Do you think AMD will be able to take back market presence?

t33to
Go to solution Solved by KemoKa,

In the CPU side, they've suffered for a long time (partly because of some complicated shenanigans with the Intel C Binary compiler, and partly because they actually are genuinely kinda shitty). Their 8 cores were pretty flippin' fast at the time of their release, but Intel really smacked them upside the head with Sandy Bridge and they've done so ever since. And all AMD has come out with is more of the same derivative architecture. The 9590 represents the absolute most that they could squeeze out of Bulldozer. It's terrible.

On the other hand, ATI has done exceptionally well in the GPU side. Maxwell turned out to be nowhere near as good as it was shilled to be, apart from the top end, and so it turns out that AMD's GPUs from the past three years are actually very competitive with Nvidia, especially for the price, especially at mid-tier. Their cards are computational monsters. The 290X is crazy, and always has been. It's the Titan Killer, for goodness' sakes, and if the Ashes benchmark is even a sliver to go by, it could be the Titan Killer all over again. the Fury X is an absolute beast at OpenCL, it's actually pulling 8.6 TFLOPS of power. That's crazy, that is absolutely insane, nothing Nvidia has can touch that. Problem is, not a whole lot of it can be put towards games, because it's limited by DX11 and OpenGL.

So, no, AMD is doing fine. Their next lineup, the Arctic Islands GPUs should be very interesting indeed, because this time they're not just rebadges (hopefully >.>) and are actual all-new kickass architectures (hopefully >.>)

I am not upset, nor is the discussion itself a problem. The problem comes from the title, and the riot it almost always causes. "Is AMD dying rapidly?". It implies AMD is already dying, but questions the rate at which they are dying. This causes problems for fanboys of both sides.

A better, civil title would have been "Do you think AMD will be able to take back market presence?". That is a real question. That opens dialogue. Even your post contradicts the title. You mention nowhere in your post of AMD dying fast. You also only mention a CPU monopoly (i know, this is the CPU subforum) but AMD as a whole entity is more than just CPUs. 

I did not mean any hostility towards you. I've just been around on these forums long enough to know how these threads turn out. These kind of discussions, no matter how civil you try to keep them, will always spiral out of control once one fanboy gets a hold of it. It's why we tend to avoid them entirely.

That is excellent constructive criticism. Thank you. I'll adjust my title. I assure you, I'm sincere in wanting knowledge. I haven't been interested in the PC hardware industry for a while as I mostly focus on programming and my employers give me what whatever machine I'm required to use. The response from these forums has been mostly, AMD / ATI bad, Intel / nVidia good and it honestly had me worried that Intel and Nvidia were becoming monopolies. My mother is the only person I know that has an AMD cpu, and I have one friend who has a Radeon.

That is excellent constructive criticism. Thank you. I'll adjust my title. I assure you, I'm sincere in wanting knowledge. I haven't been interested in the PC hardware industry for a while as I mostly focus on programming and my employers give me what whatever machine I'm required to use. The response from these forums has been mostly, AMD / ATI bad, Intel / nVidia good and it honestly had me worried that Intel and Nvidia were becoming monopolies. My mother is the only person I know that has an AMD cpu, and I have one friend who has a Radeon.

Yeah, a lot of people around here are kinda sore at AMD, but understandably so. The FX series was a major upset for most people that bought in to the "more cores = better" argument. A lot of them hold grudges over that. That, and the fact that the AM3 platform is over 3 years old, and people still try to recommend people into buying it for gaming PC's. 

As far as GPU's go, that is where the real fanwars start. You try to say something objective, you will be destroyed in minutes on this forum, or any forum, for that matter. For example: The GTX 960 and R9 380 are similarly priced, but the 380 out performs the 960 9 times out of 10. If someone tries to recommend a 380 to someone, Nvidia fans come to the defense with the usual "Gameworks ez gud 4 gamers!" "We have Shadowplay!" "It uses less power!". You also see the AMD fans trying to suggest cards that simply will not work for people, or are not the right fit. For example: People suggesting a person that already owns a 970, to forget buying another to SLI, but to instead, sell his card and do 380's in crossfire. This is just too much effort for a person to go through, not to mention they would be taking a loss in order to get those new cards.

The only way to win on these forums, is to become numb to brands. Remain objective about price:performance, always suggest the right tool for the job, and always make sure the person asking the question, gets what is best for them. Luckily, i am not the only one that thinks like this. Recently, a holy crusade has happened on this forum, and i am seeing more people put aside their brand bias, and are being helpful. I see proper GPU recommendations. I see people asking "what do you plan on doing with the build?" and a proper suggestion afterwards. The only job i have left to finish, is getting memory speeds through these peoples heads. Once i finish that, i'll be content.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Yeah, a lot of people around here are kinda sore at AMD, but understandably so. The FX series was a major upset for most people that bought in to the "more cores = better" argument. A lot of them hold grudges over that. That, and the fact that the AM3 platform is over 3 years old, and people still try to recommend people into buying it for gaming PC's. 

As far as GPU's go, that is where the real fanwars start. You try to say something objective, you will be destroyed in minutes on this forum, or any forum, for that matter. For example: The GTX 960 and R9 380 are similarly priced, but the 380 out performs the 960 9 times out of 10. If someone tries to recommend a 380 to someone, Nvidia fans come to the defense with the usual "Gameworks ez gud 4 gamers!" "We have Shadowplay!" "It uses less power!". You also see the AMD fans trying to suggest cards that simply will not work for people, or are not the right fit. For example: People suggesting a person that already owns a 970, to forget buying another to SLI, but to instead, sell his card and do 380's in crossfire. This is just too much effort for a person to go through, not to mention they would be taking a loss in order to get those new cards.

The only way to win on these forums, is to become numb to brands. Remain objective about price:performance, always suggest the right tool for the job, and always make sure the person asking the question, gets what is best for them. Luckily, i am not the only one that thinks like this. Recently, a holy crusade has happened on this forum, and i am seeing more people put aside their brand bias, and are being helpful. I see proper GPU recommendations. I see people asking "what do you plan on doing with the build?" and a proper suggestion afterwards. The only job i have left to finish, is getting memory speeds through these peoples heads. Once i finish that, i'll be content.

That's great to hear man. I used to be fanboyish towards Windows, but I offer the same mentality as you do now. I sometimes suggest people buy OSX if their knowledge level is minimal and they require very little customization of their system and want to get involved in the app-ecosystems out there. I was very tempted to get a Radeon because of the lower price and better performance per dollar ratio they have but their Linux support is apparently pretty bad, I checked it out thoroughly over the past week. I'm trying to game full time on Linux by the time Windows 7 support ends so I need to have hardware that runs well on the open source frameworks.

Cheers buddy.