Looking IEM's Under $300 (pref. $250)

nicon

Hi there!

I'd rate myself as a "casual" audiophile. I have some Sennheiser Momentum On Ears, which (at the time) I thought were the best in the world because they beat my old Apple Ear-Pods. I use them with a FiiO E07k Andes w/ L7 dock for my PC or phone (micro-usb OTG cable). I also have some nice PC speakers and (used to) have a nice Klipsch home theater system.

I'm looking for a nice pair of IEM's for around $250 I've narrowed it down to

Shure Se215

Shure Se315 (no real benefit over 215's)

Shure Se425 (compare to Pro20)

Westone UM Pro20 (compare to 425's)

Heir Audio 3.Ai S

Now I know that the 425 will be better than the 315 and the 315 (I guess) better than the 215, but I'm looking for value here. I'm unhappy with my Momentums, because they are relatively uncomfortable, and distort/lose detail at low volumes (I listen to my headphones quiet so I can focus on writing papers and stuff). I also just want something really portable. I bought my momentums pretty much on release day, so i'm ready to try something new.

P.S. If none of these are going to be better than my Momentums, than let me know and I won't bother. Also the SE315's get iffy reviews on Amazon and don't seem to have that much value.

P.S.#2 I really am intrigued by the "clear" color monitors, extra points if any suggestion has a clear option.

Thanks alot!

Hi there!

I'd rate myself as a "casual" audiophile. I have some Sennheiser Momentum On Ears, which (at the time) I thought were the best in the world because they beat my old Apple Ear-Pods. I use them with a FiiO E07k Andes w/ L7 dock for my PC or phone (micro-usb OTG cable). I also have some nice PC speakers and (used to) have a nice Klipsch home theater system.

I'm looking for a nice pair of IEM's for around $250 I've narrowed it down to

Shure Se215

Shure Se315 (no real benefit over 215's)

Shure Se425 (compare to Pro20)

Westone UM Pro20 (compare to 425's)

Heir Audio 3.Ai S

Now I know that the 425 will be better than the 315 and the 315 (I guess) better than the 215, but I'm looking for value here. I'm unhappy with my Momentums, because they are relatively uncomfortable, and distort/lose detail at low volumes (I listen to my headphones quiet so I can focus on writing papers and stuff). I also just want something really portable. I bought my momentums pretty much on release day, so i'm ready to try something new.

P.S. If none of these are going to be better than my Momentums, than let me know and I won't bother. Also the SE315's get iffy reviews on Amazon and don't seem to have that much value.

P.S.#2 I really am intrigued by the "clear" color monitors, extra points if any suggestion has a clear option.

Thanks alot!

I LOVED the Shure SE425 when I had them. IMO, they are a better in ear than the SE535. So it's up to you, but my vote is for the SE425.

Edit:// The 315, by all reports, is not a very good in ear. You're much better off skipping it, and going for either the 215 or the 425. 425 still gets my vote, as it sound absolutely marvelous, imo, even compared to the 215, I think it represents a better value. Other than the Shures, though, I haven't actually listened to any of the other ones, so I couldn't tell you.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I LOVED the Shure SE425 when I had them. IMO, they are a better in ear than the SE535. So it's up to you, but my vote is for the SE425.

Edit:// The 315, by all reports, is not a very good in ear. You're much better off skipping it, and going for either the 215 or the 425. 425 still gets my vote, as it sound absolutely marvelous, imo, even compared to the 215, I think it represents a better value. Other than the Shures, though, I haven't actually listened to any of the other ones, so I couldn't tell you.

Thanks a lot. Let me think about it. I'll prob. buy them around black friday or maybe Christmas.

Sorry for the double post, but the thing I just can't get over is the price of the 425's. At $279 they are a full $100 ($170 at today's price) more than what I paid for my momentums. Do you think they will have better sound quality over my headphones to justify the $100 price difference. I might also sell my Momentums, they're in perfect condition.

Edit: I can find them on ebay for $200(used)-265(new).

Sorry for the double post, but the thing I just can't get over is the price of the 425's. At $279 they are a full $100 ($170 at today's price) more than what I paid for my momentums. Do you think they will have better sound quality over my headphones to justify the $100 price difference. I might also sell my Momentums, they're in perfect condition.

Edit: I can find them on ebay for $200(used)-265(new).

Imo, they are definitely worth the price difference. Selling your momentums to get them is not a bad plan either.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)