Gaming on the Surface Book

alexgscraft

I am considering getting the Surface Book for productivity purpose, but I am also considering it for some light gaming. Does anyone here have one?

My Questions are how much fps would you get in games such as Hearthstone,League of Legends and Counter Strike Global Offensive. Either at native resolution or 1080p. Would these games run at 60 fps at medium settings?

I am not sure if I should get the regular I5 version or the version with the dGPU.

iGPU won't work for gaming

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I am considering getting the Surface Book for productivity purpose, but I am also considering it for some light gaming. Does anyone here have one?

My Questions are how much fps would you get in games such as Hearthstone,League of Legends and Counter Strike Global Offensive. Either at native resolution or 1080p. Would these games run at 60 fps at medium settings?

I am not sure if I should get the regular I5 version or the version with the dGPU.

If you're wanting to do any gaming on it get the version with the dGPU. If you get a 960m or better I think you'll do pretty well for a lot of games at 1080p but for the games you're looking at I think you might be okay at full resolution on good settings - but unsure.

Sig under construction.

iGPU won't work for gaming

The reason I was considering it was that my friend uses a 2014 Macbook air and it can run LoL at low settings 60 fps and the Surface Book uses Skylake and therefore has a much better iGPU. I am not looking to play demanding titles. 

This is the reason I am looking for advice from owners of the device.

If you're wanting to do any gaming on it get the version with the dGPU. If you get a 960m or better I think you'll do pretty well for a lot of games at 1080p but for the games you're looking at I think you might be okay at full resolution on good settings - but unsure.

6th Generation Intel Core i5-6300U (15w)

"NVIDIA GeForce" (Approx. GT 940M) w/1GB GDDR5

or 

6th Generation Intel Core i5-6300U (15w)

No 960m

Edit: Does anyone have the device or have some benchmark with these kind of games( dota, HOtS, etc)

Intel iris is actually not too bad. You can probably play games (at 1080p not 3000x2000) with playable framerates

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I wouldn't try it. First of all it has a really high resolution - well over 2x the pixels of 1080p. It also has a 3:2 aspect ratio which really isn't a thing. That's a lot of weight for a low level GPU to carry, and the aspect ratio issues can't be fun.

It can probably handle a lot of titles at 720 and low-medium settings. Intel integrated graphics have been getting better and better.

But for $500-600 you can get a laptop with a 1080p screen and a Geforce 940M from Newegg.

My intel iris pro mac can run tomb Raider at max settings with no visible stuttering (except one part where I had to turn down my settings at medium)

I could also play CS:Go at max.

Intel iris is actually not too bad. You can probably play games (at 1080p not 3000x2000) with playable framerates

Yeah, that's I heard, just want to see if there would be a huge difference for gaming if I got the model with the dGPU(940m I think?)

But for $500-600 you can get a laptop with a 1080p screen and a Geforce 940M from Newegg.

I know,but my main reason for getting the Surface book is the touchscreen and using it for productivity and design, etc.

Yeah, that's I heard, just want to see if there would be a huge difference for gaming if I got the model with the dGPU(940m I think?)

I can't say for absolute certainty because well I can't test it but I would think so.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Ok I will tell you about my laptop. I have an Asus Q551LN-BBI706. It has an i7-4510u, 8GB DDR3, 1 TB hard drive, a 840M, touchscreen, 1080p IPS, and it is a flipbook. There are plenty of options and ways to go about finding the right computer. Feel free to look around Amazon and Newegg for a good laptop for a good price. If you feel the Surface is the way to go, you get that Surface, but if you are unsure, look around. Hope one us could help!

Edit: Almost forgot backlit keyboard and logo.

Ok I will tell you about my laptop. I have an Asus Q551LN-BBI706. It has an i7-4510u, 8GB DDR3, 1 TB hard drive, a 840M, touchscreen, 1080p IPS, and it is a flipbook. There are plenty of options and ways to go about finding the right computer. Feel free to look around Amazon and Newegg for a good laptop for a good price. If you feel the Surface is the way to go, you get that Surface, but if you are unsure, look around. Hope one us could help!

Surface is the way for me, I have used the Pro  and Pro 2, both were a great experience. I am thinking for upgrading to the Book from my Pro 2. I find it great for my needs.

Anyone on here have the Surface Book, please message if you do.