Sony could soon develop its own smartphone chips

Considering LG’s blunder, and even the time it’s taken Exynos processors to become a wide-scale Snapdragon alternative, we can’t help but wonder if Sony affords similar false steps. The Xperia family must thrive ASAP, not in 2017 or 2018, and although Sony wouldn’t produce the chips from scratch, partnering with Taiwan-based fabless ASIC design service provider Global Unichip on a custom silicon sounds like quite the investment and short-term gamble.

Source: http://pocketnow.com/2015/11/19/sony-in-house-smartphone-chips-rumor

Although having hard times achieving profit in smartphone business, Sony is determined to change its luck. After denying possibility to exit smartphone market, the latest report suggests the company plans to develop its own in-house mobile system-on-a-chip.

Source: http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/24791/sony-allegedly-developing-in-house-mobile-chipset/

Other Sources: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-is-allegedly-working-on-an-in-house-smartphone-SoC_id75891

Sony is planning on making its own SoCs with the help of u=numerous companies to capture newer markets including...well making smartphone chips

The mobile race has definitely changed over the course of 5 years with more companies now joining the market

The problem is that the mobile CPUs are usually limited when it comes to SoCs

I really hope that more companies start to step-up with newer designs to improve efficiency and performance

Note: Take this story with a grain of salt

I wish this could happen to the desktop graphics card market today

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Are we talking ARM stuff or completely proprietary SoC? Because that worked so well with the PS3...

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Are we talking ARM stuff or completely proprietary SoC? Because that worked so well with the PS3...

Wasn't the PS3 Cell based? I thought they found the Cell design in a wheely bin outside IBM...

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Wasn't the PS3 Cell based? I thought they found the Cell design in a wheely bin outside IBM...

I'm not 100% sure about its origins, but I know that it was hell on earth to develop for... They wouldn't have ditched it in favour of a underperforming x86 platform if it was good, would they?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.