C#, Where to start?

DarkBlade2117

So in around 6 weeks I will be taking a C# class because I have always wanted to learn to code. I would have taken a Java course though it required C#. Where would I start? I have little to no idea on how to code and would like to at least know something before I take the class. The class is online also, but basically just want to have some idea of what I am doing.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

msdn maybe? I think I did a course taught by robert tabor.  https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Sharp-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners helpful if you've not done any sort of programming before. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

At the beginnign. Literally. go from the simplest programs (console applications). use Stack Overflow and MS database for help with algorithms and syntax. sooner or later you get it. its an ugly language though

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

At the beginnign. Literally. go from the simplest programs (console applications). use Stack Overflow and MS database for help with algorithms and syntax. sooner or later you get it. its an ugly language though

Personally, C# is a fun, versatile, and easy to read and understand language. It has many different uses and can be utilized in applications ranging from game development to windows applications to mobile phone apps. By far my favorite language to program in. I'd recommend having simple ideas for a windows program and playing around with those ideas, experiment, figure out how things work and if you get stuck, google it! I taught myself C# using that methodology and It remains my go-to language when available. You will be taking a class so you don't necessarily need to become fluent beforehand, so in the meantime just have some fun and make some silly programs.

Personally, C# is a fun, versatile, and easy to read and understand language. It has many different uses and can be utilized in applications ranging from game development to windows applications to mobile phone apps. By far my favorite language to program in. I'd recommend having simple ideas for a windows program and playing around with those ideas, experiment, figure out how things work and if you get stuck, google it! I taught myself C# using that methodology and It remains my go-to language when available. You will be taking a class so you don't necessarily need to become fluent beforehand, so in the meantime just have some fun and make some silly programs.

oh i never said its bad, or useless. just, i come from python, then C++, then back to python and C#. and if i had to choose one language to use from now on, id choose python because its just so readable. if i didnt care for taht, C# is simply the best thing to come to existence ever. i adore it for most things, but since most of my code is done to teach high school kids, python is my current goto language.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I've been coding since I was 16, and C# was the first thing I dived into first. I really got a good hand of it and made Snapchat in C#. I thought it was pretty cool.

I've been coding since I was 16, and C# was the first thing I dived into first. I really got a good hand of it and made Snapchat in C#. I thought it was pretty cool.

Made snapchat? What? You are THAT guy?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I made a example of snapchat for fun haha

Which program did you use? Like Xamsrian Studio or??

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Which program did you use? Like Xamsrian Studio or??

If you're using Windows you should be using Visual Studio. If you're not, Xamarin Studio might be a decent alternative.

oh i never said its bad, or useless. just, i come from python, then C++, then back to python and C#. and if i had to choose one language to use from now on, id choose python because its just so readable. if i didnt care for taht, C# is simply the best thing to come to existence ever. i adore it for most things, but since most of my code is done to teach high school kids, python is my current goto language.

Eww Python

It's readable, but it's not very practical.

If you're using Windows you should be using Visual Studio. If you're not, Xamarin Studio might be a decent alternative.

Not really. Visual Studio is great, although I kind of like the text editor + separate compiler route

Not really. Visual Studio is great, although I kind of like the text editor + separate compiler route

That's fair, when I made my comment I wasn't thinking about the text editor users. I'm sure some people do prefer that route. I would certainly be interested to talk with those people and know how they do things.

Eww Python

It's readable, but it's not very practical.

python is amaizng for any kind of web server stuff, and is more than adequate for most tasks youd like to do, apart from scientific compute and hardcore games.

But a separate text editor rarely offers debugging, integrated git, syncing across different computers. The separate compiler is necessary for any serious program though, as the VS2014 one is shit, and 2015 is merely adequate, and definitely not GCC

So in around 6 weeks I will be taking a C# class because I have always wanted to learn to code. I would have taken a Java course though it required C#. Where would I start? I have little to no idea on how to code and would like to at least know something before I take the class. The class is online also, but basically just want to have some idea of what I am doing.

have u looked at barnacules codegasm serie on youtube? he uses c#

Using a text editor and a separate compiler is probably best when you're just learning a language because a text editor won't "code for you." Visual Studio has amazing features and it's an awesome IDE but if you're a newbie it's almost writing the code for you. IDE's are useful for when you've become fairly fluent in a programming language and autocomplete saves time instead of saving you from learning.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Using a text editor and a separate compiler is probably best when you're just learning a language because a text editor won't "code for you." Visual Studio has amazing features and it's an awesome IDE but if you're a newbie it's almost writing the code for you. IDE's are useful for when you've become fairly fluent in a programming language and autocomplete saves time instead of saving you from learning.

And with this in mind, I would highly recommend grabbing Notepad++.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

You can use it as a simple Notepad replacement but it offers so much more.

The out of the box syntax highlighting for a multitude of common languages is amazing.

I used it a lot during my early college years when we were programming in Turbo Pascal 6.0.

Today, myself and every other professional software developer I've ever met has this little program in their toolkit.

It'll come in handy now and again. I promise.

Full disclosure, I've been working with C# professionally for all all types of projects for over 6 years now.

---