Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm Fan Review By A Silence Freak

This fan came with my case.

I cannot comment on the packaging because it came with my case. It was held in place by four black screws with obviously one in each corner.

The fan itself uses a black frame with eleven white blades. The cable itself is sleeved in one of the most fantastic sleeves you will ever see. Even though there are red yellow and black wires within the sleeve you cannot see them at all. By the way it's a plastic-ey sleeve. The connector is white.

In terms of noise these fans are completely silent. I can just barely hear them when they are at full speed.The airflow however is almost next to nothing. Okay that may be a little too harsh. However the airflow from these fans is very small. Don't expect these to move massive amounts of air in and out of the case. Putting my hand behind the 120mm version, I could hardly feel any air coming out.

There was one big problem though. I had it mounted horizontally (----) blowing out the top of my case and when it was spinning at full speed it would make an obnoxious sound.It was kind of like a high pitch and a low hum combined together and that was not pleasant. However decreasing the fan speed solved the problem but at the same time diminishing even more airflow.

These fans look nice and are really quiet if that's what you're looking for however the airflow is just not good enough even for a silence optimised fan. If you want a black and white fan then you should look into the Gelid Silent 14s or 12s instead. I would not recommend these fans. I will get pictures up when the camera has finished charging.

This fan came with my case.

I cannot comment on the packaging because it came with my case. It was held in place by four black screws with obviously one in each corner.

The fan itself uses a black frame with eleven white blades. The cable itself is sleeved in one of the most fantastic sleeves you will ever see. Even though there are red yellow and black wires within the sleeve you cannot see them at all. By the way it's a plastic-ey sleeve. The connector is white.

In terms of noise these fans are completely silent. I can just barely hear them when they are at full speed.The airflow however is almost next to nothing. Okay that may be a little too harsh. However the airflow from these fans is very small. Don't expect these to move massive amounts of air in and out of the case. Putting my hand behind the 120mm version, I could hardly feel any air coming out.

There was one big problem though. I had it mounted horizontally (----) blowing out the top of my case and when it was spinning at full speed it would make an obnoxious sound.It was kind of like a high pitch and a low hum combined together and that was not pleasant. However decreasing the fan speed solved the problem but at the same time diminishing even more airflow.

These fans look nice and are really quiet if that's what you're looking for however the airflow is just not good enough even for a silence optimised fan. If you want a black and white fan then you should look into the Gelid Silent 14s or 12s instead. I would not recommend these fans. I will get pictures up when the camera has finished charging.

What case do you have :3

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

What case do you have :3

Fractal Design Core 3000 which I may or may not review. Depends on how bored I am. I don't recommend it though.

At full speed you can't hear them?

I don't quite believe that, I have a fractal midi r2, both the stock fan's had a buzzing noise coming from them so I got 2 replacements from fractal, and both of those buzz as-well and at 12v I can clearly hear them, at 5v however they are silent apart from the buzzing.  Don't want to bug fractal for more fan's...

So atm I have 4 useless fan's sitting in a draw with just 1 corsair fan (which is also buzzing -_-) in the  case.  Very disappointing fan wise, but the case is nice.

But yeh they push no air what so ever, even at full speed they don't exactly do much.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

The r4, obviously

What's your source?

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I don't quite believe that, I have a fractal midi r2, both the stock fan's had a buzzing noise coming from them so I got 2 replacements from fractal, and both of those buzz as-well and at 12v I can clearly hear them, at 5v however they are silent apart from the buzzing.  Don't want to bug fractal for more fan's...

So atm I have 4 useless fan's sitting in a draw with just 1 corsair fan (which is also buzzing -_-) in the  case.  Very disappointing fan wise, but the case is wise.

But yeh they push no air what so ever.

Maybe I have slightly better ones? IDK. But anyways I'm not lying, mine makes no sound at full speed. Remember each fan is different.

Maybe I have slightly better ones? IDK. But anyways I'm not lying, mine makes no sound at full speed. Remember each fan is different.

Then I suppose your case is not silent? Its an R4 but surely you have something in the case making more noise that the fan's are making.

The noise I'm talking about is just the air noise that the fan makes while its pushing air, which will be the same for all fan's and I can hear them above everything else is the case which have been adjusted for silence (my case is pretty much totally silent apart from slight air movement noise that I have to take of my headphones to be able to slightly hear.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Then I suppose your case is not silent? Its an R4 but surely you have something in the case making more noise that the fan's are making.

The noise I'm talking about is just the air noise that the fan makes while its pushing air, which will be the same for all fan's.

Are you running one in the top? And by the way I'm not using a Define R4.

Are you running one in the top? And by the way I'm not using a Define R4.

Assumed you had a R4....if not then I don't see how you can't hear the noise from them (the air noise).

I took out my fractal fan's because of the buzzing they make, but when I did have them in, I had 1 in the front (with a corsair one) and 1 in the back and 1 in the top, they all made the same air moving noise + buzzing.  Even tested them outside the case one by 1, each was exactly the same, quite allot of air noise (at 12v), very little air movement and buzzing.

Also when I'm referring to the noise of the fan's, I'm wanting TOTAL silence, like no noise so ever, not even a slight hum from the spinning or anything.  The fractal fan's make plenty of noise which is disruptive.

Assumed you had a R4....if not then I don't see how you can't hear the noise from them (the air noise).

I took out my fractal fan's because of the buzzing they make, but when I did have them in, I had 1 in the front (with a corsair one) and 1 in the back and 1 in the top, they all made the same air moving noise + buzzing.  Even tested them outside the case one by 1, each was exactly the same, quite allot of air noise (at 12v), very little air movement and buzzing.

Also when I'm referring to the noise of the fan's, I'm wanting TOTAL silence, like no noise so ever, not even a slight hum from the spinning or anything.  The fractal fan's make plenty of noise which is disruptive.

Well if you are looking for fans, try Gelid Silent 14s or the Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2

Well if you are looking for fans, try Gelid Silent 14s or the Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2

Yeh....the decent ones are expensive....

So atm I have 4 useless fan's sitting in a draw with just 1 corsair fan (which is also buzzing -_-) in the  case.  Very disappointing fan wise, but the case is nice.

But yeh they push no air what so ever, even at full speed they don't exactly do much.

Really? I have a R4 and I keep all of the fans that came with the r4 on 12v and its running amazingly quiet.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Really? I have a R4 and I keep all of the fans that came with the r4 on 12v and its running amazingly quiet.

Then you are not a silence freak  :P

Then you are not a silence freak  :P

but there is honestly very little noise coming from it. Most of the noise coming from my case is the h100i. I'm using the default fans until black noctua's come out.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

but there is honestly very little noise coming from it. Most of the noise coming from my case is the h100i. I'm using the default fans until black noctua's come out.

We must have very different levels of hearing then ;p

We must have very different levels of hearing then ;p

I guess so..  ^_^

NZXT Source 210

haha you seem confused :D

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Yeah my R4 is completely silent as well ;)

This review seems fair enough. I only use the fans included with my R4 as side intakes, because I don't need that much airflow from the side panel but wanted some nonetheless. They are very quiet, but don't move a ton of air.

They're very quiet, and don't need to move a ton of air, my system is running 2 of the 140mm fans as intake and at 7v I can't tell if the computer is on.

At 7v they cool a OC 4670k with SLI 760s fine, so why turn them up?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

There is also a big difference in noise if you have your case standing right next to you on the desk, or if it is sitting under your desk ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

My R4 is whisper quiet right beside with 3 R2 140mm fans and 2 Swiftech Helix's. @Matsy  You must have gotten really bad fans.