UltraWide 1440p with a 960

Ena

Hi people.

I am planning to upgrade my current Dell 1080p monitor to a 34inch 1440 ultra wide monitor, but i am concerned about how my

EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB edition would perform on it.

I have seen on the video bellow that my card can run at 1440p on max to ultra on some games, and i don't really mind being capped between 20 to 40 FPS.

or cranking down some details, since on this kind of resolution things like AA would not be as ground breaking.

so i am wondering going from 1440p to ultra wide 1440p would make that much hit on my GPU?

since i gave my self 2extra GBs it would give me some more room for higher resolutions.

but i can't seem to find anywhere benchmarks of this resolution on a gtx 960 with 4gb.

Can somebody please tell me how it would go?

4gb dont make no differance at 1080

Might want to crank down details quite a bit because @34" 1440p it isint 1440p no more.It is more near 4k gaming resolutions 

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

It's almost 4K at that point. It's never gonna happen, not if you want good graphics.

Sell your 960 and get a 390, is my dead-serious recommendation.

Well from 1440p to 1440p ultra wide there would be a slight performance decrease 3-5 frames per second, but you will be getting terrible frames of around 18fps in game (high/ultra). To be fair I wouldn't go to 1440p with a GTX960 as games are getting more demanding and with 2015 ending... expect more heavier games getting released.

It's better playing ultra 1080p 60fps, then 1440p low 60fps. Trust me!

And by the way I have a 1080p setup and a 4k setup rig, pushed them both to max. And the only difference was the 4k had sightly better detail in the further images.

Might add this later...

It's almost 4K at that point. It's never gonna happen, not if you want good graphics.

Sell your 960 and get a 390, is my dead-serious recommendation.

Or Save the extra $50 and go with the 390x (might drop my GTX970 for one soon  ^_^). But I don't think he will want to do this, just after selling his 380 :P

To bad I'm in love with nvidia, guess I will have to give AMD a try once again. *Struggles to accept AMD is better bang for buck*

Might add this later...

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, the thing is, im really willing to go ultra wide, so ill maybe grab a 2560x1080 monitor,

my card should be able to run that at least.

cuz i really can't afford changing my GPU now, or maybe ill save up for a 980 in the next months or so.

i would buy another 4gb 960, but i think that would be a little awkward isn't it? would it be equivalent to a 970 or a 980?

Well from 1440p to 1440p ultra wide there would be a slight performance decrease 3-5 frames per second, but you will be getting terrible frames of around 18fps in game (high/ultra). To be fair I wouldn't go to 1440p with a GTX960 as games are getting more demanding and with 2015 ending... expect more heavier games getting released.

It's better playing ultra 1080p 60fps, then 1440p low 60fps. Trust me!

And by the way I have a 1080p setup and a 4k setup rig, pushed them both to max. And the only difference was the 4k had sightly better detail in the further images.

Or Save the extra $50 and go with the 390x (might drop my GTX970 for one soon  ^_^). But I don't think he will want to do this, just after selling his 380 :P

To bad I'm in love with nvidia, guess I will have to give AMD a try once again. *Struggles to accept AMD is better bang for buck*

My suggestion would be to just get a 290X online, they're cheaper than the 390 but quite a bit faster.

I'd recommend giving 'em a shot once in a while, kinda like checking once every few years to see if you still hate olives :P

The Hawaii cards run hot, but they've got a loooooooot of computational horsepower under the hood. Just a shame not all of it is actually used in games yet, but that's another thread for another day.

LoL! i really agree that AMD is better bang for buck, but im all on green team, shadow play and shield streaming rocks. and i really like my very silent and power efficient cards. my electric bill thanks me every month.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, the thing is, im really willing to go ultra wide, so ill maybe grab a 2560x1080 monitor,

my card should be able to run that at least.

cuz i really can't afford changing my GPU now, or maybe ill save up for a 980 in the next months or so.

i would buy another 4gb 960, but i think that would be a little awkward isn't it? would it be equivalent to a 970 or a 980?

Ok firstly don't go SLI, unless you absolutely have too, not all games make use of it's new technology. And with you saying "I might get a GTX980", Don't your paying $100 more for a graphics card brand (Get the AMD 390x instead, it's way more powerful)

Might add this later...

LoL! i really agree that AMD is better bang for buck, but im all on green team, shadow play and shield streaming rocks. and i really like my very silent and power efficient cards. my electric bill thanks me every month.

Green Team!!!

Well stay with the GTX960 for now and wait for the next generation of cards to be released... That's what I'm doing, when 4K becomes a possibility, I'm building my next rig (2 years to save). But in all, it's your choice to make :D

Might add this later...

That's good and all, but most of that is marginally different (Sapphire and MSI AMD cards are just as silent) and honestly unless you pay through the nose for power, AMD power consumption does not make that big of a difference in your bill.

The Shield streaming is pretty cool, I'll grant you.

Ok firstly don't go SLI, unless you absolutely have too, not all games make use of it's new technology. And with you saying "I might get a GTX980", Don't your paying $100 more for a graphics card brand (Get the AMD 390x instead, it's way more powerful)

hmm you really got me thinking about it now. the thing is, here in my country the price diference between the 980 and the R9 390X its not that big.

but ill think about it, ill have to rock my 960 for moths to come yet. until i get enough money i think ill have an awnser 

That's good and all, but most of that is marginally different (Sapphire and MSI AMD cards are just as silent) and honestly unless you pay through the nose for power, AMD power consumption does not make that big of a difference in your bill.

The Shield streaming is pretty cool, I'll grant you.

The thing is, I've never owed an AMD card lol, so all i know its "common sense" or "What i hear people saying about it" but i really think ill stay on nVidia for now. but i am truly thankful for the recommendations.

hmm you really got me thinking about it now. the thing is, here in my country the price diference between the 980 and the R9 390X its not that big.

but ill think about it, ill have to rock my 960 for moths to come yet. until i get enough money i think ill have an awnser 

Just think about it, the AMD card's do produce alot more heat and noise, hence why I'm not a fan of their past generations. But that's me and I'm the type of guy who would spend $200 just on case fans to make up for it.

But yer If you hate heat/noise like I do stay in Team Nvidia. They do better updates and have better features overall also.

Might add this later...

Just think about it, the AMD card's do produce alot more heat and noise, hence why I'm not a fan of their past generations. But that's me and I'm the type of guy who would spend $200 just on case fans to make up for it.

But yer If you hate heat/noise like I do stay in Team Nvidia. They do better updates and have better features overall also.

yeah thats something i am considering as well. cuz before my 960 was using a 560 until les than 2 months ago, and the support its great.

Like said before. Its almost 4k. You Card will not handle it well.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Assassin's Creed Syndicate uses close to 5GB of vRAM at 3440x1440. 1080p is around 2 Mil pixels, Ultrawide 1440 is around 4.8 Mil. I turn off AA and stay around 60 fps.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Assassin's Creed Syndicate uses close to 5GB of vRAM at 3440x1440. 1080p is around 2 Mil pixels, Ultrawide 1440 is around 4.8 Mil. I turn off AA and stay around 60 fps.

And..?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

My recommendation is plan to get a 6GB or higher GPU if going Ultrawide 1440.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

i think I've made my decision. I'll go with a 1080p ultra wide monitor instead.

i think all go with the LG 34UM67 or something among these lines. 

And keep my beloved and humble GTX 960