I have been sent on a mission to complete a gaming rig (workstation) by Monday night. Need help, boys

WhOaMi-Gaming
Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,

So, a 4th or 5th gen i7 is what I should go for, ya?  Xeon, I dunno sounds off name brand made with china parts (kappapride).. Maybe, I am just out of the scene for too long.  

How will the machine handle with photo/video editing?  Anything a high schooler might need it for

Xeons are intel's highest binned and highest quality professional chips - if that sounds like a cheap brand, gratz, you made a dumb statement. A Xeon is intel's highest end chip.

980 Ti B-stock won't go bellow 500$ and that's overpaying for the GPU - his main need will be a beefy CPU and 16GB of RAM for streaming AAA games and such

Still - Asus = heresy

Yea, but a 4th gen i5k is under 200 and the i7 is around 300$ last I checked.  I have no information or motivation to research the new Sky" etc..  I am considering going after a latest gen board/cpu just for upgrading purposes in the future and not being on ddr3 in a year.

I have till Monday to order everything and I will build it with him when all the parts get here. 

(I have a ton of family at my parents, including me lol, this holiday season).  

I just want to make sure his buddies will feel jelly of his sick gaming rig his cousin built for him.

Feel me ? :)

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

Yea, but a 4th gen i5k is under 200 and the i7 is around 300$ last I checked.  I have no information or motivation to research the new Sky" etc..  I am considering going after a latest gen board/cpu just for upgrading purposes in the future and not being on ddr3 in a year.

I have till Monday to order everything and I will build it with him when all the parts get here. 

(I have a ton of family at my parents, including me lol, this holiday season).  

I just want to make sure his buddies will feel jelly of his sick gaming rig his cousin built for him.

Feel me ? :)

I do - and I'm telling you streaming on a i5 will be a pain in the ass for the most part - with an i7 or Xeon you offload that to half the available threads and use the rest for gaming - hence why an i5 cannot stream as well as an i7 - even my mobile i7 would outperform his i5 4690K or 6600K when all 8 threads are needed

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I do - and I'm telling you streaming on a i5 will be a pain in the ass for the most part - with an i7 or Xeon you offload that to half the available threads and use the rest for gaming - hence why an i5 cannot stream as well as an i7 - even my mobile i7 would outperform his i5 4690K or 6600K when all 8 threads are needed

Do you have any links to data analysis on this?  

I have the i7k 4th gen and can stream just fine but I did have a 980TI 16 gig ddr, blah etc...

Words like Xeon sound foreign to me. 

I need to do some homework, get food so this buzz fades.  Come back in a few hours and let you guys know what rode I take if curious.

If you spot any deals blow me up!!!!!! I will be grateful 

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

So, a 4th or 5th gen i7 is what I should go for, ya?  Xeon, I dunno sounds off name brand made with china parts (kappapride).. Maybe, I am just out of the scene for too long.  

How will the machine handle with photo/video editing?  Anything a high schooler might need it for

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

Do you have any links to data analysis on this?  

I have the i7k 4th gen and can stream just fine but I did have a 980TI 16 gig ddr, blah etc...

Words like Xeon sound foreign to me. 

I need to do some homework, get food so this buzz fades.  Come back in a few hours and let you guys know what rode I take if curious.

If you spot any deals blow me up!!!!!! I will be grateful 

A Xeon is usually a server-grade CPU like AMD's Opterons - they are normally EXCELLENT at multi-threaded applications with the more expensive ones kicking i7's asses all the way to kingdom come. The E3 1231 v3 is a i7 4770 without the iGPU essentially - it's the best of both worlds - cheaper than an i7, has HT, has powerful cores and can be used for gaming. It slots right in between a 4790K and 4690K. Ideal for streaming on a budget which doesn't allow for an i7.

Using a simple i5 quad-core to stream might result in stuttering, CPU bottlenecking, crappy stream, degraded performance overall since the CPU will likely be overloaded when trying to push a decent stream.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Xeons are intel's highest binned and highest quality professional chips - if that sounds like a cheap brand, gratz, you made a dumb statement. A Xeon is intel's highest end chip.

A Xeon is usually a server-grade CPU like AMD's Opterons - they are normally EXCELLENT at multi-threaded applications with the more expensive ones kicking i7's asses all the way to kingdom come. The E3 1231 v3 is a i7 4770 without the iGPU essentially - it's the best of both worlds - cheaper than an i7, has HT, has powerful cores and can be used for gaming. It slots right in between a 4790K and 4690K. Ideal for streaming on a budget which doesn't allow for an i7.

Using a simple i5 quad-core to stream might result in stuttering, CPU bottlenecking, crappy stream, degraded performance overall since the CPU will likely be overloaded when trying to push a decent stream.

I feel really uneasy buying a CPU I have never looked into until today.  If the 4th gen i7 will do the same I can spring the extra 50$ no problem.  I am very very outdated (especially, when in this area outdated is 6 weeks).

Thanks for the help, my friend.  Going to make solved on you and try to snipe what I can Cyber Monday.

P.S.

Are there are there  good App's for getting deals?  I have newegg, amazon, and walmart.  I do tab to this https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/new/ every 10 minutes

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

I feel really uneasy buying a CPU I have never looked into until today.  If the 4th gen i7 will do the same I can spring the extra 50$ no problem.  I am very very outdated (especially, when in this area outdated is 6 weeks).

Thanks for the help, my friend.  Going to make solved on you and try to snipe what I can Cyber Monday.

P.S.

Are there are there  good App's for getting deals?  I have newegg, amazon, and walmart.  I do tab to this https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/new/ every 10 minutes

Exactly - Trust me when I tell you that THIS Xeon is a i7 with no intel HD graphics - something you won't be using anyway so no point in spending an extra 50$ for it.

Exactly - Trust me when I tell you that THIS Xeon is a i7 with no intel HD graphics - something you won't be using anyway so no point in spending an extra 50$ for it.

Fasho.  I believe everyone but I still do my own research and check multiple sources.

I appreciate your time and help if you'd like to see what i end up getting ( gonna spend 20 mins researching what you suggested) I'd love to show you.  If you'd like a gift on steam that is no problem.  PM me your custom url if interested.

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

Fasho.  I believe everyone but I still do my own research and check multiple sources.

I appreciate your time and help if you'd like to see what i end up getting ( gonna spend 20 mins researching what you suggested) I'd love to show you.  If you'd like a gift on steam that is no problem.  PM me your custom url if interested.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E3-1231-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4690/m11040vs2311

Look down at "multi-threaded" - 35% faster