I'm worried about Linus and Linus Media Group

MrJakePrince

In the past month or two I have noticed a pretty big lack of interesting videos on the LinusTechTips channel compared to what they were say a year ago, I appreciate the increases in Video quality etc, but the videos seem to have very little effort going into them now. It seems as if the guys are just coming up with topics for the sake of it. I know that Linus Media Group need to make more money now as they have higher running costs with staff increases and the new house but I'm worried that 90% of the attention is now going on to making ads and commercials and trying to gain more sponsors, rather than focus on making good entertaining content. The video from today for example was a 4 minute video about the mod mic which didn't really seem to have a point (I still watched it and liked it because I want to support the company). I don't mind seeing videos like this but when this is the only video that is put out all day then I'm kind of dissapointed.

I don't mean to hate on the guys but I was just wondering if I was the only person that had noticed this and what you guys opinions are, and if it is a common thought maybe the guys could try make some changes, just a thought obviously.

So what are you guy's thoughts? :)

Intel i5 3570K | Msi GTX 660 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | AsRock Z77 Extreme 6 | Sharkoon T28 

Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Rocaat Pyra | Steelseries 7H | Corsair SP2500

Pretty sure the reason for the mod mic video was for Linus to show the quality of the mic and to show you can have high quality audio with a decent microphone.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

In the past month or two I have noticed a pretty big lack of interesting videos on the LinusTechTips channel compared to what they were say a year ago, I appreciate the increases in Video quality etc, but the videos seem to have very little effort going into them now. It seems as if the guys are just coming up with topics for the sake of it. I know that Linus Media Group need to make more money now as they have higher running costs with staff increases and the new house but I'm worried that 90% of the attention is now going on to making ads and commercials and trying to gain more sponsors, rather than focus on making good entertaining content. The video from today for example was a 4 minute video about the mod mic which didn't really seem to have a point (I still watched it and liked it because I want to support the company). I don't mind seeing videos like this but when this is the only video that is put out all day then I'm kind of dissapointed.

I don't mean to hate on the guys but I was just wondering if I was the only person that had noticed this and what you guys opinions are, and if it is a common thought maybe the guys could try make some changes, just a thought obviously.

There is still summer. Linus an rest of the crew got their own lifes too. Only thing down is their ISP messing with them.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

I havent enjoyed a LinusTechTips video besides WAN show archives (which are frankly getting kinda dull) in quite a while D: The last one I remember enjoying was sometime around the first live stream (before it was the WAN show)

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

There are so many variables to consider

Time constraints

Life momentum constraints

Staff constraints

Money constraints

I could go on and on, but when your doing bigger and better projects, and while doing those, Still outsourcing for more....

Takes its toll....

Keep supporting them as you do and it will be fine and dandy... Maybe lower your expectations...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

There is a bit of a drought in the tech world now. NVidia, Intel and AMD haven't made alot of things the last couple of months. Just wait untill the holiday season and Q1 and Q2 of 2014. It's usuallly there the majore tech releases happen

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

They are currently working on another Func commercial for a new upcoming product. Maybe that is why their is not many "entertaining" uploads this week. They cannot be everywhere at once.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

I think its improving! I like how the WAN show has been revamped with the new name, new intro, new background, live guests, its been really exciting imo.

The mod mic video was just an example because it was fresh in my mind from earlier there are a fair more that seem very low effort and boring to me.

Intel i5 3570K | Msi GTX 660 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | AsRock Z77 Extreme 6 | Sharkoon T28 

Well it was a followup from a previous video. Linus wanted to complete it basically. There has been a lot of talk about using the mod mic on the forum so it was an appropriate video.

He's been making videos about motherboards, cpus, gpus, cases, peripherals, accessories, and phones like he always has.

EDIT: might I add.... an unboxing can only be so entertaining. I'm pretty sure Linus maxes that out.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I don't feel there has been a drastic lack of content. I enjoyed the Mod mic video it finally showed off the quality of the Mic which I was interested in since the unboxing.

Last 2 months we have had some awesome videos. The Build Guides were really good, Fractal Define R4 unboxing, a few 700 Series cards, 7990, Omni interview, Xonar unboxing and many more. The videos seem to me to be as interesting as they have been. There is a lull right now in new tech. and maybe you are simply less interested in the things in the videos which will happen from time to time.

There is a video coming up with "lots of fire" which I am REALLY looking forward to (slight pyro).

There is a bit of a drought in the tech world now. NVidia, Intel and AMD haven't made alot of things the last couple of months. Just wait untill the holiday season and Q1 and Q2 of 2014. It's usuallly there the majore tech releases happen

umm.... have you been living under a rock? In the past few months we had 7790 7990, GTX 7xx series, Haswell, socket 1150 motherboards. Those are the biggest releases in the computer world and they're all from a few months ago.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

I guess I just miss the old days where it'd be Linus in some small room unboxing a case nearly as big as him xD I guess there is a lull in tech but I always found that Linus could make the most boring products fun and interesting to watch, just not getting that vibe anymore.

Would love to see Linus' response to this and see if he thinks anything is up or it's just me.

A drought? NVidia probably isn't even finished with releasing their 700 series graphics cards (ti, boost, etc.), meanwhile people are already just getting their hands on the shield. All Intel does is make processors anymore (Since they recently stopped manufacturing Mobos), and they only recently released Haswell. Also, AMD Just released their new APUs and there's so much hype going on over the 9xxx series.

Plus the pick and choose what to do...

Considering every other tech bastard does unboxings/reviews/overviews/previews/whatnot as well.....

I'm sure it can be hard to decide whether to even do a video on a certain subject at times when in the last hour 10 different tubers have done the same.

Let alone thinking ahead, curiously cautious if others have samples delivered at the same time and rushing to be first video unboxing/review.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Plus the pick and choose what to do...

Considering every other tech bastard does unboxings/reviews/overviews/previews/whatnot as well.....

I'm sure it can be hard to decide whether to even do a video on a certain subject at times when in the last hour 10 different tubers have done the same.

This is actually a great point, probably the best i've seen so far imo, would love to see the guys get their hands on something like Glass and give to Luke or Dezel for a month and do a blog style series on it with maybe a vlog through glass every couple of days for the first couple of weeks then just a weekly video for the last two weeks finishing with a review all through google glass would really love that.

I agree with you.

The thing I hate the most is the stupid Razer Comms. The thing doesn't work, the beta is still a verry early alpha.

Proud to be from Belgium.

The mod mic video was just an example because it was fresh in my mind from earlier there are a fair more that seem very low effort and boring to me.

i think it only feels like it because you gained more knowledge. I like the new style of unboxings and they are as entertaining as ever. And i'm sure i watched them all :D

I disagree. I would like to see more content similar to that of the live stream. I enjoy that stuff much more than just regular unboxings and overviews of products.

It's still interesting and Linus is still the first person I go to for over views, searching up a product name on google and 80%+ of the time having an over view from Linus is pretty damned amazing if you ask me.

I say keep it up! They've provided us with a place for the community to go to, which is not a cheap thing to uphold, they release videos every week for free, for us, they take the time out of their weekend to do the WAN show, which is amazing.

In my opinion I think the quality, and the style of videos have improved over time, and for that I'm appreciative :)

#!

I love there vids but there live streams are getting dull. to me they got dull and boring when they started using  razer. and there after party's are boring they need to play newer games. besides that i have no problem with them i love linus media groupe

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Guys come on, give them a brake, there are no new GPU-s, CPU-s or important MOBO-s out of course you will not see the most interesting content ever, i mean Zalman has a new cooler, maybe they do that, soon the radeon HD9000 series will come out, new APU-s, etc, they did all of the MEGA interesting stuff at launch, you can't have 100% time mind blowing reviews.

For a long time i taught keyboard reviews are boring, until my keyboard started dieing and i got into that, now i am a proud owner of the Logitech g710+ and i get excited like a little dog or Slick when a keyboard unboxings start, same thing happened to me 2 years ago when i bought a good headset, GPU last year, etc.

What i am trying to say is if you don't have interest in a particular product you will find videos about it boring, i like the fact that Linus Tech is going well and i love the new less geeky Linus ( He is still geeky don't get me wrong, that is good, but not as when he started doing this ) and that they correct mistakes, and that he is showing all of us that there is more than just GHZ in our computers...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Guys come on, give them a brake, there are no new GPU-s, CPU-s or important MOBO-s out of course you will not see the most interesting content ever, i mean Zalman has a new cooler, maybe they do that, soon the radeon HD9000 series will come out, new APU-s, etc, they did all of the MEGA interesting stuff at launch, you can't have 100% time mind blowing reviews.

For a long time i taught keyboard reviews are boring, until my keyboard started dieing and i got into that, now i am a proud owner of the Logitech g710+ and i get excited like a little dog or Slick when a keyboard unboxings start, same thing happened to me 2 years ago when i bought a good headset, GPU last year, etc.

What i am trying to say is if you don't have interest in a particular product you will find videos about it boring, i like the fact that Linus Tech is going well and i love the new less geeky Linus ( He is still geeky don't get me wrong, that is good, but not as when he started doing this ) and that they correct mistakes, and that he is showing all of us that there is more than just GHZ in our computers...

What are you smoking mate, Haswell was just released along with the 700 series cards and the 9000 series is around the corner.