What's your opinion on this laptop?

A friend came to me with this laptop. Thought I'd request a few more opinions on it. Feel free to throw down your own laptop suggestions.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315221CVF

His max budget is $800CAD - $600USD

Light gaming laptop. Don't run anything on max settings though.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460; MOBO: ASRock H97M-PRO4; RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1600MHz; SSD: A-Data SP600 128GB; HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB; GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB; PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W; Case: Thermaltake Core V21 w/ AF140 blue LED fan (exhaust); Monitor: Acer H226HQLBid 21.5" 60Hz 5ms IPS (GTG) HDMI

A friend came to me with this laptop. Thought I'd request a few more opinions on it. Feel free to throw down your own laptop suggestions.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315221CVF

His max budget is $800CAD - $600USD

I have a laptop with similar specs except a few generations older. I have an i5-3230m and GT 740M. Games run well on medium settings at 1366 x 768. The laptop you've linked to will probably struggle at 1080p though.

Along with that, I personally wouldn't like having a 17" laptop. That's just way too big for me, but your friend may want that. Also, I despise Acer laptops because I got 3 broken ones.

The specs aren't bad, but I would go with a smaller laptop and a different brand. However, it's up to you and your friend.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Pretty decent for the price. Although the i5 really falls short, it's pretty disappointing.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Pretty decent for the price. Although the i5 really falls short, it's pretty disappointing.

Yeah I was a little worried about that. My Surface has the same processor I believe, and it runs really well. Not sure about heavy multi-tasking though.

blackshades on

I have a laptop with similar specs except a few generations older. I have an i5-3230m and GT 740M. Games run well on medium settings at 1366 x 768. The laptop you've linked to will probably struggle at 1080p though.

Along with that, I personally wouldn't like having a 17" laptop. That's just way too big for me, but your friend may want that. Also, I despise Acer laptops because I got 3 broken ones.

The specs aren't bad, but I would go with a smaller laptop and a different brand. However, it's up to you and your friend.

I actually like the 1080P display on a laptop, and would choose a 1080P for myself. You're right about performance, but I believe he only plays CSGO and plans on using this for school. I personally trust Acer and I'll also take your opinion into consideration. Recieving broken items is really poor. He seems OK with the size; however, I'll mention it. Thanks

blackshades on

I actually like the 1080P display on a laptop, and would choose a 1080P for myself. You're right about performance, but I believe he only plays CSGO and plans on using this for school. I personally trust Acer and I'll also take your opinion into consideration. Recieving broken items is really poor. He seems OK with the size; however, I'll mention it. Thanks

I would LOVE a 1080p display on my laptop. Don't get me wrong. It's just that I wouldn't like a 17" screen. A 1080p 15" screen would be great IMHO. I use my laptop for school too, and (in high school) the desks barely fit a 15" laptop with whatever else you're working on. In college it wouldn't matter.

Glad to help

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Yeah I was a little worried about that. My Surface has the same processor I believe, and it runs really well. Not sure about heavy multi-tasking though.

Yeah I've tried it with my Alienware 13. As long as your really only doing 1 or 2 things at a time it does alright but any more than that and it really struggles. Twitch streams at source quality usually use about 50-70% CPU which for me really sucks.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂