Cyberith Virtualizer

(Didn't find a thread about this, sorry if it's a repost)

Basically, it's like an Omni. However it looks pretty awesome to me. Unlike the Omni, you can jump and crouch with the virtualizer which for me was crazy

I don't know about the platform though, it's basically a low friction pad that you stand on; I like the one on the omni better, however you don't seem to need any special shoes for this one, anyways take a look for yourselves.

http://www.cyberith.com/index.php?menu=virtualizer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E6O_OUW8Xg

CPU: Intel i7-4770k MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX 2x8GB 1600Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 780 DCuII CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo STORAGE: ADATA SX900 256GB / WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair AX760 760W MONITOR: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM KEYBOARD: Ducky Shine 3 MOUSE: Logitech G602 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106614-project-insert-name-enthoo-primo-rigid-acrylic-red/

This beats the Omni so hopefully Virtuix will be able to improve the Omni so we won't have a monopoly. Also I hope the price will be similar if not lower that what the Omni is already.

This looks better than the OMNI by a fair margin... now there's competition, let's hope this will spice things up a bit and force OMNI to implement other features. 

Competition like this is really good for all parties, before we only had the OMNI which was offering and sort of virtual reality but now there are other companies who are challenging the monopoly OMNI previously had. 

The only issue I see is pricing, the machine they're using look a lot more complicated than what OMNI is using so it might be a bit more expensive....  :mellow: 

EDIT: "a bit more" may be an understatement when I think about it...

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I don't know about "better"... I mostly think the Omni is a bit overpriced, but not that much and from the look of the video the Omni provides a much more natural and versatile experience when it comes to the low-friction base pad; it may be different in other videos, but the one I saw of the Virtualizer made it look really unnatural requiring tiny steps and a lot of care not to accidentally slip around. Admittedly it does provide vastly superior vertical motion, i.e. crouching and jumping, but I wouldn't call it flat out better.

By the looks of it, the Virtualizer would potentially be priced higher than the Omni in my opinion, most probably because of the added vertical motion. At first glance, it doesn't look cheap either, it rather looks more expensive than the Omni. It's true that the low-friction base is flat out inferior to the one on the Omni. If they could improve that in some way, we would very possibly be looking at a more complete and more expensive unit

CPU: Intel i7-4770k MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX 2x8GB 1600Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 780 DCuII CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo STORAGE: ADATA SX900 256GB / WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair AX760 760W MONITOR: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM KEYBOARD: Ducky Shine 3 MOUSE: Logitech G602 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106614-project-insert-name-enthoo-primo-rigid-acrylic-red/

• 1 year later...

Their website says that there are 3 sensors built in the plate to detect movement. I assume the 3 pillars are used to detect standing position (upright/crouched). The full package of the Omni is priced at $699. The lowest price on the kickstarter for the virtualizer was the same. If its much more than that for retail it will be a matter of conveniences rather or not its better value than the Omni. I guess I'm just glad im not one of the people that pre purchased an Omni, now that they have competition.

Corsair Obsidan 750D - ASUS Crosshair V Formula - AMD FX-8350 (stock) - Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x  Ghz OC 4GB - Samsung 840 EVO 256GB (OS) - many other drives (11TB total) - 23" hp LV2311 (main) + 2x 23" ASUS PA233QR (peripheral) monitors - CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate (cherry browns) - Razer Naga 2014

Their website says that there are 3 sensors built in the plate to detect movement. I assume the 3 pillars are used to detect standing position (upright/crouched). The full package of the Omni is priced at $699. The lowest price on the kickstarter for the virtualizer was the same. If its much more than that for retail it will be a matter of conveniences rather or not its better value than the Omni. I guess I'm just glad im not one of the people that pre purchased an Omni, now that they have competition.

Wait.... Isn't this 2 years ago?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case