Music in third world country

Verang

Hey guys,

I am doing a project in school to help design (but not yet implement) a small system to bring music to about 16 rooms in a hospital in Fiji, one or two being much bigger than the others. The internet there is a 1/1 connection when it isn't being used. Ethernet is not setup anywhere but in one room but we are allowed to run wiring for the project. Wifi is only in that one section of the hospital so we would need to extend it if we wanted to use it. We are NOT going for the best audio experience. We are just trying to allow patients there to listen to some music.

Anyways, project specifications say that we need to find a cheap solution to just allow them to play different music in the different room, budget being a donation of $3000 USD from the client herself. The setup will have to be bolted down due to fear of theft/earthquakes. Preferably, the client proposed using one laptop to control individual streams throughout the hospital, but the only feasible solution to using one device my group came up with from researching is SONOS which is out of budget.

Disregarding the one device setup, we also proposed using a single speaker to a single ipod. However, they have told us that they are too flashy and may be broken/stolen within a few days even when bolted. They have considered purchasing old laptops however (beats me why these wouldn't really get stolen either).

I believe a NAS/local setup is something they don't want (so CDs are out) though it may be the solution we are looking for if they allow downloading music from say youtube (but legal free sites). I also believe radios may be out of the question since they are usually news broadcasts. They are allowed to use "Slacker" (something like pandora/spotify), although she is giving mixed signals on this. For the project, we are just assuming "Slacker" is the solution and will confirm with her.

I have looked at chromecast audio but there are some issues with setting up things with an ethernet adapter and also having the caretakers' phone connected to wifi to control it.

Summary:

Need audio setup to 16 rooms - doesn't need to be best sounding

Need to be bolted down

Budget is $3000 - need to buy all equipment and also ship it to Fiji

Internet is slow and not up everywhere - allowed to run wiring though

Ipods too flashy

Proposals:

Ipods to speaker

Old laptops to speakers

Chromecast audios to speakers

Not being very informed in the audio world, does the setup (one speaker and one device) need a reciever or will it work with these alone?

Do you guys have any viable solutions/suggestions to either the one speaker/one device setup or the one device/all speakers setup? You can try to persuade me one of the existing solutions besides the ipods.

There are cheaper devices like the chrome cast audio and muzo cobblestone

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

What about a Raspberry Pi?  It's certainly harder to make work than Chromecasts, but it will not rely on the Internet and maintain ability to play, and store music with the appropriate storage device.  (USB or MicroSD)

There is a fair chance that the Raspberry pi would be missed by a thief due to it's tiny size, and if it is stolen it costs significantly less than a laptop or ipod.

I don't know about VLC on the pi, but you can use VLC to host-stream music locally and it can also play music that is being streamed. 
Speakers, Since it doesn't matter much, as long as they make noise.

There is no reason to use tons of Ipods or laptops if it's unnecessary to.  (although, the old laptop idea would be work well since they have DVD drives, can run VLC with Linux, and use the internet if you feel a need or the place is upgraded to allow that.  Just use a light version of Linux if it's too slow.)

Whatever you do, I'd highly recommend downloading the files since I can assume the connection is not perfect and will easily be used up.  You don't want to waste the limited amount of it on streaming songs.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Have you tried contacting sonos? It's clearly a project for a good cause, so they may be able to provide you with some of their speakers for your budget.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

snip

Interesting project, let me think about it.

This sounds similar to the entertainment service available on flights, where each seat can select whatever they want to watch or listen, as long as it's available on the flight's central server.

Just to make sure I understand the gist of it:

So basically you want, for example, if there were at least one person in each room they can select which types of music they want to listen to?  You are not doing a global broadcast where you simply install speakers in each room and everyone listens to the same music.

For the moment I assume that you would need a central server with storage for a lot of music files unless you want people to access music available on the Internet.  And each room would need some device+speakers/headphone jacks for people to select or even create their own playlists from all the music available.

I wonder if setting up something like an Internet (or local network) radio station(s) would also be a viable alternative.

Can you clarify about Ethernet and Wifi availability in the hospital?  And are you sure they would want to install Wifi in a hospital, as there might be concerns that Wifi signals could interfere with hospital equipment.

EDIT: Here's my proposal.

• Central PC that will act as a media server, with storage containing music files or providing Internet access
  • Cheap Android tablets (Amazon has some listed for like $40 a piece), with Ethernet adapters+cables (not connect to media server via wifi)
  • Or install the music files onto memory cards on each tablet, which would negate the need for a media server
  • Each tablet connected to speakers
  • Each tablet can be perhaps placed inside a fixed stand/case so that people can access the touch screen but cannot remove the devices

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

are you wanting
a speaker system through a building of 16 rooms playing the same songs
or
each room having a different song which the patient in the room has chosen to play.

The Dick of the audio page!

I also need the size of each room
distance between each room
Actually just get a floor plan of the hole place.
what kind of power is available? Is there power plugs all around which you can use or is it going to have to be a passively powered systems or a 100V Line?
Also what is the ceiling made of?

The most expensive thing will be shipping and cabling.

@@Weak1ings: The only issue is that this proposal has to be easy enough for someone in the hospital staff in Fiji to setup themselves, which means intuitive, instead of having to look things up. The group will not be traveling there and setting it up.

@@ALwin: you have it exactly right. 

@@EndlessOyster: Each room will have be playing different songs.

The only issue with tablets is that the client thinks that these, along with ipods, look too fancy and modern for the third world and will run a higher risk of getting stolen or damages.

These are the following implementations that seem viable to me and that the client will most likely approve:

1. Multiple old laptops with loaded music on them playing through vlc or some other software

2. Multiple old laptops with a central NAS or storage option - requires wiring of ethernet
3. Possible, but not guaranteed working or approved solution, is the chromecast audio setup - requires wiring and wireless for the devices that are playing the music 

@@Weakl1ngs: The only issue is that this proposal has to be easy enough for someone in the hospital staff in Fiji to setup themselves, which means intuitive, instead of having to look things up. The group will not be traveling there and setting it up.

@@ALwin: you have it exactly right. 

The only issue with tablets is that the client thinks that these, along with ipods, look too fancy and modern for the third world and will run a higher risk of getting stolen or damages.

These are the following implementations that seem viable to me and that the client will most likely approve:

1. Multiple old laptops with loaded music on them playing through vlc or some other software

2. Multiple old laptops with a central NAS or storage option - requires wiring of ethernet

3. Possible, but not guaranteed working or approved solution, is the chromecast audio setup - requires wiring and wireless for the devices that are playing the music 

Well I am not sure if you can get old laptops cheaply, especially when you are considering buying around 16 of them and your budget is $3000.  Additionally old second hand laptops will have a higher chance of breaking down.

This is one of the reasons I suggested a cheap Android based or some OS based tablet, brand new can be purchased for under $100 each, they might quite possibly be some unpopular Chinese brand.  They can be placed inside a wall mounted secure case or swivel stand next to a hospital bed.

I don't know if you recall, there is this project called One Laptop Per Child.  They first started out by trying to design and manufacture a $100-200 laptop that can be sold/donated to children in developing countries.  Now I guess they are going "tablet".

http://one.laptop.org/

There really isn't a perfect thief-proof solution.  The hospital that receives the solution would have to be responsible for the safety and security of any solution you provide.

Here is a $30 tablet on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Prontotec-Version-Processor-G-sensor-Pre-loaded/dp/B00MB8GBN4/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447023847&sr=1-10&keywords=android+tablet

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

There is no official floor plan, but she did tell us that there is a 120 feet long building and a 180 feet long building (2 building hospital).

I have no idea on the electricity, I just know that they have some.

snip

Also keep in mind that it is a hospital, perhaps they might prefer patients use headphones instead of speakers to avoid disturbing other patients.

Have you tried contacting sonos? It's clearly a project for a good cause, so they may be able to provide you with some of their speakers for your budget.

This is not a community project, just a quarter long class project for my group due in a few weeks. Plus it's more of a design rather than actual implementation. So basically, we are shooting ideas not actually buying anything for her.

Also keep in mind that it is a hospital, perhaps they might prefer patients use headphones instead of speakers to avoid disturbing other patients.

I was also thinking of this solution 

There are cheaper devices like the chrome cast audio and muzo cobblestone

I will look into the muzo

I was also thinking of this solution 

Yeah, and hospital staff will need to be able to hear any alarms from any of the equipment being used to monitor a patient.  You certainly do not want excessive noise interfering with the day to day operations of the hospital and medical treatment of the patients.

Oh and if it's your teacher or whoever is in charge of assigning you the project is claiming an iPod or Tablet is fancy, tell them these days NO solution is TOO FANCY.  Tablets are everywhere now.  A practical solution has to take precedence over what she feels.

You had to say that didnt you, this be a cake walk if it was one central system playing music into 16 different rooms.

You had to say that didnt you, this be a cake walk if it was one central system playing music into 16 different rooms.

The OP said

"we need to find a cheap solution to just allow them to play different music in the different room,"

So no cookie for you.

@Paul_Hoang

If this project ever comes into fruition, make sure you get the credit you deserve for it. And if you implement the solution I suggested, I will be expecting credit for my proposal. :D  I'll be generous and only ask for my name being mentioned as one of the solution designers.

The OP said

"we need to find a cheap solution to just allow them to play different music in the different room,"

So no cookie for you.

Sadly cheap and bolt down doesn't normally go hand in hand so im stumped on this.

A professional install kit which can be attached into ceilings bolted on to walls for 16 different rooms playing different things is stupid money.

Surely just a speaker then with a jack input by the side of them with some device with music on.

Right it probably over price this for 16 rooms but its the cheapest thing I know which can be bolted, but its not like you can just unscrew the bolt.
Right the JBL Control 2p has a wall mounting systems and can take a jack input
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127759-REG/jbl_c2pm_control_2p_powered.html
Screw that to the wall and find a power socket.
Next take a jack cable ram it in the speaker then ram it up what ever cheap mp3 player you can think of.

Right it probably over price this for 16 rooms but its the cheapest thing I know which can be bolted, but its not like you can just unscrew the bolt.

Right the JBL Control 2p has a wall mounting systems and can take a jack input

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127759-REG/jbl_c2pm_control_2p_powered.html

Screw that to the wall and find a power socket.

Next take a jack cable ram it in the speaker then ram it up what ever cheap mp3 player you can think of.

Looks pretty good. I will discuss this with the group.

Although it could be ghetto and just use some hinges and screws. Although this is a separate issue as this there are concrete walls, although she wasn't specific on if it was purely made of concrete walls or if it was just the outer structure.

@Paul_Hoang

If this project ever comes into fruition, make sure you get the credit you deserve for it. And if you implement the solution I suggested, I will be expecting credit for my proposal. :D  I'll be generous and only ask for my name being mentioned as one of the solution designers.

Don't worry, I am documenting everything and everyone in a journal (it's a part of the rubric). 

Thanks for all the proposals guys, I might come back and post you on what the final solution came out to be :)

You can have multiple instances of VLC running the streaming over the LAN so it could be a "channel" system.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Don't worry, I am documenting everything and everyone in a journal (it's a part of the rubric). 

Thanks for all the proposals guys, I might come back and post you on what the final solution came out to be :)

By the way, here is another argument for using cheap tablets like the ones I suggested.

• ​Patients who are staying in a hospital may get bored and music may not be the only entertainment they require.  The tablet could be loaded with reading material, or other forms of entertainment like games.  If the tablets are connected to a central server and have access to internet perhaps they can also be used by patients to communicate with their relatives and friends (email or Skype comes to mind).

I come from a certain country in SE Asia which until a few years ago was ruled by a Military Junta.  Since the country opened up a few years ago every time I go back to visit my family, and do freelance work to photograph and film, I see people of all ages using (even cheap Chinese knock off smart phones) accessing the Internet with their mobile devices.  We are talking a country where people might earn something like $3-5 dollars a day.  I've even seen people using small to medium sized tablets on the streets, using them as phones.

This is one of the reasons why I don't really consider something like a tablet to be "fancy" as the person who is running your projects claim.

By the way, here is another argument for using cheap tablets like the ones I suggested.

• ​Patients who are staying in a hospital may get bored and music may not be the only entertainment they require.  The tablet could be loaded with reading material, or other forms of entertainment like games.  If the tablets are connected to a central server and have access to internet perhaps they can also be used by patients to communicate with their relatives and friends (email or Skype comes to mind).

I come from a certain country in SE Asia which until a few years ago was ruled by a Military Junta.  Since the country opened up a few years ago every time I go back to visit my family, and do freelance work to photograph and film, I see people of all ages using (even cheap Chinese knock off smart phones) accessing the Internet with their mobile devices.  We are talking a country where people might earn something like $3-5 dollars a day.  I've even seen people using small to medium sized tablets on the streets, using them as phones.

This is one of the reasons why I don't really consider something like a tablet to be "fancy" as the person who is running your projects claim.

It's a matter of perspective I suppose. My groupmates met up with her today and one of the questions we had for her regarded why laptops wouldn't have been stolen as compared to ipods. I couldn't go but will be filled in sometime this week.

We will try to persuade her but we have to remember that the donation money is her's and she has the final say in how it is used.