980ti and Z77 chipset issues?

Propensity

So I ran into a problem on Wednesday while upgrading my gtx 680 to a 980ti and getting a new cpu aio installed as detailed in this thread.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/492667-computer-cant-boot-losing-my-mind/#entry6603307

I felt like the MB must have died but after around 5 hours of messing around with it I got it to work again. I ended up removing the battery on the MB for about 5 minutes and then the thing started right up without an issue. I plugged my 680 and ssd in and it posted and loaded windows fine.

I had ordered a whole new mobo, cpu, and ram kit for $850 (5820k and x99 with 32gb of ddr4) so I was trying to decide if I should cancel the order or just upgrade my ivy bridge setup. This is where things got interesting.

I decided to test my new card again just to make sure it worked. I hooked it up and started the system and it posted fine but just before it loaded into windows the computer shut down and went into the same endless boot cycle with the drmos light coming on as before. So now I don't know if my card is causing the problem or if there is a compatibility issue with the parts. I'll leave my current, new, and future builds below and am open to any known information.

Current (100% working)

MSI z77a-gd65

I7 3770k

Swiftech h220 (done with this PoS)

Gtx 680

Nzxt hale90v2 850w psu

16gb ddr3 ram

500gb ssd and 1tb hd

New build (compatibility problem?)

- gtx 680

- h220

+ gtx 980 ti (gigabyte g1 gaming)

+ h100i gtx

Future (parts on the way)

- MSI board

- ddr3 ram

+ Asus x99 USB 3.1

+ i7 5820k

+ 32gb ddr4

Thanks for any help or insight

PCI lanes are handled by the CPU, not the chipset, therefore it's not the Z77 chipset on the board that is the issue.

So are you saying it would be a cpu and gpu problem then?

Endless boot cycles make me wonder if its a PSU issue.  You got another one you can swap in?

Endless boot cycles make me wonder if its a PSU issue. You got another one you can swap in?

The psu has worked flawlessly for two years and when plugging the 680 in it runs great. I don't know that much about psu's but I'm sure the 850w is enough to power the system so I'm confused what could be wrong with the psu.

The psu has worked flawlessly for two years and when plugging the 680 in it runs great. I don't know that much about psu's but I'm sure the 850w is enough to power the system so I'm confused what could be wrong with the psu.

Endless boot cycles are common with failing PSUs.  850w is more than enough, but if the PSU is on its last leg, the extra power draw could cause issues.  Was just wondering if you had another to try out before you RMA the card.  Its most likey the GPU, but ya never know.

Well it seems to either be a driver problem between card and MB or just a DOA card from the factory. No matter what I try I get error code b2 when using the 980ti and the system goes into endless boot loop. Plug the 680 back in and it boots right up and I am now typing this using my machine (in a breadboard setup on my kitchen table). I updated my bios for the MB and am going to try one more time to see if anything changes but I don't anticipate it posting. I am planning on testing the 980ti with the new MB, CPU, and ram when they arrive on Monday to verify the card is complete junk before starting the RMA.

It's never easy...