Does PhysX run better on a 4790K or 780TI

Michael Rahmani
Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

GPUs are much more powerful than CPUs.

PhysX is designed/intended to be run on the GPU.

I'm curious to know if PhysX runs better on my GPU or CPU. A lot of people say if your CPU is more powerful than your GPU, then you should set it to the CPU. Meanwhile, other people say PhysX is designed for a GPU architecture, and if you set it to the CPU it will put a lot of unneeded strain on it. Does it even matter what you set it to?

Thanks in advance!

Physx is highly parallelized code which takes advantage of the thousands of cores inside a GPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The option to set it to the cpu is mainly for amd users i believe. But in most cases, as long as your cpu is not already bottlenecking the gpu, there shouldn't be much of a difference. 

I take borderlands 2 as an example. I used to hover around 60 fps at 1440p ulta on my gtx 770. After switching to my r9 290 and setting the cpu to handle physx, I am getting close to 90 fps at 1440p ultra. And quality-wise I can't tell the difference.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

The issue is when you are have 1 card those "toggleable physx settings" are going to put a massive strain on the 1 card since the card is pumping out the gfx and doing the phyx processing.

In games without a togglable setting (project cars) the cpu handles phyx no matter if you are on nvidia or AMD gpus

If you have 2 cards leaving it on auto is best but you would be better of setting it to gpu generally speaking.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

OK, thanks everyone! I set it to GPU through the NVIDIA control panel instead of ingame settings so its global. 

GPUs are much more powerful than CPUs.

PhysX is designed/intended to be run on the GPU.

Trying to compare completely different architecture in terms of 'power' is largely meaningless. CPUs can handle far more complex computations that GPUs can't possibly process, whereas GPUs can deal with simple tasks in parallel more efficiently than the relatively limited CPU cores can cope with.

Physics functions are fairly simple, and are increasingly associated with the GPU, due to the architecture being better suited.