CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2x4GB) - 2133MHz
SSD: x2 Sandisk Ultra Plus 124GB - RAID 0
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W

I am looking to upgrade my computer before the end of this year and was seeking some advice from others. I have €500 or so to spend and would more than likely be using Newegg [irish Version]. I am not sure which GPU to purchase:

MSI GeForce GTX 980 - €440 [including P&P]:  http://www.newegg.com/global/ie/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127834

PowerColor DEVIL Radeon R9 390X [Closed-loop liquid cooler | 1100MHz] - €430 [including P&P]: http://www.newegg.com/global/ie/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131676

Are you dead set on getting a new video card? You already have a pretty decent one. Your CPU and motherboard do need an upgrade before you upgrade your video card to something better, in my opinion - based on benchmarks that are available showing that the CPU that you have can be a potential bottleneck in games (depending on the ones you play mainly).

I'd also have a look at the fury lineup, they're most comparable to the 980s. Also , whilst you're at it you should upgrade your PSU a as the CX series is of low quality and should only be used in basic builds. Out of those two, the 980 is more powerful but the 390X is much cheaper for a bit less power.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Upgrading the GPU will create a slight bottleneck with the 8320.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Hi, if you're only struggling between these two cards the choice will be quick since the R9 390x needs at least a power supply of 750W, if you're not i'd suggest you take the 980ti if you have the extra money since it's not that much more expensive but it's way more powerful.

Hi, if you're only struggling between these two cards the choice will be quick since the R9 390x needs at least a power supply of 750W, if you're not i'd suggest you take the 980ti if you have the extra money since it's not that much more expensive but it's way more powerful.

No it doesn't need 750W, it would run fine on a 550W PSU.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

An i7-5960X @ 4.4GHz paired with a MSI Radeon R9 390X will draw less than 350W from the wall with the GPU at full load: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-r9-390x-gaming-8g-oc-review,8.html

I'd also have a look at the fury lineup, they're most comparable to the 980s. Also , whilst you're at it you should upgrade your PSU a as the CX series is of low quality and should only be used in basic builds. Out of those two, the 980 is more powerful but the 390X is much cheaper for a bit less power.

I'll probably make the switch to an i5-6600K, better PSU, as you said, etc. by the end of next year. The R9 390X is €10 cheaper than the GTX 970 from Newegg [including Postage] which leaves me wondering which should I purchase?

An i7-5960X @ 4.4GHz paired with a MSI Radeon R9 390X will draw less than 350W from the wall with the GPU at full load: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-r9-390x-gaming-8g-oc-review,8.html

I'll probably make the switch to an i5-6600K, better PSU, as you said, etc. by the end of next year. The R9 390X is €10 cheaper than the GTX 970 from Newegg [including Postage] which leaves me wondering which should I purchase?

390X.

For the PSU, pick up something like a 700 or 750W Corsair HX or RM series.

No it doesn't need 750W, it would run fine on a 550W PSU.

It's written in the specs of the card guys Minimum System Power Requirement: 750W

That's waaaaay too much, a system with a 390 in it would pull around 450-500W MAX

Try 350w, because that's how much it really pulls.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

When I say max I mean everything being stressed to hell and back.

So did I lol, I had mine set up to a wattage meter and the 390 won't go past 350w, the 290 will but not the 390 won't no matter how much you overclock or work it.

Buy a cheap 290, and upgrade your CPU to an Intel skew.

Great advice, way to point them in the right direction. *Sarcasm* Buying cheap is why people blame AMD for being hot and loud. Don't buy cheap. You get cheap.