UPS Type Power Supplies

Hi, I recently just heard of this thing called a uninterruptible power supply and I was wondering, is it an actual power supply itself or is it just something that a standard power supply can hook up to? I'm seeing some strange results come up. If it's some kind of battery, what should I be looking for? 

Hi, I recently just heard of this thing called a uninterruptible power supply and I was wondering, is it an actual power supply itself or is it just something that a standard power supply can hook up to? I'm seeing some strange results come up. If it's some kind of battery, what should I be looking for? 

Think of it as a giant surge protector with a battery

CyberPower-UPS_Battery-Backup-CP825AVRLC

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Its not something that goes inside your computer, its more like a power strip with a battery inside of it, which you plug your PC or other things into. 

I recommend Tripplite and APC, they make good quality stuff. Cyber Power is generally cheaper, but their quality on consumer stuff is questionable in my book.

a ups is a backup batery that you plug your pc and other things into so if the power cuts out it switches to the battery giving you time to shutdown corectly without losing files or risking file corruption from power loss

350-287614-894__1.jpg a more standard model

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

-snip

okay so they come with surge protectors in them as well? 

Most of them do.

Is it possible to buy them without them? I already have one and it's great, I don't see a reason to buy another. 

Is it possible to buy them without them? I already have one and it's great, I don't see a reason to buy another. 

Not really, they are built in, but there is no harm in having "2" surge protectors within the same circuit(in fact I imagine there would be more protection that way).

I've never seen one that isn't a UPS + Surge Protection.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

What should I be looking for in a UPS?

The total wattage that it can deliver when running on battery and the amount of runtime it has on battery.  If a unit is rated for 600W max capacity and 7 minutes of run time, it means that if you only load it up with 300W you'll get 14 minutes of run time (it's linear).

You can hack APC ones with bigger sealed lead acid batteries if you want to extend the run time a huge amount without paying to upgrade to models that come with bigger batteries.

Here's what I did to mine: http://forums.evga.com/APC-ES550-UPS-Huge-capacity-upgrade-m2347418.aspx#2347418

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

@Yames Just for clarity and to expand a bit on what @Midnitewarrior4 said, a UPS is to give you only a few more minutes to turn off the computer. You don't want to expect to be able to run your computer for an extended period on it. Even a 30 minute run time isn't likely to happen. 

What should I be looking for in a UPS?

Most UPS have built in surge protection in the unit itself but very low levels since it's a UPS it has the ability to detect incoming power and if it varies too much or is very noisy it will automatically disconnect from that wall source and go to battery mode until it improves, usually it happens for a few seconds where brownouts occur or large variations in voltages.

In terms of a UPS I usually recommend getting an APC unit, what are the specs of your system it will give us a better idea of what you will need.