SP120 vs AF120

Roman_Noodles5

Hey guys, quick question. I'm getting new corsair fans for my Air 540 (yes I know they aren't the best in terms of performance, but I am willing to sacrifice a little performance for better looks), however, I am having a hard time deciding between 3xSP120 or 3xAF120 for intake. What would be better?

Depends on the situation. If there is little to block the flow of air, then go for AF. If there is stuff to block the flow (HDD cages, radiators etc. etc.) then go for SP. 

Are you having an AIO at the intake? if so then the sp's if not the af's. The sp's are static pressure fans and are good at getting air through radiators or restrictive spaces where as the af's are good for non obstructive spaces.

use SPs if you are using them on rads, drive cages are in the path of the air blown by the fan or heatsyncs otherwise use AFs

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

from what I can tell that case would benifit mostly from AF fans though unless you are using an AIO cooler or on the cpu heatsync itself

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

There is nothing in front of the fans to obstruct it, air goes straight to the gpu. Also no AIO as intake. The reason I'm asking is I've heard some say that an SP would be better if you have a pretty fine fan filter (which I have), so would this obstruct the AF enough to make a noticeable performance hit? Thanks for the quick replies :D 

Depends on the situation. If there is little to block the flow of air, then go for AF. If there is stuff to block the flow (HDD cages, radiators etc. etc.) then go for SP. 

It's not like the AF120's have no static pressure. They're better and quieter until obstacles are more restrictive like a dense heatsink or rad.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.