Running crossfire between 1x and 16x

destroyer3001

Hello all, I am currently using a AMD radeon HD 6970 gpu and was wondering can I buy another 6970 and run the cards in crossfire, only one catch is i only have one 16 x pcie slot so would have to run the second card in a pcie 1x slot, how well would this work? I at all, thanks in advance :)

1. Those two cards will provide little to no performance benefit over a single one.

2. I belive there is some cutting involved? Not to sure though.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

AMD requires x4 at the very least and x1 would give too little bandwidth. Additionally most PCIe x1 slots will not allow a x16 card to fit without modding the slot.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hello all, I am currently using a AMD radeon HD 6970 gpu and was wondering can I buy another 6970 and run the cards in crossfire, only one catch is i only have one 16 x pcie slot so would have to run the second card in a pcie 1x slot, how well would this work? I at all, thanks in advance :)

BADLY

If it was 16x / 4x it wouldn't be so bad, but the 1x slot will severely limit your crossfire to the point of you disabling it altogether. the 1x slot just can't pass enough data.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1. Those two cards will provide little to no performance benefit over a single one.

2. I belive there is some cutting involved? Not to sure though.

In regards to the performance benefits, I have no idea what you're talking about.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

In regards to the performance benefits, I have no idea what you're talking about.

my guess is he means you could just as well get a single card that would outperform a crossfire of 6970s

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Sorry I wasent clear enough, I meant - 

my guess is he means you could just as well get a single card that would outperform a crossfire of 6970s

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Wow thank you for the very quick replys, and yes I knew it would involve some cutting (except it doesn't as my pcie 1x slot already has been cut to allow a 4x card to be used there, yes I realise the 6970 is getting quite old now and I could get a card pretty cheap that would out perform 2 of them, but I just don't have the money, I have been offered a second 6970 for £10 so thought I would ask if it was possible, and because I can't afford another motherboard, CPU ( because I have LGA 1155 and would update) and copy of windows ( because OEM windows ) I am stuck with one 16 x slot... Looks like I am going to get saving for a better card :)