Need a second look.

d3sl91

22219911204_7ba30fd977_b.jpgEngrossed | Rocky Butte | PDX by Ethan Gollehon, on Flickr

So, I'm trying to understand the results I have here from earlier this evening. 

In this picture, I exposed for his face/front of post. I did not take as much time as I should have, which resulted in a few issues I see already (handheld 120mm at 1/100sec, Lower ISO if I dropped it to F4, Could have lowered even more if I walked a bit closer and therefore allowed myself a slower shutter speed). But, the light on the post is just, washed out. I'm not sure if they actually just replaced these lights with brighter-than-normal lights, which would explain part of it. 

But, does the super high ISO contribute as well? I shot this at 2000 ISO. I'm asking because, with my D5200, I would never go above 800/1000 because it would just grain out. So I don't have much experience with really high ISO and how it behaves. 

Or, I could just be really picky because of new gear....

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Or, I could just be really picky because of new gear....

You seem like someone who knows how to take a photo, so I would say you were being picky.  After all, you know what idea you had in your head when the photo was taken, what you imagined the final output would look like.  We don't.

The only thing I might adjust would be white balance, play around with different WB values.

EDIT: I do have another suggestion.  Next time, work the scene. Don't just settle for one photo (I'm sure you also took several versions of the above photo, but is sharing only the one you consider the best out of the lot).  Take several photos, see if another angle, or another framing (horizontal, vertical, tighter, wider, closer, further away, etc.) works.  Afterwards, come back here, post all those photos and then ask us to do a comparative review.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

It really depends what you want the person who see the pic to think of, as like @ALwin said we don't know what was running through your head, what was the main subject?