Using dual power supply

Hello. enthusiastic PC users.

I'm about to configure dual power supply for my system for stabilizing power.

Obviously, current 1000W Power supply is not enough for my highly overclocked CPU with customize water cooling & 4-way SLI graphic cards. (It often loses power when I play game)

So, I bought an additional 1000w power supply (XFX) to support graphic cards.

I figured out connecting 2 ATX power lines (Green & Gray) provides ganged mode for both power supplies. (I'm going to use Y cable for dual power supply)

Question :

My mobo (ASRock Z87 OC Formula) has two CPU 12v power connector. If I use both power supply source for CPU power(One of each), will it be better? or worse?

I assume that if the power is shorted directly each other, slight voltage difference can cause massive current between power supplies. Eventually, mobo & power can be damaged.

But if mobo uses power source different way, it might be better. (Or it could be active / standby, increase redundancy)

Thank you in advance. and I appologize for my poor English.

use one PSU to power the mobo and other components

the other PSU solely to power the GPUs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Why the fuck would anyone have 4 way SLI!

The 4th GPU is probably doing nothing.

who the fuck cares

it his build not yours

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

who the fuck cares

it his build not yours

Read the specs in his signature, he does not yet know the satisfaction of dual, tri or quad GPUs. :P

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

who the fuck cares

it his build not yours

I mean his point remains valid, but certainly for the time being the real objective should be helping out. But 4 way sli on that motherboard isn't possible.

Quad SLI and CF is ofc.

@OP one thing you will have to be careful of is you need to short the second psu (on the 24pin cable) in order to allow it to send power through vga. Now I know all G2/P2/T2 psu's come with an attachment that will do this properly, but I'm not sure the other options come with the same thing, and without one, you have to use a piece of wire, which is really janky.

I would personally just recommend a single larger psu. What is your gpu setup if I might ask?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Why the fuck would anyone have 4 way SLI!

The 4th GPU is probably doing nothing.

I use three monitors as surround.

I'm about to use 4 way 980 ti reference. (currently 2-way)

980 ti doesn't support 4-way sli?

Just buy a new 1500w+ psu... If you can afford a 4 card setup, a new psu is nothing.

The main purpose I posted this article is to figure out 2 PSU vs 1 big PSU.

Are you suggesting one big PSU?

I use three monitors as surround.

I'm about to use 4 way 980 ti reference. (currently 2-way)

980 ti doesn't support 4-way sli?

No, Just the scaling will just make the 4th GPU useless or be adding close to no performance and some games you'll preform worse.

Also what is your CPU?

The main purpose I posted this article is to figure out 2 PSU vs 1 big PSU.

Are you suggesting one big PSU?

My 5960x system, 4 Titan X's pull around 1350 watts under full crazy load. So yeah, having a nice big PSU will be better and safer

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

No, Just the scaling will just make the 4th GPU useless or be adding close to no performance and some games you'll preform worse.

Also what is your CPU?

And no. A 4th titan/980ti actually does offer a big boost 

3dmark scores

1x Titan X = 7.4k

2x Titan X = 16.8k

3x Titan X = 24.4k

4x Titan X = 31.7k (427% more)

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Also what is your CPU?

4790k @ 5.1Ghz

I love to change CPU to 5960x but, I already spent lots of money on this system. furthermore, I cannot give up my great CPU which operates over 5G

4790k @ 5.1Ghz

I love to change CPU to 5960x but, I already spent lots of money on this system. furthermore, I cannot give up my great CPU which operates over 5G

I don't think you can do 4 way SLI on a LGA 1150 CPU, I don't think it has enough PCIe lanes.

I will check though

You need at least an 8x slot for each GPU and since the I7 4790k only has 16 lanes, you can only do 2 way SLI.

I don't think you can do 4 way SLI on a LGA 1150 CPU, I don't think it has enough PCIe lanes.

I will check though

I got your point. If I use 4-way SLI, those will not operate fully as x16 PCI-e 3.0. But I read an article that GPU doesn't use full bandwidth PCI-e lanes. PCI-e bandwidth doesn't matter.

Anyway, Z87 OC Formula will work x8/x4/x4 + PCIe 2.0 x4

I got your point. If I use 4-way SLI, those will not operate fully as x16 PCI-e 3.0. But I read an article that GPU doesn't use full bandwidth PCI-e lanes. PCI-e bandwidth doesn't matter.

Anyway, Z87 OC Formula will work x8/x4/x4 + PCIe 2.0 x4

Oh I'm sorry. SLI requires x8 at least.

I Have to upgrade my system.