Open Test Bench vs ATX Case (also PSU) - Review purposes

ShadowCaptain

Ok it seems that I am going to have to build some sort of test bench system so that I can review hardware sent to me by companies and just for my own testing purposes

Now an Open test bench would be the easiest to work on, and it would be a nice way to show off the hardware, HOWEVER a nice ATX case would let me build the components into a working PC into an environment the same as the end user - therefore i can test temperatures and other things properly just as the end user will use them

It also means, I have a consistent set up to compare components, so that if I tested 10 GPUs they would all be in the same environment etc,

If I was sent a new case / PSU / Cooler to review - then I could compare it to the "standard test" set up and see how it compres to my normal benchmarks

So.. whats the best option for case

AND

Whats the best PSU option - fully modular

Budget is £50-£200 - the less the better as this hardware is PURELY for bechmarking

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would personally like to see a regular case being used for the intents of having a real world build. Open test benches are easier for the tester, but you are not showing results that a user of a normal case would necessarily see. For example, if you're reviewing an AIO with an open test bench, the radiator has the potential to get more airflow, rather than relying more on what the intake fan is providing along with what the other components are consuming for their own cooling purposes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

nobody has the same case, air flow or fans so even if its in an enclosed case people might not get the same results. i would get an open test bench as its much easier to work on and you wont have any compatibility issues with any hardware that might not fit in your chosen case, unless you get something like a 900d, but then you might as well have a test bench because it can have some much air flow. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I would personally like to see a regular case being used for the intents of having a real world build. Open test benches are easier for the tester, but you are not showing results that a user of a normal case would necessarily see. For example, if you're reviewing an AIO with an open test bench, the radiator has the potential to get more airflow, rather than relying more on what the intake fan is providing along with what the other components are consuming.

Agreed thats what I thought too

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This Power Supply should be great, it's cheap, fully modular and good: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p11050befx

As for the test bench, remember that it would be way easier to use an open one (to mount hardware into it) but the temperatures scores would be inaccurate, so it's up to you more or less. If you want to do it properly, but with more work included I'd get a Full-Tower case (cause you can fit more in there, you don't know what you'll have to review in the future)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I dont think a test bench is realistic of the real world usage of let's say a GPU for example since the thing would have way more airflow compared to a normal case

But swapping GPU's in a test bench is so much easier on the other hand 

Choices, choices

nobody has the same case, air flow or fans so even if its in an enclosed case people might not get the same results. i would get an open test bench as its much easier to work on and you wont have any compatibility issues with any hardware that might not fit in your chosen case, unless you get something like a 900d, but then you might as well have a test bench because it can have some much air flow. 

No but I WOULD have the same case, fans etc, so that if you watched 20 reviews from me, you would know the testing equipment is the same every time , only the variable would change

if I had to review a case, I would compare the results of the 2 cases

I dont think a test bench is realistic of the real world usage of let's say a GPU for example since the thing would have way more airflow compared to a normal case

Choices, choices

Its easier, but like changing a GPU takes 30 seconds, undo case side panel, plug in card, test

Its not like i am linus with 40 card benchmarks, it would be 1 piece of tech at a time, 

No but I WOULD have the same case, fans etc, so that if you watched 20 reviews from me, you would know the testing equipment is the same every time , only the variable would change

if I had to review a case, I would compare the results of the 2 cases

true but that is the same with the test bench, when you compare your own results people would know it was open :P 

as for a psu, i would get a super flower or evga with 1000-1600w so you can test any hardware config you want.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I dont think a test bench is realistic of the real world usage of let's say a GPU for example since the thing would have too good airflow compared to a normal case

Choices, choices

I think accuracy is more important than ease of use for the reviewer and I also think catering to the average user is important - thinking about the conditions the average user would be using the product in. For example, if the average user(and case) uses one intake fan, use one intake fan. My thought is to be as accurate as possible, but also cater to the average user.

Additionally, I think that reviewers should use the product as-is. No replacing of the fans for better fans. Use the fans or the thermal paste the product came with. Yes, you might be able to improve performance, but what is the user buying? You may have an enthusiast user who will replace the fans with better ones or use better thermal paste, but the average user may not be doing that and that's who the reviewer should be catering to.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Define S plus an EVGA G2?

Both very popular options and good value (which probably makes them so popular). You would want a popular case as more people could relate to your benchmarks.

SNIP

Exactly what I was thinking, it also means that I can show off the hardware in a full working desktop

I would keep a base standard PSU, Fans, Cooler and case and only change the "new" component to test and compare to the base set up- meaning you can compare my benchmarks to others that i do - since I am only changing one thing at a time

That means that if I am testing a new GPU I am not suddently adding in new better fans or anything

Define S plus an EVGA G2?

Both very popular options and good value (which probably makes them so popular). You would want a popular case as more people could relate to your benchmarks.

yeah kinda what I was thinking, not too much money and should be comparable to what 99% of people use

Guys I am not Linus testing out quad 980ti rigs - so we dont need to go overboard here :P I make NO money off youtube so I cannot exactly invest hundreds into a test bench I may never use :D

most reviewers have moved from open benches to a full case to make a

comprehensive review for a more real-world experience. thermals are a

big part of hardware reviews (CPU/GPU/Cooling).

kinda why linus moved from open bench to C70 for what is the end user going

to see.

now which chassis? a known flow issued case or a good airflow case?