I decided to 165hz 1440p, and it is amazing. The higher the res, the better things look. Also more screen space as well yeah.

I see. Is the difference between 144hz and 165hz noticeable?

I see. Is the difference between 144hz and 165hz noticeable?

I see it, but to the normal person probably not. I've played 144hz for over 3-4 years now, so it's probably why.

I see it, but to the normal person probably not. I've played 144hz for over 3-4 years now, so it's probably why.

Ah I see, the difference won't be as drastic as 60hz to 144hz right? So if I were to get a 1440p monitor, will the resolution be worth the performance hit? Also, the times when your pc is only able to run games at 60fps, is there a difference if it's displayed on a 60hz monitor and a 144hz monitor? Lastly, is G-sync worth it?

Ah I see, the difference won't be as drastic as 60hz to 144hz right? So if I were to get a 1440p monitor, will the resolution be worth the performance hit? Also, the times when your pc is only able to run games at 60fps, is there a difference if it's displayed on a 60hz monitor and a 144hz monitor? Lastly, is G-sync worth it?

It is definitely worth it, but no matter how much I say, you won't know till you try it yourself. And no 60fps will look the same on 144hz and 60hz monitor. G sync indeed is worth it, it is probably the reason I bough this monitor that I have, apart from the 165hz. There is a lot you can read up on that, and watch plenty of Gsync explanation videos on youtube which will describe it's pros to you a lot better than I can. But basically it eliminates screen tear (just like vsync) without causing your game to lag as it has variable refresh rate or something along those lines.

It is definitely worth it, but no matter how much I say, you won't know till you try it yourself. And no 60fps will look the same on 144hz and 60hz monitor. G sync indeed is worth it, it is probably the reason I bough this monitor that I have, apart from the 165hz. There is a lot you can read up on that, and watch plenty of Gsync explanation videos on youtube which will describe it's pros to you a lot better than I can. But basically it eliminates screen tear (just like vsync) without causing your game to lag as it has variable refresh rate or something along those lines.

Thanks iiNNeX. I will probably look for a 1440p 144hz monitor now. Any to recommend?

Thanks iiNNeX. I will probably look for a 1440p 144hz monitor now. Any to recommend?

Well these two were the kinds in 1440p before the 165hz one came out: 

1. Asus PG278Q 

2. Acer XB270HU

Not cheap but good monitors. The Asus one had issues with quality control at first but I believe they fixed that with the later batches.