DVI-D vs DVI-I Input lag on MSI GTX 970?

Luckylock

Now my friend and I both have the exact same video card (MSI GTX 970).

We both have 144 hz monitors.

When we plug into the top DVI-D port, it feels responsive and "normal".

When we plug into the bottom DVI-I port, the mouse / aim feels floaty in cs:go. I don't think that's placebo, but on paper, they should be the same since DVI-I port is DVI-D + DVI-A.

I think the bottom DVI-I port has more input lag than the top DVI-D port. Are we crazy / dreaming / hallucinating / etc? We've been playing competitive FPS games for years.

edit: we made sure that it's running at 144 hz on the bottom DVI-I port as well.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

DVI-I and DVI-D are technically equivalent with the only difference being DVI-I can use a passive VGA adapter.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

DVI-I and DVI-D are technically equivalent with the only difference being DVI-I can use a passive VGA adapter.

I know on paper it is exactly this. But after testing it repeatetly with different games, I am very convinced I feel the quite significant difference in responsiveness.

Anyone else willing to test this out? Swear to god there's a difference, even though on paper there shouldn't be one.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

I've never really thought about it but I guess there could be something to this. This guy did a test on youtube. It would be interesting to do tests myself. I have two identical GPUs and three identical displays but I don't have a fast enough camera myself and the ports on the GTX580s are both DVI-I. :/

It may be a defect in the monitor's firmware, are you using different ports or the same one with different cables?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It may be a defect in the monitor's firmware, are you using different ports or the same one with different cables?

That is not the case, my friend is using a BenQ 144 hz and I'm using an ASUS VG248QE 144hz.

Different port, same cable. The bottom DVI-I port seems to have added input lag.

That is not the case, my friend is using a BenQ 144 hz and I'm using an ASUS VG248QE 144hz.

Different port, same cable. The bottom DVI-I port seems to have added input lag.

I'm sure it's just a placebo.

But, if it makes you feel better, use DVI-D :)

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm sure it's just a placebo.

But, if it makes you feel better, use DVI-D :)

mhm, I guess it is.

Do a blind test :P have someone plug it in for you 10 times randomly, and see if you can tell 10/10 where it's plugged into.

that's what we're gonna do