Painting a Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME Motherboard with Plasti-Dip

Lampenboy

Hey guys, 

So I've hoarded all the parts I need for an upgrade in the past months, a Sapphire 390 (getting a second one once Vulkan/DX12 hits), 1000w Corsair Gold PSU, Corsair Air 540 black (It was custom painted to white so that's why I'm going for a white/black theme.),

Enermax Twister Cluster Fans (5x 120mm, 1x 140mm), a Corsair H100i, sleeved white cabels and finally a 5820k (Ik it's overkill).

Last thing I need is just a motherboard, but it was also the things that gives me the biggest headache. 

I originally settled an Asus X99-A, but a friend of mine sells a RAMPAGE V EXTREME for 250€ (268$). That's just too cheap (Cost about 500€ on Amazon).

I know it works and I know it's in a great condition. Only problem is, it's red. So I've been looking around to try and find a way to paint the red DIMM and PCI-E slots white and Plasti-Dip looked like the safest solution. Has anyone in here experience with trying to paint a motherboard? I already saw a post on this forum but it was about painting the PCB and not the slots. 

tl:dr: I need help painting a mainboard with Plasti-Dip.

Hope some of you can help me.

Thanks in advance!  :)

Spoiler

i7 5820k @4.6Ghz (1.3V) // Asus X99 Sabertooth // Sapphire R9 390 Nitro (1120Mhz/1700Mhz) // 16GB DDR4 // BenQ Xl2730z for dat Freesync mhmhmhmh

Have you seen this: 

?

And the 2nd part 

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

His original post only had the first video :P

The 2nd part doesn't really have any painting :/

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

I should have probably added that I've seen the Videos of Linus doing it, but wasn't that another type of paint?

I mean Plasti-Dip is basically electric tape in liquid form, so would that still be as dangerous (or maybe even more dangerous because of thermal isolation and stuff) for the slots involved?

Spoiler

i7 5820k @4.6Ghz (1.3V) // Asus X99 Sabertooth // Sapphire R9 390 Nitro (1120Mhz/1700Mhz) // 16GB DDR4 // BenQ Xl2730z for dat Freesync mhmhmhmh

I should have probably added that I've seen the Videos of Linus doing it, but wasn't that another type of paint?

I mean Plasti-Dip is basically electric tape in liquid form, so would that still be as dangerous (or maybe even more dangerous because of thermal isolation and stuff) for the slots involved?

maybe if you ask nicely @LinusTech will sell his to you if they aren't using it

Because he had a hard drive.

Ok for painting the motherboard dimms do not use plasti-dip, it's not the same as spray paint where it will gum up the slots and ruin the board since it's a rubber based coating. You'll be better off to find a board that is the right color but if you want to paint it as others have posted the video of him spraying the board or brush paining is your best choice.

Ok for painting the motherboard dimms do not use plasti-dip, it's not the same as spray paint where it will gum up the slots and ruin the board since it's a rubber based coating. You'll be better off to find a board that is the right color but if you want to paint it as others have posted the video of him spraying the board or brush paining is your best choice.

Wouldn't the exact same thing happen with everything else? Of course I'd try my best to put tape over the contacts etc., but how would plasti-dip be any different from normal paint?

Spoiler

Wouldn't the exact same thing happen with everything else? Of course I'd try my best to put tape over the contacts etc., but how would plasti-dip be any different from normal paint?

Check in my signature for the Modding FAQ under Plasri-dip but it's a much thicker coating than spray paint which can also gum up if applied really thick but if you are applying masking or a temporary cover for the slots to protect the contacts it will need cut line before removing. If not it just peels up the surrounding Plasti-dip.

Check in my signature for the Modding FAQ under Plasri-dip but it's a much thicker coating than spray paint which can also gum up if applied really thick but if you are applying masking or a temporary cover for the slots to protect the contacts it will need cut line before removing. If not it just peels up the surrounding Plasti-dip.

Read through it ,really nice guide btw, I have all the stuff needed for plasti-dip-ing and to me, it sounds a lot easier and alot saver than doing it with normal spray paint. I'd cover up the slots like linus did in his video and make cutlines at the edge of the covers (which cover the contacts). This also sounds like a way better solution in that I dont have to worry about the contacts getting oversprayed and me not being able to fully remove all the paint. Thoughts?

Spoiler

Read through it ,really nice guide btw, I have all the stuff needed for plasti-dip-ing and to me, it sounds a lot easier and alot saver than doing it with normal spray paint. I'd cover up the slots like linus did in his video and make cutlines at the edge of the covers (which cover the contacts). This also sounds like a way better solution in that I dont have to worry about the contacts getting oversprayed and me not being able to fully remove all the paint. Thoughts?

As long as you are able to make the cut lines around the slots and between the sloths/board, as long as your keeping it from getting inside the slot where the contacts are it could be possible, a fair bit of extra work but I would do a test first to see how it goes before doing it on your new board.

As long as you are able to make the cut lines around the slots and between the sloths/board, as long as your keeping it from getting inside the slot where the contacts are it could be possible, a fair bit of extra work but I would do a test first to see how it goes before doing it on your new board.

Yea, I'd definitely try it on something before doing it on the board. 

Thank you very much, you were really helpfull. I looked this up alot but all I could find (even on Linus's video were it obviously worked) were people saying "Don't because it's retarded" or "Omg rip board", not giving and reasons why.

Have a great day/night.  :)

Spoiler

Cut out cardboard pieces that are the same size as RAM and put em in the slots or something and you should be fine.

(Same for GPU slots)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089