Teaching Middle Schoolers Tech?

Yoshigriff

So I help out some at my high school (i'm out of college now) with some random stuff.  It's a small private school so really only the essentials are taught.  They are going to be doing a week in the Spring where they pause the normal subjects in favor of a variety of random topics to introduce students to new things and maybe get them interested in what they might want to do with their lives.

One example...they're bringing in a guy to do robotics.  The one time I wish I was still in high school!

Anyway...they asked me if I could teach some sort of "techy" (their word) course.  I told them I'd think about it.

So my question to you all is, what would you suggest is a good starting point to teaching middle school aged kids about tech?  I'm no expert myself...built my first pc just a year ago and learn little bits and pieces here and there as I go...which I love but I clearly am not equipped to teach very many things.  I could probably sit in a class like this as a student...I've got plenty of questions  :P

I'm thinking...maybe introduce them to PC parts...maybe have a PC torn apart that they can put back together to see how all the pieces fit?  It needs to be simple....but they're all already somewhat computer literate so I don't want to dumb it down to the point where they're bored.  But I could easily do that in an hour.  I'd have four classes (therefore 4 hours) to fill.

Any suggestions?

ya go online to find some cheap used components set them out, talk about the basics, let them build the computer and see if it will turn on in the end giving them the satisfaction of "hey i built a pc today and it wasnt actually that hard to do" and thats what would really start them off if anything

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Your idea to intro them to PC components is great! You should go with that. It should captivate their interest (it captivates mine, and I'm 14, btw).

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

ya go online to find some cheap used components set them out, talk about the basics, let them build the computer and see if it will turn on in the end giving them the satisfaction of "hey i built a pc today and it wasnt actually that hard to do" and thats what would really start them off if anything

I 100 percent support this.

Moist

@Midnitewarrior4 is right

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Bring in a bunch of burlap sacks to hand out on the first day. Make sure all the kids know that they are lowly peasants but they can join the glorious PC master race if they pay attention to your class.

In all seriousness I would do something similar to what you are thinking about. Bring in an opened up PC with all the parts laying out for the kids to see. Explain what each part does and how it contributes to the function of the computer. I think if you focus on one or two components per class you could go fairly in depth without being overly technical. On the last day maybe let them try to build the PC to see if it posts.

So I help out some at my high school (i'm out of college now) with some random stuff.  It's a small private school so really only the essentials are taught.  They are going to be doing a week in the Spring where they pause the normal subjects in favor of a variety of random topics to introduce students to new things and maybe get them interested in what they might want to do with their lives.

One example...they're bringing in a guy to do robotics.  The one time I wish I was still in high school!

Anyway...they asked me if I could teach some sort of "techy" (their word) course.  I told them I'd think about it.

So my question to you all is, what would you suggest is a good starting point to teaching middle school aged kids about tech?  I'm no expert myself...built my first pc just a year ago and learn little bits and pieces here and there as I go...which I love but I clearly am not equipped to teach very many things.  I could probably sit in a class like this as a student...I've got plenty of questions  :P

I'm thinking...maybe introduce them to PC parts...maybe have a PC torn apart that they can put back together to see how all the pieces fit?  It needs to be simple....but they're all already somewhat computer literate so I don't want to dumb it down to the point where they're bored.  But I could easily do that in an hour.  I'd have four classes (therefore 4 hours) to fill.

Any suggestions?

You should have some sort of lab component, an experiment.  It adds a climax to the lessen.  People love to predict things.

Something like having two systems, one cooled properly and one that will thermal throttle.  Then you run a stressing task and with the same components and the better cooled one wins handily... simply by adding a few $5 fans.

Bring in a bunch of burlap sacks to hand out on the first day. Make sure all the kids know that they are lowly peasants but they can join the glorious PC master race if they pay attention to your class.

In all seriousness I would do something similar to what you are thinking about. Bring in an opened up PC with all the parts laying out for the kids to see. Explain what each part does and how it contributes to the function of the computer. I think if you focus on one or two components per class you could go fairly in depth without being overly technical. On the last day maybe let them try to build the PC to see if it posts.

1st: If this were the console gaming forum, you'd be banned already.

2nd: Going in-depth is a good idea for each class

how about just ask the kids what they wanna learn about tech and teach them the top 3 answers

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

So much ^this, cannot stress that enough. If they're interested and attentive, you'll set an awesome precedent for all of them.

as i said before, let them build the pc, but as other people had said teach them what each part does and how it contributes to the full pc, then at the end do the build as the "experiment"/ "project" and that should be a well rounded lesson 

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

Don't spend the entire year on programming, that is what my computer (not)science teacher is doing FOR THE ENTIRE FREAKING YEAR. 

Your idea to intro them to PC components is great! You should go with that. It should captivate their interest (it captivates mine, and I'm 14, btw).

ya i got very interested in tech and pc building when i was in grade 9 so i was about 13, i watched one of linus`s videos and i wanted to instantly build one, i held off and constantly watched tech vids from all the popular youtubers and got quite the bit of knowledge and once i built my pc a yer ago its still hard to just leave it alone, i always tweak stuff, try different oc`s see how it effects performance in games, which games like overclocks and which absolutely hate them ( gta being one of them) and so one and from pc ive expanded to phones a bit, monitors, just general tech

its quite addicting once you get going

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Good idea on finding cheap, used components.  Any suggestion on where to look?   Craigslist is a no go where I am....out in the middle of nowhere. lol

Don't spend the entire year on programming, that is what my computer (not)science teacher is doing FOR THE ENTIRE FREAKING YEAR. 

Yeah don't worry....  I barely know anything about it myself.  So at the very least I plan on just scratching the surface....basically "programming exists.  There are multiple different programming languages.  The end."  lol

ya i got very interested in tech and pc building when i was in grade 9 so i was about 13, i watched one of linus`s videos and i wanted to instantly build one, i held off and constantly watched tech vids from all the popular youtubers and got quite the bit of knowledge and once i built my pc a yer ago its still hard to just leave it alone, i always tweak stuff, try different oc`s see how it effects performance in games, which games like overclocks and which absolutely hate them ( gta being one of them) and so one and from pc ive expanded to phones a bit, monitors, just general tech

True that! The first PC build I saw was Austin's 2014 500 buck build. I gave up for a while, and then I started watching Linus and now I'm hooked again, though I've still to build my own PC

Truth

True that! The first PC build I saw was Austin's 2014 500 buck build. I gave up for a while, and then I started watching Linus and now I'm hooked again, though I've still to build my own PC

the video that started me was linuses how to build a better 1500$ GAMING PC  

wow just realized it been two years already, how the time flies...
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

the video that started me was linuses how to build a better 1500$ GAMING PC  

wow just realized it been two years already, how the time flies...

I've been meaning to watch that one....

I've been meaning to watch that one....

just because that video is so iconic to my tech knowledge i constantly feel like buying the cooler master storm case, theres just something about it,

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Good idea on finding cheap, used components.  Any suggestion on where to look?   Craigslist is a no go where I am....out in the middle of nowhere. lol

what country are you in ?

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Yeah... What he said!

The U.S.   Specifically the northeastern part of the country.

The U.S. Specifically the northeastern part of the country.

ebay would probably be best then, not to sure since I'm in Canada so if there's a local classifieds site look on that for local stuff also
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

ebay would probably be best then, not to sure since I'm in Canada so if there's a local classifieds site look on that for local stuff also

We've actually got a locally published paper that's essentially Craigslist in physical form...only its been around much longer.  I occasionally glance in there for stuff, but to no avail.  I'm just not in a good location for used PC parts...let alone any PC parts :P

Ebay it will have to be!  That is if I commit to teaching the course...  I haven't gotten that far yet. lol

We've actually got a locally published paper that's essentially Craigslist in physical form...only its been around much longer. I occasionally glance in there for stuff, but to no avail. I'm just not in a good location for used PC parts...let alone any PC parts :P

Ebay it will have to be! That is if I commit to teaching the course... I haven't gotten that far yet. lol

lol ok, let us know how it goes if you do
Spoiler

and a car thread !