To upgrade of not?

Dkozak

So at the moment I have an Sapphire 7950 Boost 3G edition running all the games I play run decent enough.

But I'm looking for a new GPU to fit in my build.

I'm looking at the MSI 390 Gaming and the GTX 970 Strix

The thing is that I have a shitty 500W PSU (unrated)

the 970 Strix uses way less Power but the 390 Gaming has 8GB Ram

The 970 strix has a higher memory clock but the 390 Gaming has a wider Memory bus and a higher memory bandwidth.

I got the info from here

Which card would you guys suggest? I'm not going to upgrade my PSU :)

So at the moment I have an Sapphire 7950 Boost 3G edition running all the games I play run decent enough.

But I'm looking for a new GPU to fit in my build.

I'm looking at the MSI 390 Gaming and the GTX 970 Strix

The thing is that I have a shitty 500W PSU (unrated)

the 970 Strix uses way less Power but the 390 Gaming has 8GB Ram

The 970 strix has a higher memory clock but the 390 Gaming has a wider Memory bus and a higher memory bandwidth.

I got the info from here

Which card would you guys suggest? I'm not going to upgrade my PSU :)

390 would be a good upgrade. But change the PSU first. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

generally, 390 is slightly faster than 970, but 970 is much less power hungry (meaning also less heat)

but please, 2 pieces of advice:

- stay away from game debate (and passmark for that matter)

- replace that psu asap by a seasonic unit or similar.

The 390 is faster but if you are willing to spend a bit more you can usually pick up a GTX 980 second hand on Ebay for around 400.

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

Well it's a sharkoon 500w but which is more important? 8gb vs 3.5gb or the clock and mem speeds?

Well it's a sharkoon 500w but which is more important? 8gb vs 3.5gb or the clock and mem speeds?

the 390 is faster than the 970 and the vram will healp for higher resolutions and anti aliasing , just replace your psu , regardless of the gpu you get

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Well seeing the fact that my psu isn't good I might go for a 380x nitro from sapphire and a new psu. Is there a big difference between the 390 and the 380x?