Laptop cpu temps risen a lot

Flanelman

Hey guys, so i've had my laptop for comign up a year, can max out fallout 4 bf4 etc with no problems, but the last two days it's been getting really hot, like i was just playing Bully for like 10 mins and my cpu got up to about 85 degrees? anyone know why this might be? (my GPU was at about 55-60)... it goes down if i put the fan onto max, but idk why the cpu is getting that hot in the first place.. all i had open was steam and origin and facebook in a browser. i'm gonna take the bottom off and have a look at the fans etc make sure theyre not blocked up, but i wouldn't think they are or turning the fans to max wouldn't really work either would it?

Thanks in advance :)

Laptops get hot. The best thing to do would be to get a fan for it. Clean out the dust from the inside/heatsinks too.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

clean the heatsinks out with compressed air and replace the thermal paste inside if possible

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As Enderman said already, try cleaning out your heatsink and definitely replace the paste. My laptop was having some pretty bad heating issues after 2 years of use, but changing the paste completely resolved the issue.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Thanks guys, i had a look and the fans, they aren't too dirty, gave them a little bit of a clean tho, and will look into replacing the thermal paste soonish :)

Laptops get hot. The best thing to do would be to get a fan for it. Clean out the dust from the inside/heatsinks too.

my laptop never got overly hot tho that is the thing, never over 70-75ish even on ultra BF4 :/

I tried cleaning the fans and updating drivers (incase the drivers just sent it into auto turbo idk) .. and i played bf4 for about 5-10 mins and the cpu temp was upto about  90-95.. do you guys think this is just a thermal paste issue?

It all kinda starting happening over the last 2 days, before that i could run bf4 fine with below 80 temps. i just tried a game of MW2 and after 1 game it was upto about 85, then when i minimize the game the temps drop to about 55-65 within 20 seconds.. :/

even games like Age of Empires 3 or Bully are making it get really hot.. I'm not however experiencing thermal throttling, like i'm still getting like 80-100 fps on BF4 multiplayer even with the temps at that level. I would say maybe it's MSI afterburner giving wrong temps but the laptop does feel really hot, but then i can't really messure it adequately bu touch.. but the temps on afterburner haven't been that high before so I don't think it's a misreading...

I'm really confused, further insight would be very appreciated, thanks again :)

Also - i just got 93 degrees, with a 20% usage of cpu.. i have no idea why all of a sudden my temps have got so high.. :/ it's making gaming impossible because i don't want to ruin my CPU with these temps.