Qiestoion for mac users

SwiftXShadow

I dont use mac and probably never will. (tryed it once, didnt like the interface, much like with windows 8 start button)

So i want to know streight from the guys who use mac.

Now i know mac is flat out better for working with photos,videos,music, but it is crap for gaming.

I am awear that a mac user can just make a virtual machine and put windows on it and then play games on that.

My question is what kind of downsides and problems do you mac users experience when trying to game on a mac.

I am not looking for answers that try to idolise mac or try to fight windows, i want to know what kind of problems and issues do you as a mac user face when gaming.

Dont try to tell me "we dont have issues" because even windows users where most games are designed to be played on have a TON of issues, all the time.

I dont use mac and probably never will. (tryed it once,

Trying it once is not enough, it takes time to learn the OS and understand its benefits (and weaknesses) 

Macs are not necessarily "flat out better for music photos and music" though they do have strengths in that area mostly due to the software that is made for OSX

Gaming on OSX is fine - There is a version of Steam for OSX and you can install games from the app store (which also has full pc games on it)

Or you can dual boot with windows and run windows exactly the same as you would on a Windows pc - its no different

the only reason macs are "not for gaming" is because they do not have gaming grade hardware such as high end GPUs etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I dont use mac and probably never will. (tryed it once, didnt like the interface, much like with windows 8 start button)

Now i know mac is flat out better for working with photos,videos,music, but is crap for gaming.

I am awear that a mac user can just make a virtual machine and put windows on it and then play games on that.

My question is what kind of downsides and problems do you mac users experience when trying to game on a mac.

I am not looking for answers that try to idolise mac or try to fight windows, i want to know what kind of problems and issues do you as a mac user face when gaming.

Dont try to tell me "we dont have issues" because even windows users where most games are designed to be played on have a TON of issues, all the time.

Objectively, the grammar in this is terrible. There's a spell check available for you, just right-click and click on the proper spelling. 

I think this maybe a troll wanting to start a flamewar.

Mac isn't better for video, photo or music editing, it is the same.

Also Mac will also game fine, there isn't magic powers that makes it shit for gaming but good for editing.

The main downside to macs is the program support, purely because PC's are more popular.

Objectively, the grammar in this is terrible. There's a spell check available for you, just right-click and click on the proper spelling. 

You got a problem that i haven't added ' to words like "don't" or got a problem with me writing "i" isntead of "I" or that i wrote "aware" wrong? That is pretty weak to start complaining over.

Also Mac will also game fine, there isn't magic powers that makes it shit for gaming but good for editing.

The main downside to macs is the program support, purely because PC's are more popular.

All photo, video and music files are in their RAW form in mac. When you use a windows, then they are converted to a form that windows accepts which makes it less optimal. Since most editors pref mac, then most of the best editing software is made for mac first and windows second, if at all for windows.

If your ignorent about mac then dont call out others who actually learn this stuff and use it in their daily work.

Meanwhile most games are made first for windows because it is far more popular and second to mac if at all, which makes mac crap for gaming, but mac users have found ways around it like virtual machines.

All photo, video and music files are in their RAW form in mac. When you use a windows they are converted to a form that windows accepts which makes it less optimal. Since most editors pref mac, then most of the best editing software is made for mac first and windows second if at all.

that is 100% not true, "photos videos and music are in RAW form on OSX" ?? What? 

my files are in whatever format they were recorded in, Prores HQ video on my PC and ARW for my photos which is Sony RAW

There is 0 difference in how OSX and Windows handles these files - especially if you are using Adobe CC which is almost identical between the two platforms

OSX DOES have some great software for it, that is not on PC, (video and music software) but a lot of it is on PC these days, and a lot of editors are moving to PC

(to clarify I am a big lover of OSX and Macs)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You got a problem that i haven't added ' to words like "don't" or got a problem with me writing "i" isntead of "I" or that i wrote "aware" wrong? That is pretty weak to start complaining over.

Or you could simply spell things correctly? Dude, there's no excuse you have a spell checker built in - use it. I understand what you're saying but these are just minuscule mistakes considering (again) you have a built in spell checker. 

that is 100% not true, "photos videos and music are in RAW form on OSX" ?? What? 

my files are in whatever format they were recorded in, Prores HQ video on my PC and ARW for my photos which is Sony RAW

There is 0 difference in how OSX and Windows handles these files - especially if you are using Adobe CC which is almost identical between the two platforms

OSX DOES have some great software for it, that is not on PC, (video and music software) but a lot of it is on PC these days, and a lot of editors are moving to PC

(to clarify I am a big lover of OSX and Macs)

I am not talking about the layer of format you save it as, but something far more basic and simpler.

Much like if one person could say that a simple picture is in its basic form when you just open it unedited, while i will say it's basic form is a whole ton of ones and zeroes "1111111110000000000000"

just because you do that a lot pew pew and mc support is much better

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

I am not talking about the layer of format you save it as, but something far more basic and simpler.

Much like if one person could say that a simple picture is in its basic form when you just open it unedited, while i will say it's basic form is a whole ton of ones and zeroes "1111111110000000000000"

not sure I follow

I know finder handles RAW better, (not everything though) but you can install patches that lets windows see RAW files just fine, I have one from Sony so that I can open and look through my RAW files in explorer not just lightroom

just because you do that a lot pew pew and mc support is much better

????

I don't know what you are saying.

What I am saying is.

If you were a programmer, would you write a program that works on a platform that most people use or would you release it on a smaller platform that fewer people use?

????

I don't know what you are saying.

What I am saying is.

If you were a programmer, would you write a program that works on a platform that most people use or would you release it on a smaller platform that fewer people use?

Most photo,video and music creators/editors use MAC not windows.

For programming linux. (Even tho mac was devoleped out of a linux branch)

and everything else windows

Now i know mac is flat out better for working with photos,videos,music, but it is crap for gaming.

Bit in bold is totally not true :P 

If I game on my mac, I'm limited to source games on intel 4000 graphics. It actually performs really well seeing as it's only pushing 1300x900 ish pixels. Using steam though, so literally no issues other than fewer games being available on the mac

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

not sure I follow

I know finder handles RAW better, (not everything though) but you can install patches that lets windows see RAW files just fine, I have one from Sony so that I can open and look through my RAW files in explorer not just lightroom

Exactly you install something that converts a file into something that the WINDOWS can read. In other words, changes the algorithms windows uses to open, read and edit a file.

Meanwhile a mac dosnt need to do that which makes a mac FASTER at doing all music,photo,music editing/creating stuff. I am sure there are other advantices something like that also provides but i don't know what they are.

Another example would be CoreAudio vs ASIO and VST support

Also software that doesnt bother to exist on windows, like Logic Pro 

But dont expect people here to follow you on that line since this forum is full of Wincrap elitists and Apple haters

BUT BUT MUH REGISTRY ERRORS

Exactly you install something that converts a file into something that the WINDOWS can read. In other words, changes the algorithms windows uses to open, read and edit a file.

Meanwhile a mac dosnt need to do that which makes a mac FASTER at doing all music,photo,music editing/creating stuff. I am sure there are other advantices something like that also provides but i don't know what they are.

Huh? its just a codec pack so windows can understand the file - because microsoft put no work into the native photo viewer, but I litereally never use it

my photos get imported into lightroom (just like somebody would import into apple photos or lighroom on a mac)

its literally No different

In all seriousness, as a person who has debated this exact topic in person with diehard Mac users, asking this question online will yield you exactly nothing.

"Better" is different from "Better/easier for me"

In my experience, I am astonished at how well the Macbook Air handles games. This is coming from a primarily Windows poweruser.

Coming from that same poweruser: Unless you want a laptop, Build your own computer.

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Posts that won the internet - Verticle Mice 

Huh? its just a codec pack so windows can understand the file - because microsoft put no work into the native photo viewer, but I litereally never use it

my photos get imported into lightroom (just like somebody would import into apple photos or lighroom on a mac)

its literally No different

Why am i arguing with you about this.

You like mac and are trying to say it isnt better for it.

I dont like mac and am trying to defend it saying it is better for design.

Why am i arguing with you about this.

You like mac and are trying to say it isnt better for it.

I dont like mac and am trying to defend it saying it is better for design.

I love OSX as an OS and I love macs for the build quality and design, and for what they are for they are great, I might even be getting a 15" retina soon (maybe)

BUT, these days they are not better for design or editing, its just not true anymore, since I can run full Adobe CC just the same on my PC as well as a myriad of other design, music, photography and CAD software all on windows OSX really doesn't do anything special anymore

If somebody wants to edit 4k video in Premier, honestly it works the same on both platforms, arguably better on PC since you can get better hardware for the same money

I love OSX as an OS and I love macs for the build quality and design, and for what they are for they are great, I might even be getting a 15" retina soon (maybe)

BUT, these days they are not better for design or editing, its just not true anymore, since I can run full Adobe CC just the same on my PC as well as a myriad of other design, music, photography and CAD software all on windows OSX really doesn't do anything special anymore

If somebody wants to edit 4k video in Premier, honestly it works the same on both platforms, arguably better on PC since you can get better hardware for the same money

Ok forgetting the previous stuff.

What about most and some of the best (not all) software for design is devoleped for mac first and windows second if at all for windows.

Ok forgetting the previous stuff.

What about most and some of the best (not all) software for design is devoleped for mac first and windows second if at all for windows.

That is seeing a shift these days tbh, and its normally very niche specific software

Also that doesn't make OSX superior, just like a PS4 exclusive doesn't make the PS4 a better piece of equipment, you are just being forced to buy it for that piece of software

Just like games play fine on OSX, but half of the games on steam are not there - so its a terrible gaming platform

That is seeing a shift these days tbh, and its normally very niche specific software

Also that doesn't make OSX superior, just like a PS4 exclusive doesn't make the PS4 a better piece of equipment, you are just being forced to buy it for that piece of software

Just like games play fine on OSX, but half of the games on steam are not there - so its a terrible gaming platform

What on earth for would you use mac over a windows then, what does mac offer that windows dosnt?

What on earth for would you use mac over a windows then, what does mac offer that windows dosnt?

I prefer OSX, I prefer the build quality, and crazy long battery life, amazing displays that do not suffer horrible scaling like windows does, the sexy sexy trackpad, integration with my iPhone and iPad

OS X is not Linux,

Linux is not OS X.

Linux is Unix based.

NeXT Step was Unix based.

NeXT was bought by apple, and their OS was re-skinned and watered down, now it is called OS X and doesn't have much to do with Unix (Like Windows Me and MS Dos)

I prefer OSX, I prefer the build quality, and crazy long battery life, amazing displays that do not suffer horrible scaling like windows does, the sexy sexy trackpad, integration with my iPhone and iPad

anything else that isn't style? Like how you said battery life .