There you go. Stock intel cooler.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Is there an echo in here? 

I want to lighten the load on the CPU without lightening the load on the GPU, nothing I can do about the stock cooler for now. 

Remove processes that you dont use in task manager. Overclock the cpu so it wont utilise more %. Dont use windows 10.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I am trying to get a lighter load on my stock intel cooled CPU on a particular rig that is similar to the one in my signature but with a 4460 because medium is hitting 90c consistently and I'm not comfortable with that, but light will not utilize my GPU which is basically the main attraction it's a 980ti I want it to utilize my GPU mainly!

By your sig, I bet 10$ you OCed your CPU, no? Just remove it, and you should be fine. Oh, and BTW, buy an aftermarket cooler, otherwise you just wasted a crapton of money on that z97 and k CPU.

At worst, just put it on high and remove the CPU slots.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

By your sig, I bet 10$ you OCed your CPU, no? Just remove it, and you should be fine. Oh, and BTW, buy an aftermarket cooler, otherwise you just wasted a crapton of money on that z97 and k CPU.

At worst, just put it on high and remove the CPU slots.

His FAH rig has a 4460 in it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

The workload on the gpu will remain the same throughout the different settings. But, it is set so that 

your gpu will only work while the pc is in idle on the light setting.

To get a lighter workload i would run some wu's with the chrome client while using the desktop client

for your gpu, just remove the slot entirely or pause the cpu slot in your desktop client.

Alternatively you an go into settings and reduce the amount of threads being used on your cpu, but 

assuming you are already using 3 our of 4, reserving one for the gpu. That will leave you with just 2

cores and 50% utilization which is pretty crummy...

That being said, you shouldn't hit 90 *c even with a stock cooler. Either you have an overclock with iffy

voltage settings which needs to be set back to default, or you need to clean off the thermal paste, apply 

new and reseat your cooler. But rather than that, just get an aftermarket cooler, even a 212 evo, almost 

anything is better than stock. 

You didn't say anything about thermal paste though? You did re-apply thermal paste? only using a small 

dot so that the layer is as thin as possible with optimal coverage, avoiding a thick layer?

You also haven't messed with the cpu core voltage or power settings?

Yeah of course when you clean it you gotta! Yeah in between a grain of rice and a pea right in the middle.

And no.

Well, that is very strange then.. there is clearly something off here.. either way, to get lower

strain on your cpu while still fully using the gpu use the desktop client for your gpu and 

chrome client for your cpu, or lower the threads/cores to only 2 in the desktop client i guess.

It does seem that way doesn't it, it's already on 1 thread, still getting crazy strain and temps because the GPU is probably disproportionately powerful and straining CPU or something? I don't know I'm tired can't think of things that sound better than that.

Folding@home with NVIDIA's drivers visually push the assigned CPU core to 100%.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Have you tried to undervolt the CPU? that can have big impact on temperatures, also the ambient temperature inside the case can make a big difference.

Folding@home with NVIDIA's drivers visually push the assigned CPU core to 100%.

Well, i don't know how many gpu's you have. While the some of the newer cores will tax

the cpu more than previously, you shouldn't see more than maybe 15-20% depending

on the cpu. That is unless something is wrong.. 

Btw, did you mean visually or virtually? 

It does seem that way doesn't it, it's already on 1 thread, still getting crazy strain and temps because the GPU is probably disproportionately powerful and straining CPU or something? I don't know I'm tired can't think of things that sound better than that.

No, that isn't a thing. How much load are you seeing on the cpu and what temp exactly?

Have you taken the temp with cpu-z, realtemp? try both. If you were to take the stock

cooler off, would the thermal paste be spread evenly over a larger area? otherwise you

might have a faulty, or just poorly executed mount. 

Btw, did you mean visually or virtually?

Visually. Like in task manager. In my experience, running Folding@home on my 660 Ti pushes at least one of my cores(3570K) to 100% due to the NVIDIA drivers polling.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Are you trying to run both the 980ti as well as your CPU? Because I would just run the graphics card if I were in your position, since you still using the stock cooler for the CPU.

I initially was on 1 thread, and then I deactivated cpu slot entirely with about a 5 degree improvement in temperature so hanging out around 85 instead of 90! 

I don't really see any real option other than getting a new CPU cooler to reduce temperatures then :/

SO what you are trying to do is set different folding loads for the CPU and the GPU, am I understanding you correctly? Light folding for the CPU and medium/heavy for the GPU? 

and all this because of heat concerns you have for your CPU?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER