I wish to create a server but i have no idea what parts to use

gnaby2

Hello, i wish to build a server to run minecraft servers (1 or 2 modded + 1 vanilla), a teamspeak server, gmod server and a cs go server (the gmod and cs go are only to be switched on when needed) and all of those servers are to be running at the same time except for the gmod and cs go.

My budget would be between 800$ - 1000$ (the budget can only be extended if the components are worth it and not too much over the limit)

Could you help me to chose parts for the server since that i have no idea what i would need (eg i7, or xeon or amd?). I have experience in computer building, and i know that i need more than 8 Mb of cpu cache memory. I will be very thankful for anyone that is helpful to me. This build will be brought around christmas time since this is when i will get some money.

Cordially,

Gnaby2

Aloha!

I'm still learning the server side of things myself, but if you're looking for a server, I would only consider the xeon processors...

it'll make a much more stable system for you in the long run...   and stability in a server is extremely important to most people :)

I'm in the process of finding/building a server myself and my budget is much smaller, but I don't need such a wide range of things, I mostly need cpu power and hard drive space, so I'm getting a refurbished server that's got 2 quad-core xeon 3Ghz cpu's with plenty of hard drive space to spare...

Good luck on your project!

i don't really need the hdd space, i am just going to buy a 120 Gb ssd, it is really just to be able to have private game servers + communication server

If you want dedicated server hardware, your best bet is buying a refurbished/ Ex-Datacenter unit because it is a lot less expensive, however, you could build your own, but to get something reliable, with a powerful CPU, and the cheapest passive GPU known to man, it'll run you very close to $1000USD. The following components would be suitable. This does not include an OS, however, if you want to run virtual servers, you I would advise VMware ESXi or Hyper-V in Server 2012 R2.

ASRock B85M PRO3 Motherboard 4th Generation Core i7/i5/i3/Xeon/Pentium/Celeron Socket 1150 Intel B85

Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 CPU (3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 8MB Cache, LGA1150 Socket)

Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive

Corsair Builder Series CXM 750W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU 

Corsair CC-9011075-WW Carbide Series 100R Windowed Mid-Tower ATX Computer Case - Black

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz C9 XMP Performance Memory Kit - Black
Asus GL552JX i7-4720HQ, 16GB DDR3, 128GB M.2 SSD / 500GB SATA SSD, GTX 950M 2GB, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.1 Pro, Server 2012 R2 DC 

i5-4690K, MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, 250GB SSD, CX750 PSU, XFX R7 260X, Windows 7 Ultimate

IT Technician by day, UberGeek By Night - Sleep Is For Wimps ;) 

You need to have good internet speeds for a server, and you SHOULD NOT use WiFi.

This system here would be more than capable of doing what you want, without the extra cost of server grade hardware    -     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101216

Ew. I disagree with you. An unreliable shitty power supply, an unpowerful processor (at best), not enough ram, junky mobo... sorry i just dont agree with you here

EDIT: posting a build in a second

If you want dedicated server hardware, your best bet is buying a refurbished/ Ex-Datacenter unit because it is a lot less expensive, however, you could build your own, but to get something reliable, with a powerful CPU, and the cheapest passive GPU known to man, it'll run you very close to $1000USD. The following components would be suitable. This does not include an OS, however, if you want to run virtual servers, you I would advise VMware ESXi or Hyper-V in Server 2012 R2.

ASRock B85M PRO3 Motherboard 4th Generation Core i7/i5/i3/Xeon/Pentium/Celeron Socket 1150 Intel B85

Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 CPU (3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 8MB Cache, LGA1150 Socket)

Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive

Corsair Builder Series CXM 750W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU 

Corsair CC-9011075-WW Carbide Series 100R Windowed Mid-Tower ATX Computer Case - Black

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz C9 XMP Performance Memory Kit - Black

could you give me a link to the memory because i am not quite sure what one it is.

i would have used linux to run the programs, i got a total of 928.28$ adding on water cooling, ssd, and i am maybe considering buying 2 additional fans. i don't think i am going to be messing about with VMware ESXi or Hyper-V in Server 2012 R2 because i think linux is god enough for my utilization.

Asus GL552JX i7-4720HQ, 16GB DDR3, 128GB M.2 SSD / 500GB SATA SSD, GTX 950M 2GB, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.1 Pro, Server 2012 R2 DC 

i5-4690K, MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, 250GB SSD, CX750 PSU, XFX R7 260X, Windows 7 Ultimate

IT Technician by day, UberGeek By Night - Sleep Is For Wimps ;) 

You don't need anything powerful for a server if you're not data / number crunching.

You could use normal consumer hardware. I have a computer that I built almost 9 years ago running as my server.

Ok, it's nothing demanding, but 8/10 of the time it idles and has never been maxed out.

It's not a race to the bottom.

i see, i have xfinity internet, but the problem is that verizon does not have the coverage in my area restraining me from fibre optic. would there be a way to have a very high debit internet without going through normal operators

As the others mentioned, building a machine with server grade hardware using top tier components is a bit overkill for what you are wanting.  Its why I linked to the basic system earlier, sure its not a super high end PC, but its more than enough for what you need and its cheap.

You get an entire system already in a case, with decent processor, more than enough ram, and a free SSD with purchase.

the only problem with your system, is that i do not have enough cache memory on the cpu

my only question about the supermicro motherboard is what sort of case does it fit in ? because it says that is is an ATX board is it in general meaning that i can use a regular case, or does it mean ATX server wise size meaning i need to buy a server tower??????

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6000/SR56x0/H8SGL-F.cfm

ummmmmmm....... i do not know, my dad did it, but like you said, you need a good upload speed and it might be not enough. but is it possible to have a provider that an offer you upload speeds like 20 Mb/s ????

If your upload isn't good enough you won't be able to host anything in the first place.

This.

I've seen people plan minecraft servers for 300 slots or more with low end i5 processors, even i3.  And then they fall flat on their ass because their network can't handle 20 people..........

I'd save the money you're planning on wasting on that server hardware for buying faster connection from your ISP.

but how can i get a fast conection ? i believe that the plan higher than ours is not upping the internet conection

How many players you planning on hosting? 15mbps will run around 20 players fine, maybe 30 with lag.

i just looked at google fibre, i guess i am just going to have to wait for updates on it since it could provide me with a gigabit upload/download speeds for 70$/month

about 5 people, on a modded server and the last speedtest i did got me 166Mb/s download, and 11Mb/s upload. but i can get up to 5 mb/s upload and 70 Mb/s download

but it is sort of throwing my money away, and my dad doesn't want to pay for that, he'd rather buy a server than renting one

but it is sort of throwing my money away, and my dad doesn't want to pay for that, he'd rather buy a server than renting one

in that case i would go for an i5. you dont need much if you arent hosting many people. Additionally i recomend getting some actual use out of your system to make it worthwile. Like for example setting up a NAS (with something like freenas and maybe even setting it up to use FTP so you can have your own cloud wherever you go), and possibly setting up stuff like: a media server, a vpn, a firewall.... be creative