Amiibos- Question for collectors

Helepolis

I finally got around to upgrading my 3DS XL to the newer version, and now I'm looking into collecting them as they seem fun/ a worthy investment when you consider they will give unlocks for more games down the road. I'm sure I'll eventually try collecting all of them (key word being try), but I'm wondering about the the unlocks and how and if the variations make much of a difference.

If I'm playing smash brothers and load a Ganondorf Amiibo for example, does it unlock the character for me or does it simply bypass that and load my Amiibo anyway?

I noticed there's some variations of characters, especially for mario such as 8 bit, gold, silver, smash edition, Dr, etc. I'm assuming Smash vs normal Super Mario is just a difference in modeling, but apart from games like smash or Mario maker, will the others for all intents and purposes be seen as JUST Mario in the pool of games so far?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure whether Amiibos unlock characters in Smash because I unlocked all of my characters by just playing the game. So I can't help you no that.

But I can tell you that the how different variations of Amiibo work. If you take the Yarn Yoshi and scan it in Super Mario Maker or Yoshi's Woolly World it'll give you a Yarn Yoshi. If you scan it in Smash Bros or Mario Kart though it'll be treated the same as a regular Yoshi. There's also technically a difference between the Super Mario series Mario and the Smash Bros one but I don't think any game treats them differently yet. So whether an alternate version of a character does the same thing or not depends on the game. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing