is there a way to power a 4 pin fan off a usb header?

astranger200

None without going to the shops to buy an adapter...

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

not really, PC fans run on 12v, your USB headers are only 5v

it will either run extremely slowly or not at all

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have more fans than fan headers and cant go to the shops to get a splitter... ideas?

Getting a fan splitter are your best bet, usually it's a good rule of thumb to have a max of 3-4 fans per header:

http://www.amazon.com/PWM-Y-Splitter-Cable-Adapter/dp/B002OFP6QW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447827437&sr=8-3&

Getting a fan splitter are your best bet, usually it's a good rule of thumb to have a max of 3-4 fans per header:

http://www.amazon.com/PWM-Y-Splitter-Cable-Adapter/dp/B002OFP6QW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447827437&sr=8-3&

None without going to the shops to buy an adapter...

not really, PC fans run on 12v, your USB headers are only 5v

it will either run extremely slowly or not at all

I was just wondering if you could even plug it in...

I am running a fan of a usb cable I hackd up and 5v is fine for it...

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

I was just wondering if you could even plug it in...

I am running a fan of a usb cable I hackd up and 5v is fine for it...

Well there is no official plug or adapter for that kind of setup but if your fan is capable of starting at 5V it will work off of USB but will stay at that fixed speed.

Yes, it will work. In fact, connecting a fan to a 5V wire is a commonly used way to reduce the noise it produces. However, please bear in mind that USB is powered by the 5V-standby rail of the power supply, not the regular 5V rail, so the fan will keep spinning even if the computer is switched off, and the only way to stop it working is to turn off the power supply itself.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Strip the cables and wire them directly into a molex cable

Current Rig

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0ghz MOBO: MSI Z87m-G45 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v GPU: MSI R9 270x PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Case: Corsair Air 240 (modded) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb HDD: Samsung 1tb Apple Hard Drive Mouse: Razer Naga 2014