Over-ears for on-the-go /AKG 545 / 550 / 845 ?

Hi @ all,

I am currently searching for a closed-back headphone, for both at home and on the go use. I already own a pair of open back Sennheiser HD558, which I really like. Yet, they are nothing for "on the go" and even though I really like more neutral headphones, for some genres, the could be a bit more punch in the low end (Not Beats by Dre level of punch, more like "notably present bass").

I once tried the AKG 550 (which are currently at their end of life I guess, 'cause you can get them dirt-cheap). Yet there is also the AKG 545 (which seem to be the same sound-wise, but foldable and witch a shorter cable) and the AKG 845 (which seems similar to the 545, but with bluetooth).

My questions:

• Has anybody any experience with the headphones mentioned above (and can confirm that they are the same or similar comparing their sound)
  • There 845 are Bluetooth 3.0, so no BT 4.0 LE. I have never owned any wireless headphones. How bad is the loss in audio quality and can it be negligible, taking into account that on the go music will be from Spotify anyway and there is probably some background noise, so things don't need to be as crystal? What about additional powerdraw on the phone (regarding its not the  Low Energy standard)

And finally: besides above questions, what are your personal recommendations for portable over-ear headphones (bluetooth or not) in the max. 200-ish area?

Best regards and thanks for any insight

Chris

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

The 545 will definitely be an on ear, it looks like. I have the k553, and I'm quite enjoying them. They are pretty decent sounding, but akg is definitely the wrong brand if you want to have bass.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The 545 will definitely be an on ear, it looks like. I have the k553, and I'm quite enjoying them. They are pretty decent sounding, but akg is definitely the wrong brand if you want to have bass.

I am pretty sure, the 545 are around ear. Well, no, I don't want earth shattering bass, but there should be some.

Do you mean the new 553 pro? I've only seen them on mass drop or American sites, I've no clue when or even if they go on sale on Europe. Kinda sad that a German manufacturer debuts products in the states... [emoji25]

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302