USB or 3.5mm Jack

NigNogEggNog
Go to solution Solved by Quinnbeast,

A USB based device is doing all the processing outwith the PC (i.e. digital-to-analogue conversion, amplification etc). If you want to use the full features of headset, this would be the way to go.

3.5mm connection is just using mostly/entirely on-board processing (i.e. integrated motherboard chip or soundcard) and pretty much uses the headphones as an output device only i.e. will bypass certain /most features of the headset.

Hey guys. I recently bought a Kingston HyperX Cloud II headset and I was wondering which would be better and what the difference is between USB and the 3.5mm jack for this specific headset. I did a little research but I'm still sorta confused.

If it matters, I'm using a z97 MSI Gaming 5 motherboard.

Thank you! :)  

USB is digital, so it has less interference (buzzing sound whenever something happens on-screen), but analog onboard audio usually has higher output (headphones sound louder).

Just try both and see which one you like better. You have nothing to lose aside from 10 minutes of your time.

"Rawr XD"

USB is digital, so it has less interference (buzzing sound whenever something happens on-screen), but analog onboard audio usually has higher output (headphones sound louder).

Just try both and see which one you like better. You have nothing to lose aside from 10 minutes of your time.

I am planning to test it when I get home. I just wanted to know the difference. Thanks! :D

A USB based device is doing all the processing outwith the PC (i.e. digital-to-analogue conversion, amplification etc). If you want to use the full features of headset, this would be the way to go.

3.5mm connection is just using mostly/entirely on-board processing (i.e. integrated motherboard chip or soundcard) and pretty much uses the headphones as an output device only i.e. will bypass certain /most features of the headset.

Hey guys. I recently bought a Kingston HyperX Cloud II headset and I was wondering which would be better and what the difference is between USB and the 3.5mm jack for this specific headset. I did a little research but I'm still sorta confused.

If it matters, I'm using a z97 MSI Gaming 5 motherboard.

Thank you! :)  

The Hyper X Cloud II dongle is not very good, however.

The Hyper X Cloud II dongle is not very good, however.

Do you recommend I go with the 3.5mm jack instead of USB then? Is the surround sound really worth using?

On a side note, I really like the headset as it's comfortable and feels solid. I haven't been able to test it using games yet, so any advice is welcome for now.

Thanks!

Do you recommend I go with the 3.5mm jack instead of USB then? Is the surround sound really worth using?

On a side note, I really like the headset as it's comfortable and feels solid. I haven't been able to test it using games yet, so any advice is welcome for now.

Thanks!

Use your own judgement. If you notice noise while using the dongle, or overall poor sound quality, consider trying it straight from your computer.