120hz and up. Worth the upgrade ?

doktornpro

Now i know that many people love the 120hz and up monitors and for good reasons, but i have used a 60hz all my life and i am well used to it.

At this point if i am used to a 60 hz is it worth it to upgrade to 120 and more ?

Or will my gpu struggle for nothing

Your gpu won't sturggle any more than it is now, but I'm not sure if you will be able to make use of 144hz panels with it

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

120hz is a BIG difference after a while of using it. You will notice after around a month or so using 120 hz that its quite a bit smoother. If your just using a 1080p it shouldnt sturuggle if you have the hardware ^^

I don't personally own one but I have tried one out for a whole day at an event. Only when I went back to 60Hz did I realise how drastic the difference was.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Playing Wolfenstein: The New Order on mine.... I'll say mine has been a solid investment, game looks great

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Now i know that many people love the 120hz and up monitors and for good reasons, but i have used a 60hz all my life and i am well used to it.

At this point if i am used to a 60 hz is it worth it to upgrade to 120 and more ?

Or will my gpu struggle for nothing

its way worth it, you do emediatly see the differance once going back to a slower one if having used the faster one for a while

CPU: i7 8700k, 4.9ghz 1.29v llc1  Motherboard: Asus Z370-i G  Ram: Trident-Z 3200mhz->3866 cl17,17,37
GPU: Strix Oc 1080ti 2075mhz  Case: aNcase M1
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb, x2 Raid 0 PSU: Corsair SF600 SFX
Display: Acer Predator x34 100hz 1440p  
Cooling: Celsius C24  Operating System: W10   

Your gpu won't sturggle any more than it is now, but I'm not sure if you will be able to make use of 144hz panels with it

I wont be using the current gpu i own, i am going to be using a gtx 980 ti

120hz is a BIG difference after a while of using it. You will notice after around a month or so using 120 hz that its quite a bit smoother. If your just using a 1080p it shouldnt sturuggle if you have the hardware ^^

so i wont feel the difference when i go to 120 hz unless i get used to it ?

I wont be using the current gpu i own, i am going to be using a gtx 980 ti

Oh then yeah you will be able to enjoy the high refresh rates. Also btw 120hz panels are very rare, 144hz ones are more common. And if its worth for you to spend you money on that type of monitor, its really up to you. I bet you will be able to see the difference, but if you say you have no problems...then maybe you could get yourself an ultrawide monitor with ips panel and 60hz (can buy also more gamer-ey ones with higher refresh rates) if you're not that serious about competitive gaming

its way worth it, you do emediatly see the differance once going back to a slower one if having used the faster one for a while

so i wont notice it unless i compare it to a 60 hz after i have gotten used to it ? it sounds kinda pointless xD

i would say you do get used to it alot faster then what he says. and also notice it. but i was using a 144hz with two 980 ti's so my fps was never lower.

CPU: i7 8700k, 4.9ghz 1.29v llc1  Motherboard: Asus Z370-i G  Ram: Trident-Z 3200mhz->3866 cl17,17,37

Oh then yeah you will be able to enjoy the high refresh rates. Also btw 120hz panels are very rare, 144hz ones are more common. And if its worth for you to spend you money on that type of monitor, its really up to you. I bet you will be able to see the difference, but if you say you have no problems...then maybe you could get yourself an ultrawide monitor with ips panel and 60hz (can buy also more gamer-ey ones with higher refresh rates) if you're not that serious about competitive gaming

nah man i am not a competetive gamer, i just do it for fun and work on my pc, and since i spend a big part of my life infront of a screen i wanna make sure its going to be enjoyable xD

i would say you do get used to it alot faster then what he says. and also notice it. but i was using a 144hz with two 980 ti's so my fps was never lower.

I will only be able to afford one gtx 980 ti xD even that is quite expensive to me

so i wont notice it unless i compare it to a 60 hz after i have gotten used to it ? it sounds kinda pointless xD

personaly i bought a predator x34 just 2 days ago. (w8ting for it now) its max hz is 100 wich will be more then anough to satisfie me for just game enjoyment. aslong as 100fps is kept almost at all times. its going to be alot smoother then 60hz

well your eyes just have to adjust to a smoother gameplay. when you look at  120 or 144hz vs a 60 hz, there is a huge difference. Especially since you have a 980 ti theres no real point in doing 60 hz :P

You'll notice the difference immediately, but I will say you'll get more benefit in some types of games over others. For example, FPS games get the biggest bonus, I found it really good back when I was into Starcraft 2 and I was playing against a bunch of Diamonds that lived near me xD

Pretty sure they use high refresh rate monitors exclusively for SC2 tourneys now. But even for casual games, the fluid motion makes the gameplay feel much nicer

You could even get the BenQ ultrawide, VA Panel, 144Hz, it is kind of pricey though. Acer have some good offerings these days, even at 1080p. I generally don't recommend the Asus 144Hz monitors, unless it's an ROG one. The non G-Sync ones are prices similarly to BenQs monitors, and I find the build quality of the latter to be a notch higher

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

nah man i am not a competetive gamer, i just do it for fun and work on my pc, and since i spend a big part of my life infront of a screen i wanna make sure its going to be enjoyable xD

Ultrawides are great for work, trust me. Especially 1440p ones

well your eyes just have to adjust to a smoother gameplay. when you look at  120 or 144hz vs a 60 hz, there is a huge difference. Especially since you have a 980 ti theres no real point in doing 60 hz :P

You'll notice the difference immediately, but I will say you'll get more benefit in some types of games over others. For example, FPS games get the biggest bonus, I found it really good back when I was into Starcraft 2 and I was playing against a bunch of Diamonds that lived near me xD

Pretty sure they use high refresh rate monitors exclusively for SC2 tourneys now. But even for casual games, the fluid motion makes the gameplay feel much nicer

You could even get the BenQ ultrawide, VA Panel, 144Hz, it is kind of pricey though. Acer have some good offerings these days, even at 1080p. I generally don't recommend the Asus 144Hz monitors, unless it's an ROG one. The non G-Sync ones are prices similarly to BenQs monitors, and I find the build quality of the latter to be a notch higher

okay so i guess it is worth it xD  but its so damn hard to find the perfect monitor unless your wallet is about to explode from money

i seccound this. altho im using a 4k screen atm and space hasnt been an issue. im looking forward to get my x34 in 2 weeks :P

Yea i would love an ultrawide but they are even more expensive xD and the ones that arent either dont come with an ips panel or are limmited by 60 hz or some other crap

Yea i would love an ultrawide but they are even more expensive xD and the ones that arent either dont come with an ips panel or are limmited by 60 hz or some other crap

Mine is ips 60hz. I like it.