Fallout 4 FPS

Hydraengineer

Hello all!

I wanted to get some opinions about it whether it's my system or the game that has issues.

Whenever I go into a building and look around, my FPS drops from 55-60 down to the 30's. For example, I went to a water treatment plant for a quest. When coming up to the last lever, I pass a big yellow pump. If I stand close and directly look at that pump, my FPS drops to 30. If I back away however, while still looking at it, my FPS goes back up to the 55-60 range.

Is something bottlenecking my system, or is it simply because the game hasn't been optimized yet?

Medium game settings (with low God rays and medium shadow distance)

Also have the beta update installed.

CPU: i5-4460 3.2 GHZ

Ram: 8GB 

GPU: R9 380 4GB  (15.30 driver installed, which is the latest)

Windows 8.1 x64

Thanks!

Everyone has this, it's an issue with the game. There are a few mods to help, but I can't guarantee much improvement. One sec, I'll find links.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3uhgun/if_your_still_having_fps_drops_and_stutter_issues/

Edit again: This is also nice. http://dev-c.com/fallout4/shadowboost/

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Sounds like a game error, looking at a pump should not cause any FPS drops.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Everyone has this, it's an issue with the game. There are a few mods to help, but I can't guarantee much improvement. One sec, I'll find links.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3uhgun/if_your_still_having_fps_drops_and_stutter_issues/

I'm hoping it's just that the game needs fixing. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't my system.

Thanks for the help!

I'm hoping it's just that the game needs fixing. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't my system.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I have been having similar fps drops as well. 

if you have the game on steam you can opt-in for beta updates wich can fix that but at the same time it can break some other things. * at your own discretion *

if you have the game on steam you can opt-in for beta updates wich can fix that but at the same time it can break some other things. * at your own discretion *

Do not use the beta, it kills your fps, flat out murders it. Stick to the normal version and make sure you have the latest Crimson driver.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Do not use the beta, it kills your fps, flat out murders it. Stick to the normal version and make sure you have the latest Crimson driver.

I would have to disagree with you on that, it fixxed my FPS drop but did break other things like my compass bar no longer shows things unless im in a crouch position.

I would have to disagree with you on that, it fixxed my FPS drop but did break other things like my compass bar no longer shows things unless im in a crouch position.

Beyond easy to fix. First page on the nexus is the files you need to fix the compass. Just don't use the NMM, do it manually. Then you get the fps without the broken compass.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The water treatment plant seems to have that issue for everybody as far as I know. I don't have a great computer, so I am yet to complete the treatment plant mission due to the intense spikes.

"Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you." -John Wooden

Well, I tried all the mods that were suggested in the reddit post. Still had FPS issues inside buildings.

Guess I'll have to wait for more updates from AMD/Beth.

Again, thanks for the help.

I had same issues and no matter how low i set my grahpics the frame rate always dropped....turns out my ini files was set to real only :P i max the game out apart from godrays on high ans shadows on medium. Not much of a difference in visual fidelity to be honest and my framerate stays at 80 which is what I capped it to.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I had same issues and no matter how low i set my grahpics the frame rate always dropped....turns out my ini files was set to real only :P i max the game out apart from godrays on high ans shadows on medium. Not much of a difference in visual fidelity to be honest and my framerate stays at 80 which is what I capped it to.

What do you mean by real only?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I was experiencing some frame drops (from the "locked" limit of 60fps down to the low-mid 40s on occasion) when I was in the environs of Diamond City and in a location that allowed me to see for long distances (such as from the top of a tall building). I turned the shadow distance from ultra to high and I have been solid since (everything else is on ultra)

Not sure if changing the draw distance for shadows will help in your situation, but just wanted to chime in that it had a marked impact for me.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASUS Z87-Pro | Memory: 16gigs HyperX FuryX | Cooling: Xigmatek SD1483 Frostbourne 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 | PSU: EVGA 750W Gold+ modular | Storage: 128g adata SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD | Monitor: ASUS PA238QR

I was experiencing some frame drops (from the "locked" limit of 60fps down to the low-mid 40s on occasion) when I was in the environs of Diamond City and in a location that allowed me to see for long distances (such as from the top of a tall building). I turned the shadow distance from ultra to high and I have been solid since (everything else is on ultra)

Not sure if changing the draw distance for shadows will help in your situation, but just wanted to chime in that it had a marked impact for me.

Yeah, Shadow distance and God rays are usually the first suggestions. Unfortunately it hasn't helped.

Thanks for the help though.

What do you mean by real, are you talking about ultra settings? If so, that won't help. I'm on medium settings with this issue.

Yeah, Shadow distance and God rays are usually the first suggestions. Unfortunately it hasn't helped.

What do you mean by real, are you talking about ultra settings? If so, that won't help. I'm on medium settings with this issue.

I think they messed up 'read' only. The launcher seems to enjoy turning vsync back on so making the .ini files read only seems to be the only way to keep vsync off. Or it may just be when changing options via the launcher vsync is set back on.

I think they messed up 'read' only. The launcher seems to enjoy turning vsync back on so making the .ini files read only seems to be the only way to keep vsync off. Or it may just be when changing options via the launcher vsync is set back on.

I tried turning off Vsync and holy crap did it improve performance. Much better than before, even able to bump up settings to ultra now and still maintain a high FPS. Might have to knock down shadow distance as some areas downtown make it go down to the 40's.

What do you mean by real only?

Sorry, I was meant to say read only.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Was meant to say read only

An issue I've found is tessellation. It comes standard at 64x. Should be 16x. Rapes cards.

Turn off motion blur.

Turn off Vsync

Tunr off DoF

Be happy.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

An issue I've found is tessellation. It comes standard at 64x. Should be 16x. Rapes cards.

Turn off motion blur.

Turn off Vsync

Tunr off DoF

Be happy.

What line in the .ini file is tessellation?

The new "sli profile" released with Just cause game ready driver has made my framerate much much worse, I'm dropping into mid 20fps instead of high 50's?

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

The new "sli profile" released with Just cause game ready driver has made my framerate much much worse, I'm dropping into mid 20fps instead of high 50's?

Wrong thread conner. We are talking about fallout 4 and nothing about SLI.

As for what you're talking about. I don't know if they updated the drivers for JC3, but as far as I know the game currently isn't compatible with multi GPU systems ( NCIX Tech Tips Video about it -> https://youtu.be/p15qKhPiBLI?t=46s). 

What line in the .ini file is tessellation?

Sorry for late response. Not a line in the .ini. It's through CCC / AMD Radeon Settings.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build