Ideas on choice for my build

markwilson

I am quite undecided on which build I should go with for my pretty universal build. I have come down to two builds in which I want help deciding with which would be better.

I am a big gamer, not to worried about price, so that is not a huge factor. I'll be doing 1440 and eventually 4k gaming.

I have been getting into some rendering and video editing, but not very much at all. I'll be using it mostly for gaming and music production.

I am pretty set on all my parts like ram, video card, case, and storage, but my challenge is in deciding which cpu would benefit me in the long run because they are different chip sets.

I'm trying to decide between a $2800 skylake 6700k build or something that is a $2600 6 core build that is something like a 5820k.

Just want everyone's thoughts on what would be best in the long run. Would getting the new chips etc benefit me so I do not have to get a new mother board so soon? Or should I get the 6 core because it has more cores?

Thanks KS so much for any feedback

Skylake for gaming, because its a faster CPU but wait a bit for Zen 

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

You can get a rig in with two 980 Ti' s and a 5820K for that much (unless you live in Canada).

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Zen?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that.

AMDs new Architecture

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

In the long run the x99 setup would be better for you even if you only start doing a little bit of rendering and video editing the 6 core will help. And you'll have an upgrade path to Broadwell-E when it comes out.

The builds are the same basically.

-CPU in question.

-corresponding motherboard to cpu (the Roger asus hero for skylake)

-16g (2x8) ddr4 ram

-GTX 980 TI hybrid

-480g Intel overclocked ssd

- 2tb mechanical hard drive

-case undecided

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($319.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($183.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($699.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($699.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2470.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-04 14:05 EST-0500

Because 4k gaming.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Keep in mind you most likely won't take the same mobo across more than two generations, so even if you go with a Z170 Mobo with a 6700k you'll replace both CPU and Mobo once it's time to upgrade. Haswell-E will probably last you longer than Skylake, and it will suit your needs better if you get more into video editing or rendering. Yet i'd take the 5930k over the 5820k. Add a couple of 980ti's and you'll do just fine for quite a while. 

Ghetto Gaming Rig:
Intel Core i5-4690k; MSI Z97- Gaming 5; 8 gig Hyperx Savage; Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming; XFX XTR 650W; 120 gig Samsung 850evo SSD; Fractal Define S; Logitech G502; HP Pavilion 23xw monitor.

The 5930k is also a 6 core, but is quite a bit more expensive right?

Yeah it's more expensive because it has a slightly higher clock speed and more PCi lanes 28 for the 5820k and 40 for the 5930k

Yes, it also Overclocks a bit better, so it will perform slightly better than the 5820k. Still you're getting into "Diminishing Return", so it's less performance per dollar compared to a 5820k. Let's say if you find a good deal, like 100 dollars more than the 5820k, then it can be worth it, if there's a big price difference then you can do just fine with the 5820k. 

Ghetto Gaming Rig:
Intel Core i5-4690k; MSI Z97- Gaming 5; 8 gig Hyperx Savage; Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming; XFX XTR 650W; 120 gig Samsung 850evo SSD; Fractal Define S; Logitech G502; HP Pavilion 23xw monitor.

Oh awesome! Thanks for the help! I think I know what I'm doing now.

Keep in mind you most likely won't take the same mobo across more than two generations, so even if you go with a Z170 Mobo with a 6700k you'll replace both CPU and Mobo once it's time to upgrade. Haswell-E will probably last you longer than Skylake, and it will suit your needs better if you get more into video editing or rendering. Yet i'd take the 5930k over the 5820k. Add a couple of 980ti's and you'll do just fine for quite a while.

What about with the upcoming 6 core skylake in the next year?

More Pcie lanes are used in 3 or 4-way SLI, if you stick to 2 way SLI you won't actually notice any differences, as you won't be using them. About the 6 core Skylake it depends, the 6700k is a great CPU so i don't think it will be worth it to upgrade from a 6700k to a new Skylake next year. I'd say, if you want to make the purchase now, you'd be better off going with Haswell-E, for the extra cores. The fact is, they will perform just the same in game, as they won't have any problems running a 2 Way 980ti SLI, but Haswell-E would serve you better with editing and rendering, especially if you're using software that has bad GPU accelleration. Theoretically Skylake would perform like 4-5% better in some games, but since you're playing at 4k you'll probably hit GPU bottlenecks sooner than you'll be able to notice any difference.

Ghetto Gaming Rig: