What's the best overall anti virus?

whengtotsz

Bitdefender 2015 + Common Sense 2015 (Only available to knowledgeable computer users)

MalwareBytes is pretty great. TDSSKiller is good for really "wormy" viruses. AVG is good for scans. Avast is also a great all-rounder.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Common Sense

Serious answer;

MalwareBytes (application) with uBlock Origin and Disconnect in your browser (Chrome, Firefox, or Opera.) It should keep your computer mostly clean, and if you want a proper antivirus, avast! seems to be pretty decent most of the time.

Avast, and use Malwarebytes with it.

^^ THIS. I get asked the question A LOT. This is what i run. Cheap and you will need nothing else.

EDIT: ITS FREE!!!!!!!

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

MalwareBytes is pretty great. TDSSKiller is good for really "wormy" viruses. AVG is good for scans. Avast is also a great all-rounder.

MWB isn't an AV.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

MWB isn't an AV.

It removes zero-day malware. It's not a replacement for an AV, but it is still excellent to use after, say, torrenting a lot of things or downloading something from a sketch website.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

MWB isn't an AV.

Your right its antimalware. A PERFECT complement to antivirus, since viruses dont exist much anymore, its mostly malware.

Dont grill me, i know they exist i just dont feel like explaining it all out... lol

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

I use Norton 360 for anti virus and It constantly scans my PC In the background (and no Its not much of a performance hit, my laptop with a Celeron runs fine)

And I use Norton Power Eraser to scan for Malware (If I think I have some)

Norton 360 = Paid

Norton Power Eraser = Free

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general. This question is asked too much. This thread should be a sticky, but of course, should be audited for errors and such beforehand..

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender. Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky. I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past. You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs. (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

Do not get Avast!, as it is complete shit. Go to this link to find out why.

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with, with Malwarebytes. Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one. So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner. Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.

AVG or avast for antivirus

Then add malwarebytes on top of that, you need it too

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Avast or Kaspersky? I need to narrow it down. I will be buying it, so I need the best. :(

CommonSense. I'm dead serious. That's the best AV out there, your brain. If it look sketchy, it probably is. If it looks tacky, it probably is. If it's using a CLICK HERE that looks like it's from the 1990s, it's probably gonna do some crazy shit on your machine.

If, however, you feel you simply MUST have an AV to do the thinking for you... build a PFSense box and install an AV on it. Then your CPU doesn't have to be bogged down by it all the time.