AMD FX 6300 or 8320

An i3 is better than both; especially long-term. I currently own an 8320 I bought back in 2011, but if I would have gotten an i3 I could have upgraded without spending money on a new motherboard, or an i5 which would easily last a long time.

blackshades on

how much of a difference would an i5 over a 6300

Huge difference. I'd say the i5 4690K or 6600K is equivalent to three FX-6300s. Maybe even more.

blackshades on

so an i3 would be solid for gaming

most likely yes.If you can save for an i5 4430/4440/4460, it would be even better

The site has changed....

-snip-

change the gpu to a 380 2gb and you are good to go

and get a good psu

The site has changed....

I have a FX-8320 and i have absolutely no issues with it when gaming. 

MY RIG | Intel Core i5-4690K @4.4GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS Z97-A  | Mismatched 24GB RAM @1600MHz DDR3 | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 24" 1080p 144Hz  | Glorious Model O- (Glossy White) Ducky One 2 Mini (White - Cherry MX Silent Red) MOBILE | OnePlus 7 Pro 256GB (Grey) | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB (Gold)  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

Not entirely true. I could be happy spending £300 on a gaming pc for it to stutter etc, that is a problem even if like I said I was happy... The whole FX is shit commenting on this site needs to die in a fire because you can game with them.

The whole recommending FX needs to die with Zen right around the corner, FX is not a good buy now.

Not entirely true. I could be happy spending £300 on a gaming pc for it to stutter etc, that is a problem even if like I said I was happy... The whole FX is shit commenting on this site needs to die in a fire because you can game with them.

you can, but the i5-4460 cost the same once you factor in motherboard and CPU cooling for the FX and the i5 perform better across the board...in EVERY games.

I have a FX-8320 and i have absolutely no issues with it when gaming.

because you have an appropriate GPU for it...throw a GTX 780 or a 970/980/390/390X/290/290X at it and will start to limit your performance in many games...i know i owned a 4.6ghz FX-8320 paired with a GTX 780 and the CPU was not fast enough in many games...the IPC is too low.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR