GPU in middle PCI-E slot?

Hemanse

Im trying to improve the airflow in my pc, i have a MSI R9 390 which is located in the top PCI-E slot on my MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming motherboard, but it is pretty much flush up against my NH-D14 CPU cooler, im thinking moving it down to the middle slot could help out a bit, but would that reduce performance of the card?

http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html#hero-overview 

Here is the motherboard in question.

I like my fans running pretty low rpm, so just as a test i set my fan curve to max out at 45%, when running benchmarks my card hit 84c at max load, i know its not alarmingly high. but its still on the high end, if i take off the side of my case tho, the temperature only maxes out at 73, which i guess tells me that i have some pretty terrible airflow, i kinda knew that already, since the drive cages in my current case blocks of the front.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Unless you're min/maxing your card's performance in benchmarks, you won't notice a difference.

I would think having it up top makes the fans get airflow over the back

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You should be fine as far as specs go, however; note that if you ever try to crossfire with that setup, you may run into issue. If not planning to crossfire, go for it, can't hurt to try something new.

EDIT: Also, post 2,999 rofl

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Im trying to improve the airflow in my pc, i have a MSI R9 390 which is located in the top PCI-E slot on my MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming motherboard, but it is pretty much flush up against my NH-D14 CPU cooler, im thinking moving it down to the middle slot could help out a bit, but would that reduce performance of the card?

http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html#hero-overview 

Here is the motherboard in question.

I like my fans running pretty low rpm, so just as a test i set my fan curve to max out at 45%, when running benchmarks my card hit 84c at max load, i know its not alarmingly high. but its still on the high end, if i take off the side of my case tho, the temperature only maxes out at 73, which i guess tells me that i have some pretty terrible airflow, i kinda knew that already, since the drive cages in my current case blocks of the front.

There will be no performance reduction but find out if the temps are better if you lower it

my rig ( fx-8370@ 4.6GHz / Nepton 240m/ msi 970 gaming / 16 Gb corsair xms / antec VP700P /  aerocool xpredator x1 white / costum rgb lights / r9 290 direct cu2 / 1 TB hhd/ sandisk 128gb ssd / adata SP900 128gb )

peripherals ( steelseries apex / sharkoon fireglider black / razer goliathus / lg25ub55 )

You should be fine as far as specs go, however; note that if you ever try to crossfire with that setup, you may run into issue. If not planning to crossfire, go for it, can't hurt to try something new.

I'm in crossfire using the top and middle slots, no issues.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Gratz, let's make it 3,000

I'm in crossfire using the top and middle slots, no issues.

Naw was talking about using a middle and bottom slot, since he wants to move it down to the middle for better airflow.

Gratz, let's make it 3,000

Aaaaaand, just did.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Naw was talking about using a middle and bottom slot, since he wants to move it down to the middle for better airflow.

Aaaaaand, just did.

Woot woot, let's have a party with my toaster pc. I'll bake you a cookie.

Aaaaaand, just did.

The bottom slot for me is unusable. Puts the GPU in contact with the PSU. Maybe if you used a waterblock you could use it.

I would think having it up top makes the fans get airflow over the back

I thought maybe not having 2 hot components next to each other might help out, but i guess you are also right, my best bet is to probably replace my case with something that can pull in cold air from the front, which my current case cant due to the great placement of the drive cages, what im basically thinking is that the NH-D14 and 390 are just curculating hot air inside my case that dont get taken care of right now, which i guess is shown when the temps drop by 15 with the side off :)

Okay, but nah i dont have plans for CF now or in the near future, i like sticking to 1 card to avoid CF and SLI issues ;)

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

just as long as its still x16 and not x8 or something

Should be x16, atleast the board is suppose to have 3x 16x.

Woot woot, let's have a party with my toaster pc. I'll bake you a cookie.

here's what want to know does a 690 and a over clocked 4790k produce more or less heat than a 5820k + dual 980tis

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Should be x16, atleast the board is suppose to have 3x 16x.

I don't think it would matter. My scores didn't change when it dropped to x8 when I installed the second card.

I don't think it would matter. My scores didn't change when it dropped to x8 when I installed the second card.

Okay, i guess there is no harm in trying, atleast switching GPU in and out is one of the easiest parts :)

Okay, i guess there is no harm in trying, atleast switching GPU in and out is one of the easiest parts :)

You get better at it each time. Took me 20min to install my 290 the first time. Now it takes me seconds. I do uninstall and re install the drivers each time. Probably overkill but it can't hurt.

You get better at it each time. Took me 20min to install my 290 the first time. Now it takes me seconds. I do uninstall and re install the drivers each time. Probably overkill but it can't hurt.

I like running DDU when switching GPUs in and out yeah, but atleast that is also quick, press a button and your done.

But i guess my best option is to just replace my case with a 450D, 750D, Enthoo Pro .. or something like that.

C70 is love, C70 is life.

Im a fan of the Enthoo Pro myself, seems to have good airflow, build really nice and at a nice price. Looked up the C70 tho, dont think its the case for me, but i gotta admit i like the review i found of it, not sure why  :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_XVLIoxYI

The C70 is a great case, I've had mine apart so many times I know every mm of it. But it has a VERY distinct style. Completely understand it it's not your thing.