PC Water Spills

jackjayatherton

Hi just wondering if I where to accidentally spill some water over onto my components, could I use silica gel desiccant ( I have the colour indicator ones) to dry the components? 

only if its distilled water. 

pretty much anything conductive youre screwed

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

DON'T ******** TURN IT ON!!!!!

LEAVE IT DRY

sorry to be so harsh, 

Edited by Windspeed36

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I always used a bag of rice to dry components. There's a good chance your fried your stuff though :/

Edit: Yea, don't use bags of DO NOT EAT to dry the stuff.

I usually just use rice. Silica begins to vaporate the water really quickly once it saturated.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Water on components is 100% safe when there isn't any current flowing through them. However, if there is current flowing through and you spill water then you're going to have an issue. I know people who have had success with submerging things in rice to dry them. 

36289706.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You can completely submerge a motherboard in water, let it dry for a few days and it will work.

Depending on how much water you spilled on it, (if you spilled a lot) you should probably take out the cmos battery out and just let it evaporate... maybe even use a hairdryer to help it.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

You can completely submerge a motherboard in water, let it dry for a few days and it will work.

Depending on how much water you spilled on it, (if you spilled a lot) you should probably take out the cmos battery out and just let it evaporate... maybe even use a hairdryer to help it.

36289706.jpg

Water on components is 100% safe when there isn't any current flowing through them. However, if there is current flowing through and you spill water then you're going to have an issue. I know people who have had success with submerging things in rice to dry them. 

I usually just use rice. Silica begins to vaporate the water really quickly once it saturated.

I always used a bag of rice to dry components. There's a good chance your fried your stuff though :/

Edit: Yea, don't use bags of DO NOT EAT to dry the stuff.

DON'T ******** TURN IT ON!!!!!

LEAVE IT DRY

sorry to be so harsh, 

only if its distilled water. 

pretty much anything conductive youre screwed

PEople I k now all this stuff, the question was would silica gel be effective in the quick drying of them!

PEople I k now all this stuff, the question was would silica gel be effective in the quick drying of them!

Then why bother asking if you already knew a tried and true method?

If it's off then don't turn it on!

But yes, put a load of DO NOT EAT in a tub and submerge your component in there for a day or two to dry it out.

I keep a bunch of DO NOT EAT in my drawer just in case.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Hey people, first post, hopefully someone can help me out. I spilt water on my k60 mechanical keyboard and after drying it for several days tried it out to see if it still worked. For the most part it did but unfortunately there are about 6 keys which register additional keystrokes ( pushing space gives me a space with a 7 " 7" like that) so I was wonering if anyone here was had any experience in fixing this issue. I have heard of submurging the pcb in deionized water and was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about that.

P.S Sorry if there are typos in my writing, I am using my spare keyboard which has a broken 'd' key you have to hit really hard lol.

Hey people, first post, hopefully someone can help me out. I spilt water on my k60 mechanical keyboard and after drying it for several days tried it out to see if it still worked. For the most part it did but unfortunately there are about 6 keys which register additional keystrokes ( pushing space gives me a space with a 7 " 7" like that) so I was wonering if anyone here was had any experience in fixing this issue. I have heard of submurging the pcb in deionized water and was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about that.

P.S Sorry if there are typos in my writing, I am using my spare keyboard which has a broken 'd' key you have to hit really hard lol.

Please do not steal people's threads to ask your question. I would suggest you to create a new thread in Peripherals/Troubleshooting in order to get this problem solved. I never heard of the method and personally I would not do that.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

My girlfriend fried the labtop keyboard twice.Yes 2 times spilling pop on it and it was a goner in 0.0 seconds.

oh sorry, I don't really know how forums work.

Nah man, It's fine, the OP has his answer. Its often better to ask on an existing thread then stard a new one with the same question. You made a good decision. If you started a new thread, people would just bash you for not "using the search button". You can't humor all the people.

Anyway, my friend once came drunk home and vomitted in his case. To make matters worse, he keeps the side door open.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.