Graphics Card help

Waterspear65

Budget? if you're looking around $300-$350 id go with the 390 anything lower unless you can score a 970 for under$300 go for the 380

>300 : R9 390

<300 : R9 380

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

I want to build a computer and i am not sure which graphics card i should get? The gtx 970 or r9 390. Which will be better for modding and texture packs. I know the r9 has much more vram but nvidia has more developed divers, i am pretty sure.

Nvidia GTX 970.  It is close to the same performance (beats in in a good few catagories) and you get Nvidia's features.

An example is Fallout 4, you get Nvidia Gameworks and it runs like a champ at 60fps, the r9 390 has neither of them while running at 40fps-50fps average not in the cities, maybe around 55fps if your doing hardly anything.

Edited by Made In Canada

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

390, it has war more power than the 970 and beats it almost everywhere with a little overclocking

390, for modding you will benefit more from having that extra vram and you could easily overclock the 390 to the same speed if not higher than a 970. The only thing the 970 really beats the 390 in is the memory clock speed which you can overclock that as well to the same as a 970 stock. With modding though you will easily benefit from a 390 more than a 970. Despite the better drivers for nVidia.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

I would probably give the edge to AMD on this one, assuming you can live without NVIDIA's features, like GeForce Experience.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I would probably give the edge to AMD on this one, assuming you can live without NVIDIA's features, like GeForce Experience.

AMD has come out with their "geforce experience" 

AMD diehards... no explanation or reasoning.

I am a Nvidia supporter, But the 390 is more powerful than the 970...

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Depends on the game...  For Fallout 4, no way.  For Skyrim, i guess, but keep in mind they are still close and with one you get features.

-Made In Canada

How do you measure that power? Because if you have to wait for a driver to play a game as they release, then why have it? Drivers are the reason the 970 is more powerful that a Fury, and Nvidia is better with getting drivers out.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Thats a sapphire aircooled fury. The reference one beats everything except the 980 and 980ti

nvm

It depends on the senario...

They are still close either way.

Edited by Made In Canada

-Made In Canada

I really want to get fallout 4 so should i go with nvidia despite the r9s more vram

I have the 390 and have never used more than 4g of ram, and I purposely used every mod I could find in Skyrim trying to get above 4g to see what happened. That Vram means very little. Go with Nvidia if Fallout is important to you.

AMD has come out with their "geforce experience"

That's a while to go, though.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I really want to get fallout 4 so should i go with nvidia despite the r9s more vram

Yes!  If your getting Fallout 4, do yourself a favor and get the 970.  Anyone who advises amd for Fallout 4 right now either have not seen benchmarks on amd cards, or dont care about your rig playing Fallout 4.

-Made In Canada

which model of the r9 and gtx is the best and could i get a pros and cons list of those 2 best cards so that I can compare the specs for myself.

Thanks so much

390, Nitro or MSI

970, EVGA or Zotac

I have the 390 and have never used more than 4g of ram, and I purposely used every mod I could find in Skyrim trying to get above 4g to see what happened. That Vram means very little. Go with Nvidia if Fallout is important to you.

This!

is 3.5gb of vram enough for modding and txt packs?

Yes.

-Made In Canada