SteamOS gaming performs significantly worse than Windows

tangra

That's pretty disappointing to see an Nvidia GPU get so wrecked in Linux, considering Nvida OpenGL drivers murder AMD's. I can't imagine what the results would have been like had they used a 7850 instead of a 660.

eventually it will get better im sure.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I get great performance on my Ubuntu (the difference is pretty small between Windows), but this difference is just...insane. This has to do with poor drivers and poor work from developers otherwise...what is wrong with SteamOS?

lol... and people tried convincing me to use SteamOS on a budget PC.

It is still great if a budget can't push a Windows OS or if someone absolutely does not want to use Windows. Plus, things will get better, though I would have just advised a normal Ubuntu or Mint install over a SteamOS.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'd figured this with Portal on my Tecra m5 (Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I get great performance on my Ubuntu (the difference is pretty small between Windows), but this difference is just...insane. This has to do with poor drivers and poor work from developers otherwise...what is wrong with SteamOS?

It is still great if a budget can't push a Windows OS or if someone absolutely does not want to use Windows. Plus, things will get better, though I would have just advised a normal Ubuntu or Mint install over a SteamOS.

I can't confirm right now but I think Valve may not be updating the drivers to the latest available to avoid stability issues.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I can't confirm right now but I think Valve may not be updating the drivers to the latest available to avoid stability issues.

That would certainly explain it. I haven't seen that kind of difference in performance in any of the games I play.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Oh wow, the amount of people forgiving Valve, making excuses is really high in this thread. If this was reversed I don't think I would see any remorse.

We will but only with Vulkan, which will perform like DX12. Never on current openGL, it's too far gone... Ecosystem's a mess. Drivers, conformance etc...

there isnt a single game out yet that uses DX12, your argument is void of point.

It isn't comparing DirectX12 vs OpenGL. The games are not in DirectX12

Arent most of Valve's game even in Directx 9  still or 10 in the case of Dota?

WELL NO FUCKING SHIT IT'S NOT GONNA MAX OUT SHADOW OF MORDOR

It's kind of the point of benchmarking... Or would you rather they benchmarked on Medal of Honor and directx what was it, 7?

there isnt a single game out yet that uses DX12, your argument is void of point.

That has nothing to do with what I said.

This is not surprising unless OpenGL was used on both Windows and Linux.

Lord of Helium.

Is this a comparison between OpenGL on Windows and OpenGL on GNU/Linux, or DirectX on Windows and OpenGL on GNU/Linux?

​Use the same API to compare, as that is very dependent on the game's coding.

Is this a comparison between OpenGL on Windows and OpenGL on GNU/Linux, or DirectX on Windows and OpenGL on GNU/Linux?

​Use the same API to compare, as that is very dependent on the game's coding.

OpenGL on windows performs similarly to openGL on Linux.

But it doesn't really matter on windows because it's barely used anymore.

Which means it's a problem with the game's coding and not GNU/Linux itself (assuming Nvidia drivers). I'd wait for Vulkan to jump to any major conclusions, assuming developers decide to use it instead of DX12, like they should be doing.

Valve should just suck it up and admit windows is fine for gaming as it is instead of crying constantly about microsoft being a monopoly or some shit.

Because honestly the Steam machines are going to be a huge flop, basically just a budget gaming pc with Valve's crap limited use OS. You're better off building a PC for the same price and getting windows with far more functionality.

As much as valve think's its gonna be so good and so hyped and it's gonna bring gaming to linux, it's not worth getting at all. 

Which means it's a problem with the game's coding and not GNU/Linux itself (assuming Nvidia drivers). I'd wait for Vulkan to jump to any major conclusions, assuming developers decide to use it instead of DX12, like they should be doing.

The problem is DX12 is based off of DX11, which is based off DX10 and DX9 and so on.

And all the game engines are already founded on DX9 or so. So it's a lot easier just to run with DX12. Vulkan means they have to redo a bunch of crap which in their eyes is a waste of time and resources. It's also already optimized to run on DX than on OpenGL. Which is why on most DX+OpenGL support engines OpenGL runs a lot worse, simply because it hasn't had much time put into it aside from the poor drivers and performance on it's side.

Think from the POV of the developer here. That's all I can really say.

Vulkan is cool and all, but it's going to end up similar to the Mantle situation, maybe a bit better off though because it supports more platforms.

If by Steam OS you mean to say all fucking Linux drivers then yes, absolutely they perform worst, if at all mind you (i.e. try using an older GPU). This was my point of contention with Valve for over a year now: So much fucking time wasted on a stupid controller and they couldn't muster better driver support from anyone.

The Video Drivers are maintained by AMD and Nvidia respectively. They are to blame... especially cough.. AMD.

The Video Drivers are maintained by AMD and Nvidia respectfully. 

Did you mean respectively? Because the sorry state they're in is not respectful at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wouldn't say barely, I've gotten at least 3 games in the last couple months that are OpenGL only. With that said, I do play JRPGs and VNs which seldom support DirectX in the first place. :P 

Did you mean respectively? Because the sorry state they're in is not respectful at all.

Fixed* :P 

Linux is garbage anyway, without drivers you dont have a platform at all i never managed to install linux nvidia drivers ever on multiple flavours i tried at least a dozen times with different version, asside from the fact that there are no audio drivers for xonar and other stuff.