540Air Editing and Gaming Rig

Here we go guys,

after thinking about building a black/yellow MPower+Lightning rig I have decided to save some bucks und go the less colourful path with my machine.

Here is what I have ordered today:

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540

post-28024-0-77942000-1377256428.jpg

ASRock Z87 Extreme6

post-28024-0-20705300-1377256428.jpg

Intel Core i7-4770K Corsair XMS3 Dominator Platinum 2x8GB DDR3-2133, CL9

post-28024-0-87350900-1377256425.jpg

2x Samsung SSD 840 Evo Series 250GB for RAID-0

post-28024-0-20662100-1377256429.jpg

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified ACX Cooler

post-28024-0-71881600-1377256426.jpg

I will use this topic for my personal log. Suggestions are very welcome.

Other parts, that are not listed will be reused from my current machine: Corsair 760i Power Supply, some Noiseblocker Fans and, for some time until I manage to watercool, my H80 Hydro Series Cooler. Also HDDs and 2 more SSDs for storage.

Are you planning on throwing a new closed loop cooler in there later? like a h100i or do you mean a custom loop? Also let me know how you do with dust build up since i have heard that the carbide doesn't have any filters.

I am planning on a custom loop as soon as I have more money and the EK waterblock for the EVGA card, that EK has announced is available.

I plan to have a pump/res-combo on the hidden side of the case, a 280mm silence optimized radiator in the top (maybe another in the front) and all black tubing with silver fittings.

I am planning on a custom loop as soon as I have more money and the EK waterblock for the EVGA card, that EK has announced is available.

I plan to have a pump/res-combo on the hidden side of the case, a 280mm silence optimized radiator in the top (maybe another in the front) and all black tubing with silver fittings.

How much are you expecting the whole build to cost you?

I planned 2000€ including the water cooling. As it looks now, I will have some spare money left to buy something nice for my gf, who has to stand all the tech talk over the planning- and build phase. :lol:

.. spare money left to buy something nice for my gf, who has to stand all the tech talk over the planning- and build phase. :lol:

Good man!!!! The world is a better place with women happy!

Nice build/project!

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

Well good luck with the build, i quite frankly love the colour scheme. going to be a very nice looking and well performing build.

Nice build! :) i wanna see some benchmarks/overclocks (what you achieved with the classy) when its complete ^.^

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Nice build! :) i wanna see some benchmarks/overclocks (what you achieved with the classy) when its complete ^.^

I will keep everybody updated. As I am a professional photographer (some pictures in my profile gallery), you can expect at least a photographic documentation of the build, if not videos (I haven't decided yet cause my video setup is no that great for this purpose.)

EDIT: I will not go crazy with overclocks. I strive for a cool, silent build with enough headroom for those couple of hot days in the summer that struck my current machine to the knees.

I will keep everybody updated. As I am a professional photographer (some pictures in my profile gallery), you can expect at least a photographic documentation of the build, if not videos (I haven't decided yet cause my video setup is no that great for this purpose.)

EDIT: I will not go crazy with overclocks. I strive for a cool, silent build with enough headroom for those couple of hot days in the summer that struck my current machine to the knees.

dang boy, you cant just buy a classy and not oc the sh*t out of it! :D its not that hot in germany ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

40°C a couple of weeks ago. ;-) Also I didn't say I won't overclock at all. Especially when the card is watercooled I expect it to run quite high clock speeds.

Today, all vendors recieved my payment and started shipping the components. Now I have the weekend to clean up the mess in my studio, so I have enough space for all the parts and to take pictures.

40°C a couple of weeks ago. ;-) Also I didn't say I won't overclock at all. Especially when the card is watercooled I expect it to run quite high clock speeds.

Damn dude, 40oC is a mid-summer Australian temperature. Had no idea it got that hot in Germany.

Feel free to ask me for any advice, and I may ask for yours too. I'm an otaku. =)
Steam: hiddenshadow8

nice never seen delivery that fast have fun would love to see the build log

Have fun building, love to see the finished build

I've heard that a student can say anything he/she wants

I like the colour scheme of the parts you chose, black with a touch of silver, definitely looks cool :).

Unfortunately, the GPU isn't here yet, but I can report, that the Dominator memory goes very well with the mainboard. case and CPU also arrived.

Excited to see this unfold! Looks like a pretty solid build :P

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Can't wait to see this finished. Looks like it will be a solid clean build. I am also curious about how the case will handle dust building up.

Unfortunately, the GPU isn't here yet, but I can report, that the Dominator memory goes very well with the mainboard. case and CPU also arrived.

Could you link me to the whole build I.e the watercooling tubing blocks ect..?

@D_Kostroun: I was wondering the same thing. In the bottom of the case, underneath the HDD cages there are two big gaps. I will have to to something about that. Otherwise it looks really solid, 'cause the front intake fans are very well filtered.

@Air tree: I want to go with EK Blocks. Unfortunately their block for the 780 Classified isn't released yet, so I will have to run air cooling for some weeks giving me chance to test everything and plan my watercooling.

@D_Kostroun: I was wondering the same thing. In the bottom of the case, underneath the HDD cages there are two big gaps. I will have to to something about that. Otherwise it looks really solid, 'cause the front intake fans are very well filtered.

@Air tree: I want to go with EK Blocks. Unfortunately their block for the 780 Classified isn't released yet, so I will have to run air cooling for some weeks giving me chance to test everything and plan my watercooling.

I have a chance to do a build similar to this but i'm fully sleeving my cables, i think you should too as it would make it beautiful. maybe a nice gray and black sleeving MMM.... Anyways i'm trying to decide on if i should go with the 350D or the carbide air 540.

The 350D is a mATX case and the 540Air fits even EATX. I like the "hot/ beautiful-side / cold/messy-side"-concept of the 540Air. Further to that, the 350D is really big for a mATX case. My LianLi case of my current system is smaller, despite it is full ATX size. (fitting radiators inside would be a big problem, though). I run a Corsair H80 in push/pull atm.

Just a quick picture so you can see the dimensions of the case as well as the black/sliver colours.

Sadly, the brownness of the mainboard is way more pronounced then in any of the press shots.

post-28024-0-84634600-1377769282.jpg

EDIT: The EVGA Classified should arrive today.

Edited by LeSLeeve