Programming Software

AOGames
Go to solution Solved by Grrizz,

Oh okay well Im not like a true beginner Ive dabbled but only in the past year got really into it

My personal takeaway was VS has a bit of a learning curve so if your learning to code too it can slow you down a bit but at some point I always recommend people at least try VS because once you start to learn about some of its features it can make life a lot easier and more productive, I still find things that I didn't know about or know how to use properly (whether it just be I didn't know about them at all or simply didn't need them up to that point) but once you've taken the time to learn them it just makes it a more powerful tool.

One of the add-ons I recommend (albeit not for free) is Visual Assist, at times coding can become a case of just hitting enter over and over lol, IDK why it hasn't been bought up and built in by default yet TBH. Also right click on the code windows scroll bar and in the options select 'Use map mode', I love that feature :)

Edit: What madknight3 said ^^ I'm only familiar with pro so its good he can give some insight regarding the other versions :)

I currently use visual studio to do my coding as I am new and that was the easiest for me to get into but I looking for a alternative to it that.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in Advance

-

AOGames

What language were you using? C++? VB?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Personally I'd stick with VS, if anything I'd start with something else then move to VS but if you want to go the other way I used to like Code::Blocks.

Personally I'd stick with VS, if anything I'd start with something else then move to VS but if you want to go the other way I used to like Code::Blocks.

Oh so is VS a more full featured program? Cause I kinda feel locked down.

IDK if the free version is more limiting but VS really shouldn't make you feel locked down IMO, for most it can be a bit overwhelming which is why I usually recommend something like Code::Blocks or even Notepad++ or something for real beginners.

IDK if the free version is more limiting but VS really shouldn't make you feel locked down IMO, for most it can be a bit overwhelming which is why I usually recommend something like Code::Blocks or even Notepad++ or something for real beginners.

Oh okay well Im not like a true beginner Ive dabbled but only in the past year got really into it

For .NET development Visual Studio Community is probably the best option out there in terms of an editor. Note that Visual Studio Community and Visual Studio Code are two very different applications. VS Code is more of a lightweight editor with far fewer features while VS Community is a fully featured IDE. VS Community has so many features you'll probably never learn about them all, and on top of that it has a wide selection of extensions to do even more.

Perhaps if you describe what your issues are with it, we can help you get past them.

For .NET development Visual Studio Community is probably the best option out there in terms of an editor. Note that Visual Studio Community and Visual Studio Code are two very different applications. VS Code is more of a lightweight editor with far fewer features while VS Community is a fully featured IDE. VS Community has so many features you'll probably never learn about them all, and on top of that it has a wide selection of extensions to do even more.

Perhaps if you describe what you're issues are with it, we can help you get past them.

Honestly Im kinda starting to think that my issues stem from a lack of knowledge if all you are saying its a good full featured software. So I guess the question has evolved into what some methods of getting more informed and learning more C# for scripting in games

My personal takeaway was VS has a bit of a learning curve so if your learning to code too it can slow you down a bit but at some point I always recommend people at least try VS because once you start to learn about some of its features it can make life a lot easier and more productive, I still find things that I didn't know about or know how to use properly (whether it just be I didn't know about them at all or simply didn't need them up to that point) but once you've taken the time to learn them it just makes it a more powerful tool.

One of the add-ons I recommend (albeit not for free) is Visual Assist, at times coding can become a case of just hitting enter over and over lol, IDK why it hasn't been bought up and built in by default yet TBH. Also right click on the code windows scroll bar and in the options select 'Use map mode', I love that feature :)

Edit: What madknight3 said ^^ I'm only familiar with pro so its good he can give some insight regarding the other versions :)

Okay Ill Look into it

Honestly Im kinda starting to think that my issues stem from a lack of knowledge if all you are saying its a good full featured software. So I guess the question has evolved into what some methods of getting more informed and learning more C# for scripting in games

In terms of game development with C#, you'll probably want to look into Unity. They probably have their own standalone tools (I'm not a Unity developer so I don't know much about their tooling) but you can also add Unity support to Visual Studio.

For Windows desktop development, you have Console, WinForms and WPF apps. In terms of web development you have ASP.NET (VS also has good support for Node.js these days I believe). For cross platform apps you have the Universal Windows Platform. For mobile apps (Android/iOS) in C# you can use Xamarin (unfortunately VS support is expensive but the have their own editor for you to use called Xamarin Studio) although I would consider native app development since Xamarin can get expensive.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with this tool but it looks pretty good (at least for C++, I'm not sure about it's C# support). It (sort of) looks like a competitor to here so I think I'll be fine sticking with ReSharper even if I did do C++ development. Note that while someone in the comments of the product comparison page suggests it's a fair comparison, take it with a grain of salt since they are the creators of ReSharper C++ and it could be biased.