Prebuilt vs DIY

So I've never water cooled before. I really want to. I've been looking on Newegg at the prebuilt systems, and it looks like its just a radiator with tubing connected to the CPU block. The pump is either built into the radiator or block, am I correct? Because they all say that they come prefilled.

Aren't you supposed to cool the chipset as well? I've seen many systems where the CPU, chipset, and GPU all get cooled. Even the DIY kits I've seen only cool the CPU. Would only cooling the CPU be feasible? Do I buy a prebuilt kit to cool the CPU and another to cool the GPU? Any help would be appreciated, because I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Make your own system and get a AIO cooler to cool it.

Most of the time you only liquid cool the CPU, you can get blocks for your GPU, they cost around $70 and very few motherboard support liquid cooling the VRM and chipsets.

So I've never water cooled before. I really want to. I've been looking on Newegg at the prebuilt systems, and it looks like its just a radiator with tubing connected to the CPU block. The pump is either built into the radiator or block, am I correct? Because they all say that they come prefilled.

Aren't you supposed to cool the chipset as well? I've seen many systems where the CPU, chipset, and GPU all get cooled. Even the DIY kits I've seen only cool the CPU. Would only cooling the CPU be feasible? Do I buy a prebuilt kit to cool the CPU and another to cool the GPU? Any help would be appreciated, because I have no idea what I'm looking for.

What's your budget and are you open to building your own?

Budget not really an issue as I can buy parts as needed. Just no crazy high number. I wouldn't mind building my own as long as I had some clear instructions. Also, I want it to look neat, so if it is DIY, nothing janky.

Budget not really an issue as I can buy parts as needed. Just no crazy high number. I wouldn't mind building my own as long as I had some clear instructions. Also, I want it to look neat, so if it is DIY, nothing janky.

Throw a number out there.. We need a base line.

Around 350 I would be comfortable with.

Get an H110i GTX (Corsair), with Noctua NF-A14 (140mm, 3,000 RPM Industrial PWM fans).

Total: $220ish

CPU temps: Chillyyyy.

i7 6700k // H110i GTX, 4xNoctua 140mm Industrial 3k // Asus Z170 Pro Gaming // 8GB 2400mhz // MSI GTX 970 // Enthoo Pro M

Get an H110i GTX (Corsair), with Noctua NF-A14 (140mm, 3,000 RPM Industrial PWM fans).

I can't tell if he's talking about just water cooling, or a whole system

Not the 3,000rpm version. The BIOS may not be able to lower the fan speed to an acceptable level. 2,000rpm is more than enough. How many people can bear the noise of two fans spinning at more than 2,000rpm?

Custom water cooling your CPU/VRMs/GPU will be way over $500 alone.

I really want to. I've been looking on Newegg at the prebuilt systems, and it looks like its just a radiator with tubing connected to the CPU block. The pump is either built into the radiator or block, am I correct? Because they all say that they come prefilled.

Would only cooling the CPU be feasible? Do I buy a prebuilt kit to cool the CPU and another to cool the GPU? Any help would be appreciated, because I have no idea what I'm looking for.

I can't tell if he's talking about just water cooling, or a whole system

Well, he asks if only cooling the CPU would be feasible. 

Answer is yes. Yes there are separate AIO radiator kits you can use for your GPUs with water blocks designed to screw onto the card as well, with a separate radiator. I've never seen my GPU get above 55c(and that blew my mind, room heaters on though, it's usually a steady 22-35 while gaming). VRM never above 39c.  So it entirely depends on his temps.  He should check the suggested limits on each of his components and compare.  If they're within 20c of the caution zone, I'd say sure, probably start investing in a longer loop for everything, though this of course opens the door to ridiculous leak chance.

Not the 3,000rpm version. The BIOS may not be able to lower the fan speed to a acceptable level. 2,000rpm is more than enough. How many people can bear the noise of two 2000+rpm fans?

True. I've got two of them on a radiator, the air screams as it's force out of the way past 2700 rpm.  At 2000 rpm it's entirely tolerable. :) It's actually a very good movie fan mode.  1800 rpm, nearly silent, for my tastes.  Then again, all my fans are at 100% right now. :P headphones.

because I have no idea what I'm looking for.

What is your current setup? Give us all the specs, case, power supply, current fans and your tolerance for loud fans.  Does your motherboard support PWM?

i7 6700k // H110i GTX, 4xNoctua 140mm Industrial 3k // Asus Z170 Pro Gaming // 8GB 2400mhz // MSI GTX 970 // Enthoo Pro M

True. I've got two of them on a radiator, the air screams as it's force out of the way past 2700 rpm.  At 2000 rpm it's entirely tolerable. :) It's actually a very good movie fan mode.  1800 rpm, nearly silent, for my tastes.  Then again, all my fans are at 100% right now. :P headphones.

I have the 2,000rpm version. I'd much prefer 1,100rpm max. I wear headphones, but they are open back.

Jesus, they push so much air already at 2,000rpm. Probably can take off at 3,000rpm.

I have the 2,000rpm version. I'd much prefer 1,100rpm max. I wear headphones, but they are open back.

I can dig it.  I've got these meh Razer krakens pros, so much bass my eyes vibrate when grenades go off :P took awhile to get used too. 

Yeah, I'm the type that loves the performance and really wanted to get the best to protect my 6700k.  Figured I'd get the 3k for the additional woosh if I really wanted/needed it.  I can run these at 500 rpms and they don't act funny, which I thought was pretty cool. 

I can dig it.  I've got these meh Razer krakens pros, so much bass my eyes vibrate when grenades go off :P took awhile to get used too. 

Yeah, I'm the type that loves the performance and really wanted to get the best to protect my 6700k.  Figured I'd get the 3k for the additional woosh if I really wanted/needed it.  I can run these at 500 rpms and they don't act funny, which I thought was pretty cool. 

Yeah, but the fan speed increase doesn't correlate well with decrease of CPU temp. From 1,100rpm to 2,000rpm, the CPU will only drop 5*C under stress test. I don't think you can drop the temp much further with 3,000rpm. You can hit the point of diminishing return somewhere. But the noise, oh my bad.

It just show the noise tolerance varies so much among people. I read someone anywhere above 500rpm for the NF-F12 is already too loud. While some can cope with 2,000+rpm. I used to run just one 240 rad for my 5820K. Now I add another 240 rad, so I can lower the fan speed from 1,150rpm max to 1,000rpm for more quiet operation.

I was only talking about the CPU basically. I just asked about VRM and GPU because I didn't know if that was common practice. If I can just get a prebuilt for the CPU only, that would be fine.

I can't tell you my temps right now, my motherboard gave out and I'm about to rebuild my system. That's why I wanted to know about cooling, so I could buy the parts.

I was only talking about the CPU basically. I just asked about VRM and GPU because I didn't know if that was common practice. If I can just get a prebuilt for the CPU only, that would be fine.

I can't tell you my temps right now, my motherboard gave out and I'm about to rebuild my system. That's why I wanted to know about cooling, so I could buy the parts.

DIY custom loop for CPU only, starts at around $300. A good AIO and two high quality static pressure fans will be <$200(AIO usually comes with crappy fans). Performance wise, they are very similar if the rad space are the same. You can add more radiator space and fans in custom loop, but the cost will be higher.

DIY custom loop for CPU only, starts at around $300. A good AIO and two high quality static pressure fans will be <$200(AIO usually comes with crappy fans). Performance wise, they are very similar if the rad space are the same. You can add more radiator space and fans in custom loop, but the cost will be higher.

I have an AMD FX-8350 black edition not OC'd. What about the Corsair H110i?

I have an AMD FX-8350 black edition not OC'd. What about the Corsair H110i?

AMD FX-8350 is not hard to cool, even OC. The H110i will handle it without breaking a sweat.