If I upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for 40 dollars will I be able to change my motherboard?

TheFaddler12

So currently in my machine I have been running it on the same motherboard that my old prebuilt Gateway system came with. It's a terrible acer OEM board, but I'm worried about changing it. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, but because it came with the machine I dont have the install disc. Does upgrading my license of an OEM copy of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro through the $40 upgrade package does it mean that I will be able to change my motherboard? Or should I bite the bullet and save up another month or so and just get a new copy of windows and a new motherboard? Plan on upgrading because this board is having all types of compatibility issues with my SLI and I'm sure it's because its not certified.

Just upgrading to Windows 8 wont get ride of all the old drivers youll need a freash install so here are the steps that should help you with that

Step 1:ok if you still have the case that the Gateway came in or maybe even the documentation you should be able to find the CD-key for your windows 7 copy it's usually a sticker of some type (if you cant find your case or documentation you can download a program that will find your CD-key in your current installation of windows 7 once you write that down you can do the fresh install of windows with out having to buy Windows 8)

Step 2: find a copy of windows 7 online and burn that to a CD (if you don't have a CD drive or CDs you can do the fresh install using a USB Im not 100% on how to do that)

Step 3: once you have that you can install your new Motherboard and do a fresh install of Windows 7 (make sure you back up all your files)

hope this helps if you have any questions I might be able to help

Edit: yeah mission is right :P

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Alright, Ill give it a shot! I was planning on completely formatting my hard drive anyways so thanks!

You might want to try and instal the os from scratch.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Windows 8 Upgrade follows the retail license. So you can transfer your Windows 8 to your new motherboard. A phone activation might be required, but it will work.

Even if you have a OEM/System Builder license, you can transfer your license if your motherboard doesn't work correctly (broken). In such case, a phone activate will be required, but its fine.