Buying a desktop replacement (GAMING laptop)

Hello there,

I have no idea where to post this thread, nor I have any idea about mobile CPU's and GPU's.
The time has come that I'd have to get rid of my system and get myself something a bit more portable.

I do a lot of gaming, I mainly play World of Warcraft and it's the only game I really want to run completely maxed out, with 2x or 4x msaa, depending on how much is needed on a 17.3" screen.
Other than that, I'm playing some other games like gta, where I don't really mind tweaking down the settings a little bit, while I also do a fair bit of 3d modelling and mechanical design.

The gaming laptop I was looking for was the Asus ROG G751JY since it features tons of RAM, 4720hq, SSD, HDD and a 980m 4GB GPU, connected to a G-sync display which is awesome for a game that is bound to deep below 60fps at certain moments. My biggest concern is, will it be able to run world of warcraft on ultra settings with 2x or 4x msaa, still having that steady 60fps at most of the times? Is there anyone out there playing games on this laptop, how well does it perform? 

Kind regards.

Hello there,

I have no idea where to post this thread, nor I have any idea about mobile CPU's and GPU's.

The time has come that I'd have to get rid of my system and get myself something a bit more portable.

I do a lot of gaming, I mainly play World of Warcraft and it's the only game I really want to run completely maxed out, with 2x or 4x msaa, depending on how much is needed on a 17.3" screen.

Other than that, I'm playing some other games like gta, where I don't really mind tweaking down the settings a little bit, while I also do a fair bit of 3d modelling and mechanical design.

The gaming laptop I was looking for was the Asus ROG G751JY since it features tons of RAM, 4720hq, SSD, HDD and a 980m 4GB GPU, connected to a G-sync display which is awesome for a game that is bound to deep below 60fps at certain moments. My biggest concern is, will it be able to run world of warcraft on ultra settings with 2x or 4x msaa, still having that steady 60fps at most of the times? Is there anyone out there playing games on this laptop, how well does it perform? 

Kind regards.

980m would be able to max out world of warcraft no problem

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

980m would be able to max out world of warcraft no problem

what about razer? ever considered their laptop. it is way thinner and lighter than the rog g751

and will easly play WoWcraft maxed out. 

what about razer? ever considered their laptop. it is way thinner and lighter than the rog g751

and will easly play WoWcraft maxed out. 

well it doesnt have g sync, he wants 17 inch, and asus would be much cheaper

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

well it doesnt have g sync, he wants 17 inch, and asus would be much cheaper

in the end its up to the user. if i was gonna get either id get the razer blade. thats just my 2 cents

in the end its up to the user. if i was gonna get either id get the razer blade. thats just my 2 cents

yeah i know its just $500+ more and it isnt as powerful, doesnt have gsync, and i dont think its worth the mone, dont get me wrong its an amazing laptop just a lot of money

yeah i know its just $500+ more and it isnt as powerful, doesnt have gsync, and i dont think its worth the mone, dont get me wrong its an amazing laptop just a lot of money

ya totally agree. 

According to the internet, the ROG one runs way cooler and I can even have it on my lap while surfing the internet due to it's cooling design. There are milions of complaints about razer's laptops overheating and G-sync is really a must for me. I've also had ROG products for a while and they ended up being very reliable and awesome performing. I would think about razer because of the color scheme, I absolutely love green color, so that's why I chose it for most of my peripherials, but I don't mind turning the keyboard lightning off since there is no use of it for me afterall.